Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: export of snapshots

Roger310
Aspirant

export of snapshots

would like to automaticly export snapshots to my google drive account.

I have already setup the snapshot as weekly and made them visible.

I created the job using the google drive featue on the readynas local device and it appears to be communicating.

Not sure what I should be expecting as the individual snapshot folders are huge (64 GB which is the value of all the files I wanted snapshoted together.). I expected these files to be an image that was easily exportable. What am i missing? Google drive will only accept 15 GB.

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Roger310,

What is the storage capacity of your Google drive? Google Drive capacity starts with a 15GB free storage. They have a subscription plan for additional storage capacity. You may check this link for more information regarding that.

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
Roger310
Aspirant

That's not the issue at this point. But yes I do only have the 15G with google at this point.

I have 64G of information on the Nas drive.
Why is the snapshot also 64G? It seems to me that it should be much smaller as its supposed to be an image file correct?
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Roger310 wrote:

Why is the snapshot also 64G? It seems to me that it should be much smaller as its supposed to be an image file correct?

BTRFS snapshots aren't image files.  Each snapshot has the full contents of the shares when they were taken, so if you have 10 snapshots, backing them up to other storage would take 10x the room it takes to back up the share.

The trick is that data blocks that haven't changed from the original share are held in common, so only the changes take space on the disk.

This post might help clarify how they work: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-312-Need-Help-Understandin...

Message 4 of 6
Roger310
Aspirant

Thank you! That explains what I'm seeing.

So my next question than is there a means of creating an image file to restore from?
I'm not sure that it needed as the NAS is running g in raid 1. But I never trust a single device.
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

You should certainly have a backup of the NAS, since RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.

The closest thing to an "Image backup" is ReadyDR, which is only available if you are backing up to another ReadyNAS.  Of course you can do incremental backups to a USB disk or another network device, or you can back up to cloud storage.  However those options won't let you back up the snapshots (or more precisely, the storage cost of backing up the snapshots would be prohibitive).

My own main backup device is another ReadyNAS, though I use daily incremental rsync backups (not ReadyDR).  Snapshots are enabled on the destination NAS, so I can get most of the older versions (though the snapshots don't match the primary ReadyNAS).  I use rsync because I want the backup to be immediately available (ReadyDR backups need to be restored in order to access the contents).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements