Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: readynas backblaze b2 problem connection

Falstaff
Aspirant

readynas backblaze b2 problem connection

I am on OS 6.10.6.  Every time I try to connect to Backblaze b2 via the s3 interface, I get an error "unable to read amazon bucket list."  This is in the system log:

Dec 07 12:35:17 phoenix libngcsd[5955]: Curl returned error code 60. SSL peer certificate or SSH remote key was not OK
Dec 07 12:35:17 phoenix libngcsd[5955]: { Error type: 1, Exception: , Message: , HttpResponseCode: 0, ResponseBody: , Retryable: 1 }

I am using an access key with read and write permission.  I am using a private bucket if that matters.  I have triple checked that the url and keys are correct.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

Model: RN626X|ReadyNAS 626X – 6 Bays with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 1 of 15
bvbbvb
Guide

I have exactly the same problem. While it hasn't solved my issue, your S3/Backblaze key must have the listAllBucketNames permission.

Message 2 of 15
Falstaff
Aspirant

I think I have determined that the readynas s3 code uses V2 security, and backblaze requires v4.  I switched to using duplicity.

Message 3 of 15
bvbbvb
Guide

Backblaze support seems to agree: "The requirement for V4 signatures is indeed a part of the S3 compatible API. The older versions have been deprecated and as a result, we have stopped supporting them. Unfortunately, I am not able to troubleshoot their device and it's utilities. I would recommend reaching out to their support to see if there is a way to update or alter the signature they are using. Apologies for not being able to be more help there."

We really need Netgear Support to chime in here with their viewpoint. Is Backblaze unusable with ReadyNAS forever? Does that mean other S3 interfaces will die as they stop accepting V2 signatures?

Message 4 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@bvbbvb wrote:

We really need Netgear Support to chime in here with their viewpoint. Is Backblaze unusable with ReadyNAS forever? Does that mean other S3 interfaces will die as they stop accepting V2 signatures?

@JeraldM :  is this something you can check on?

Message 5 of 15
Timtech
Guide

Has anyone heard back from NetGear on this issue?

I just noticed my Backblaze backup stopped around mid December without any error that I could see.  I did upgrade the ReadyNAS OS around December 20th after that time and have since reverted to the Hotfix 1 which worked great for months.  Now Backblaze won't work with the new OR the old OS.

I too contacted BackBlaze and they mentioned that we must be on V4.  I think Backblaze changed something on their end, since I reverted to the older OS, it should work again but it doesn't.

Anyone have any ideas?  Does anyone know where the logs are stored  for the S3 backup section and I can see what the logs say when trying to connect?

Message 6 of 15
bvbbvb
Guide

Since I don't own a product under warranty, I'm apparently cut off from any opportunity to communicate with Netgear support. All I hear about this significant problem is crickets...

Message 7 of 15
sapmec
Aspirant

It looks like @JeraldM is a Moderator...was there any movement on this? As of now, the built-in S3 Cloud app on the ReadyNAS is completely broken due to the change in Signature requirements for this standard integration.

Message 8 of 15
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @sapmec,

We'll need a feature request to support v4.

That being said, kindly PM me the serial number of the NAS for escalation.

Alternatively, you may post it here on the Ideas Exchange Board:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Business/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-business

Regards, 

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 15
dhynas
Aspirant

@Falstaff , what do you mean by "I switched to using duplicity"?  I've run into the same problem, and I am also looking for a solution.  TIA

Message 10 of 15
Timtech
Guide

I'm assuming this effects all ReadyNAS since it's in the firmware so I have started to look into replacements.  I really like my little beast and hate to give up the ship but I really need a low cost  S3 backup with multiple copies.

I'm out of warranty so I don't think I can open a ticket.  Has anyone else with support opened a ticket?

Message 11 of 15
bvbbvb
Guide

I'm out of warranty, too, but Netgear appears to have opened a courtesy case for me, 45615391:

My name is Rene and I will be working with your case. We may need to open a feature request to support v4 signature on Amazon S3. But it will be best to open it using our website below so you can interact directly to our Engineers.

@Timtech wrote:

I'm assuming this effects all ReadyNAS since it's in the firmware so I have started to look into replacements.  I really like my little beast and hate to give up the ship but I really need a low cost  S3 backup with multiple copies.

I'm out of warranty so I don't think I can open a ticket.  Has anyone else with support opened a ticket?

Message 12 of 15
HairyDrumroll
Aspirant

@bvbbvb wrote:

I'm out of warranty, too, but Netgear appears to have opened a courtesy case for me, 45615391

Any updates?

Message 13 of 15
Timtech
Guide

I ended up going with a Synology.  I didn't see any extra performance but at least Backblaze is working again.

Message 14 of 15
sapmec
Aspirant

FYI...for what's it's worth I switched to using ChronoSync app locally on server that does a sync with target Backblaze service.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements