Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

media not showing up properly on Fire TV or Windows 8.1

theotherwhitema
Aspirant

media not showing up properly on Fire TV or Windows 8.1

When I access my RN104 on readycloud all of the movies and music I've added show up properly. However, when I try to do the same in File Explorer in Windows 8.1 two of the seven movies I've added so far aren't there (all of the movies are mp4's that were encoded the same way). When I try to load video files in Kodi on my Amazon Fire TV my music loads instead.

Any help with how to resolve these issues is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Re: media not showing up properly on Fire TV or Windows 8.1

Did you add the Windows 8.1 movies from the same PC?
Message 2 of 11
theotherwhitema
Aspirant

I added them from 2 different PCs (the other running Windows 7), but there are movies that show up in Windows 8.1 that were added from both machines.

Also, I was seeing the same behavior in Kodi on the Amazon Fire TV before I added my music to the RN104. And now instead of there being movies displayed in the Videos directory, I only see my music collection (which is in the Music directory on the RN104).
Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

I've never used Kodi, but the issues you are describing there sounds like either a tagging problem or a naming problem.

On the multiple windows machines - are you saying that some movies are visible from machine A but not machine B? Or that some movies you uploaded can't be found at all.
Message 4 of 11
theotherwhitema
Aspirant

I'll have to do some more looking into the Kodi issue, but the RN104 is displayed differently on the Windows 8.1 machine than it is on the Windows 7 machine. In Windows 7 when I look at the Network view in Windows Explorer the RN104 is listed under the sections for Computer, Media Devices, and Storage. It's only listed under Media Devices and Storage in Windows 8.1.

Also, it is displayed under the My Computer view in Windows 8.1 but isn't displayed in that view in Windows 7. When I browse in Windows 8.1, two of the movies aren't displayed at all, while all the movies are displayed in Windows 7.

The only time that I can see all of the movies in Windows 8.1 is if I enter the IP address of the RN104 in the location of File Explorer. Then it also shows up as a computer under the Network section.

It just seems like there's something that's screwed up with DLNA to have missing files the way one version of Windows sees it and to have music files showing up as videos on my media player in the living room.
Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

So \\ipaddress\folder works on 8.1 (showing you all the movies). Does \\nasname\folder work also?

When you are browsing, how exactly are you selecting the share?
Message 6 of 11
theotherwhitema
Aspirant

When the two movies aren't displayed, I'm selecting it from Network Locations in the This PC view of File Explorer in Windows 8.1.

When all the movies are displayed, I'm selecting it under the Network section of the taskbar on the left of File Explorer.

When I go to \\nasname\folder, it works the same as \\ipaddress\folder and all of the movies are shown.
Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Well, the obvious work-around is not to select it from network locations.

Do you have ReadyDLNA or Plex installed on the NAS
Message 8 of 11
theotherwhitema
Aspirant

In messing around a bit with Kodi, I have determined that the problem of files not showing up properly is related to upnp connectivity. When I connect via smb, everything shows up fine. Is there an advantage to using upnp over smb? If so, do I need to install Ready DLNA to use upnp?

I haven't installed ReadyDLNA or Plex (or anything really). I am running version 6.2.4 of the firmware and assumed that upnp was built in.
Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

ReadyDLNA is built in, but you'd need to enable it in system->settings under services. Then you'd also need to turn it on for each media share (network access in the share settings). Plex would need to be installed as an app, and it is set up through plex.tv (you'd also need at least a free account there). Plex has its own media naming conventions - they look similar to Kodi's, but might not be identical.

I use SMB with my media players, and I think its a better option if the player supports it. We also use SMB to access videos on our computers (VLC player).

I have set up plex for mobile devices/away from home use on the RN200 series - which supports transcoding. The CPU on the RN100 isn't fast enough for transcoding though.
Message 10 of 11
theotherwhitema
Aspirant

Thanks. After my previous post, I checked, and ReadyDLNA is enabled, so I'm guessing there's some bug with it that's causing the issue. I'll just stick with SMB since that will cover what I'm wanting to do.

Thanks again for all your help.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements