× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Anyone has access to folders (usernames and passwords are ignored)

JordanThompson
Aspirant

Anyone has access to folders (usernames and passwords are ignored)

I set up my shares to be r/w for all users and admin (removed all access for anonymous)

I created users with passwords

when I remotely connect to the NAS, I can access any of the shares without having to enter a username or password. 

Seems like this should be easier than it is...

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Anyone has access to folders (usernames and passwords are ignored)

@JordanThompson wrote:

I set up my shares to be r/w for all users and admin (removed all access for anonymous)

when I remotely connect to the NAS, I can access any of the shares without having to enter a username or password. 

Likely Windows is remembering the credentials.

Reboot the PC and try again.  If the behavior doesn't change, then open the Windows Credential Manager and look for any credentials for the NAS.

Also, I suggest that you manage access using the network access tab (leaving file access alone).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@JordanThompson wrote:

Likely Windows is remembering the credentials.

Reboot the PC and try again.  If the behavior doesn't change, then open the Windows Credential Manager and look for any credentials for the NAS.

Also, I suggest that you manage access using the network access tab (leaving file access alone).

Message 2 of 4
JordanThompson
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Your suggestion to reboot fixed my problem - Thanks!

I have been handling permissions via the Shares tab.  I didn't see anything under the Network tab.

Am I missing something?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@JordanThompson wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

Your suggestion to reboot fixed my problem - Thanks!

I have been handling permissions via the Shares tab.  I didn't see anything under the Network tab.

Am I missing something?

In the shares settings, you will see both a network access tab and a file access tab. 

settings.png

What I am suggesting is that you leave the file access tab set up to allow full access for everyone to the files and folders in the share.  And then control access to the share itself via the network access tab (selecting SMB).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements