Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: smb://readyshare

ejbpesca
Aspirant

smb://readyshare

Attempting to reach the ReadyShare server I get a message that the server is not reachable.  Has ReadyShare stopped operating?

Is there another way to store data to the USB drive on my modem other than ReadyShare?

Message 1 of 8
schumaku
Guru

The most confusing thing here - it's not a cloud server, it's a service operated on the local device, eg. your unspecified router.

The crux is that the name resolution for "readyshare" is done by the SMB 1.0 transport as well as for NetBIOS name resolution and the fact that newer Windows 10 or 11 builds don't have both enabled by default anymore. Read you need to enable the SMB 1.0 

Add or Remove Programs method

Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and Windows 11: Add or Remove Programs method
Add-Remove Programs client method

To disable SMBv1 for the mentioned operating systems:

In Control Panel, select Programs and Features.
Under Control Panel Home, select Turn Windows features on or off to open the Windows Features box.
In the Windows Features box, scroll down the list, clear the check box for SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and select OK.
After Windows applies the change, on the confirmation page, select Restart now.

Note: This feature is not affected by Netgear's announcement of terminating the ReadyCloud service.

Message 2 of 8
ejbpesca
Aspirant

Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 8.38.51 AM.png

Message 3 of 8
ejbpesca
Aspirant

NetGear Genie appear that I am set to go with USB access but I cannot bring up/open the USB drive, it does not appear anywhere on my Mac.  Usually a drive icon will appear when any drive is connected I do this but get the above image.

Instructions for USB accèss are as follows:

Finder > Go > Connect to Server > smb://readyshare

The above took me to a screen that appeared to be access to the USB 3 installed on the router.  It did this ONCE then produces the screen above.

Message 4 of 8
schumaku
Guru
ejbpesca
Aspirant

Yes, that is the instructions I am following but I get this instead of access:

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@ejbpesca wrote:

Finder > Go > Connect to Server > smb://readyshare

What happens if you use the LAN IP address of your router instead of readyshare?

Message 7 of 8
ejbpesca
Aspirant

Progress:

Entering at Connect to Server with an ftp:// prefix will allow an attempt to connect but the connection is not made.  Wheel spins then gives up.  The prescribed smb:// prefix from Netgear is not accept by this MacBook Ventura.

The image for a server does not appear in Finder after the connection attempt.  It would be the image of an external drive with 3 people icons holding hands.

At least I found a prefix this Mac likes.  I turned on file sharing. But still no connection. 

Maybe reboot everything next.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements