× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

About smartphone application

Mohamed_Ramadan
Aspirant

About smartphone application

Hi all,

i am about to buy ReadyNAS RN422 (RN42200), but i notice the application on both android and iphone has issues as per the users review, is it recomonded to go for ReadyNAS at all while it has these issue, knowing that my team and i we are using google drive application on smartphone alot for business.

also, for useres who has been using the application since long time.. are the developers giving good support on the smartphones application ?

Regards

Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: About smartphone application

I imagine you are talking about ReadyCloud.

Though some people do use it for business, it's really intended for consumer use.  Personally I recommend deploying a VPN solution for remote access instead.  ZeroTier can be installed on the NAS.  OpenVPN is another option, though normally that would be installed in the router.  Both have free apps for both Android and iOS.

Message 2 of 7
Mohamed_Ramadan
Aspirant

Dear Stephen,

thank you for your advice, the issue i dont want advanced setting as i have so many things to maintain in my office, i need something easier, i will check what other NAS products can offer.

Message 3 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

ZeroTier doesn't really involve "advanced settings".  Once installed, you administer it via a web server, much like ReadyCloud.  But it has a lot more to offfer than ReadyCloud, IMHO.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

ZeroTier doesn't really involve "advanced settings".  Once installed, you administer it via a web server, much like ReadyCloud.  But it has a lot more to offer than ReadyCloud, IMHO.

I agree, particularly for business use cases.  And it doesn't require day to day administration, so it wouldn't take much time/energy once it was set up.

You do need to add/remove the client devices that are on the ZeroTier network.  In a business environment it'd be important to note which device is which (so you can remove devices that employees drop, and also remove devices owned by former employees).  

ReadyCloud or similar approaches require similar administration, though with many it would be managed account by account.  One benefit of ZeroTier's approach is that you can easily block access for a stolen or lost device.  With ReadyCloud, if the credentials are saved in the device you'd need to deactivate the account, and migrate all the data to a new one. Of course either way the data on the device is compromised.

ZeroTier does assume some knowledge of how layer 2 networks work - and in small businesses where tech support is a "side job", the tech person might not have that knowledge.  But there are some useful guides to get you started, and you don't need to use all the capabilities to set up a simple SDN.

Neither management approach scales very easily to a really large network (hundreds of employees), but I think ZeroTier should work well for smaller ones.

Message 5 of 7
Mohamed_Ramadan
Aspirant

after doing some researches, i ended up that what i need is owncloud, is it possible to install it on this device ? if so, does it support latest version ?

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Owncloud (and Netcloud) ReadyNAS apps can be purchase for a small cost here: https://rnxtras.com/readynas-os6-x86

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements