Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

how to add cluod user to shered home folder

tomiaurednik
Tutor

how to add cluod user to shered home folder

Hi,

NAS 104, fw: 6.5.2 or 6.5.1 bouth versions works the some

1. How to access to linux console at NAS?

2. I have NAS user, name  user1, and now I create readycloud user, aslo name: user1 and invite him to public. Works fine. Now I have to invite him to home/shres/user1 but I can not? That he could access his NAS files from everywhere? How to do this?

If I create link, I got standard problems, that download doesn't work. Always transferred only 1 kb file? I read somewhre that this is permission problem, but I still have not figured out how to arrange it. 

Please advise.

Br,

Tomi Aurednik

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: how to add cluod user to shered home folder

Hello tomiaurednik,

ReadyCloud users and local users get their own home share. These home shares are only accessible by the owner and the admin, they cannot be shared.

Have you tried instead of having the ReadyCloud user access the local user home share, when locally accessing the NAS via SMB, log in using ReadyCloud user and see if you will be able to see the home share of that ReadyCloud user. If that works then you can use ReadyCloud user account locally and remotely instead of giving that person a local user account and ReadyCloud user account.

Regards,

Message 2 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hello tomiaurednik

1kb file issue has already been fixed in ReadyOS 6.6,Can you please online update your NAS device to this version?,I'm expecting your feedback.

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

@JennC wrote:

ReadyCloud users and local users get their own home share. These home shares are only accessible by the owner and the admin, they cannot be shared.

Yes, with this sad state of affairs, you are better off not using home shares.  Instead, create folders yourself and give access to the local and ReadyCloud users.  BTW, you cannot create a folder manually that has the same name as a user, and you aren't supposed to be able to create a local and ReadyCloud user with the same name (though it seems you have).

Other pluses of doing this are that you can use RSYNC for backup, where you cannot with home shares, and the file useage shows up on the Shares tab.  Disadvantage, especially if you have a lot of users, is the extra work required.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

...you are better off not using home shares...

That's my advice too.  I wish OS6 let you disable the feature (as OS 4 does).

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements