× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Anyone tried Let's Encrypt / Cerbot on the ReadyNAS (esp for Owncloud)?

Sandshark
Sensei

Anyone tried Let's Encrypt / Cerbot on the ReadyNAS (esp for Owncloud)?

I run OwnCloud on one NAS as a way of exchanging files with a small group.  Some have a real problem with the lack of a "proper" SSL certificate.  They are too virus paranoid to tell their browser to ignore that for a site the know is safe.  I do have a registered domain name, so, I'm looking at getting a certificate for it from a certificate authority.  Let's Encrypt, via the Cerbot Linux client looks like an interesting (most interestingly, free) option.  Has anybody tried it on a ReadyNAS?

Message 1 of 8
osilvab
Aspirant

Im in the same situation trying to use my domain with a DDNS from no-ip.com to my owncoloud installed in the NAS 102.

I have installed cerbot following the instructions in

https://certbot.eff.org/#debianother-apache

the auto couldnt do it itself so i had to run the certonly mode.

m problem is that Cerbot i asking for my webroot directory. i do not have any idea what is it.

Message 2 of 8
osilvab
Aspirant

I have also tried this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Letsencrypt-certbot-experiments-with-ReadyNAS-O...

but if I chose the standalone option i get an error that port 443 is running other service. even after stoping apache or killing it  i can not liberate the 443 port.

still no succes with letsencrypt on the readynas.

@chrhei

Message 3 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

@osilvab wrote:

m problem is that Cerbot i asking for my webroot directory. i do not have any idea what is it.

For OwnCloud, it's /c/apps/owncloud/web.  I'm not sure if you need the leading /c or not.  If you've created a website in a normal share, then it's /c/data/sharename.  Basically, it's wherever the appropriate index.html is.

Message 4 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

@osilvab wrote:

I chose the standalone option i get an error that port 443 is running other service. even after stoping apache or killing it  i can not liberate the 443 port.

still no succes with letsencrypt on the readynas.

Any tries with 6.6.0, since it's Jessie based?

lsof -i :443 returns the list of processes using port 443.  On the system I use for experimentation and have ReadyCloud enabled on, one of the processes is leafp2p, which is the ReadyCloud VPN engine.  There are also a couple others, as I have a lot of apps working on it.  On a live system without ReadyCloud enabled and very few apps, only apache2 is using it (though supporting multiple PIDs).

Message 5 of 8
osilvab
Aspirant

@Sandshark wrote:
For OwnCloud, it's /c/apps/owncloud/web. I'm not sure if you need the leading /c or not. If you've created a website in a normal share, then it's /c/data/sharename. Basically, it's wherever the appropriate index.html is.

yes, I tried this but i got error in Cerbot, but it could have been because my apache seems not well configured now. see this thread

Im afraid the Cerbot tries to work with the default apache folders and config files and overwrote somethings.

@Sandshark wrote:

Any tries with 6.6.0, since it's Jessie based?

lsof -i :443 returns the list of processes using port 443.  On the system I use for experimentation and have ReadyCloud enabled on, one of the processes is leafp2p, which is the ReadyCloud VPN engine.  There are also a couple others, as I have a lot of apps working on it.  On a live system without ReadyCloud enabled and very few apps, only apache2 is using it (though supporting multiple PIDs).

Im on 6.6.0. I tried the Cerbot for Jessie but it didnt find the packages, like if the reporsitory is not there. that is why I followed the "Debian (Other)" instructions

when i had the error about the 443 port I used lsof -i. (btw the -i suffix is not working anymore) and netstat to find out what was working in the 443port. it was apache as expected and I killed manualy. then run again Cerbot and everything got worse. see this thread

Message 6 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

The instructions do say you need to add the backports repository to the sources list before it will install with apt-get.  But given the problems you had, and the solutions you've tried, I doubt the auto install would work, anyway.  I was concerned that the non-standard directory structure could cause an issue, and it looks like my concern was warranted.

I'm not really much of a Linux guy, anyway.  I used Unix (and even Multics) quite a number of years ago, but I have to Google a lot for modern Linux usage.  So, I doubt I'll have any better luck installing it.  Thanks for the updates.  Looks like I need another solution.

Message 7 of 8
osilvab
Aspirant

I managed to ger the SSL certificate, please see this thread for more details

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements