× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bittorent Sync/BtSync not storing configuration

Bittorent Sync/BtSync not storing configuration

I have installed super-poussin's Bittorrent Sync/BtSync 1.2.82 (btsync_1.2.82_all.deb) from the Community Dropbox. I changed the Device Name and Authorization Password in the WebUI Settings and also added several Folders. The Folders are synchronized with my other systems.

When restarting the ReadyNAS 102 (Firmware 6.1.4), Bittorrent Sync/BtSync is getting started again, but all Setting changes, e.g., Device Name and Authorization Password, and also all Folders are gone.

I also have the PowerPC version of Bittorrent Sync/BtSync running on a Western Digital MyBookLiveDuo, but there the settings are kept when shutting down/restarting the btsync service.

I am aware of the config file for Bittorrent Sync/BtSync, which I have used on the MyBookLiveDuo to change the Device Name/Authorization Password, but I did not need to modify it to keep the Folder configuration.

Has anybody else noticed this problem on the ReadyNAS and possibly found a solution? Is there maybe some directory that is not available or read-only, so that the configuration cannot be stored?
Message 1 of 12

Re: Bittorent Sync/BtSync not storing configuration

The problem seems to be with the permissions for the directory that Bittorrent Sync/BtSync uses to store the Folders and Settings.

The app is installed with its data directory under '/data/btsync'. The directories' owner & group, including '.sync', is 'guest' and the access is restricted to read-only for users of other groups. As the btsync process is later started by the 'admin' user, which is in the 'admin' group, it cannot create or update any of the settings' files.

I solved the issue for myself by changing the directory/file permissions to allow write access to all users/groups. With this, the Folders and Settings/Authorizations are now finally saved.

Hopefully super-poussin can fix this problem in the next release, so that it will work for a fresh install.
Message 2 of 12
super_poussin
Virtuoso

new version on the dropbox should solve this 🙂 thanks for reporting
Message 3 of 12
Sobal
Aspirant

super-poussin wrote:
new version on the dropbox should solve this 🙂 thanks for reporting

The same problem with ver. 1.2.82 from dropbox and ReadyNAS 104 (6.1.5) 😞

Maciek
Message 4 of 12
Sobal
Aspirant

Solved by chown to admin/admin and chmod to write for owner and group for folders above sync.conf.
Message 5 of 12
alanwsg1
Aspirant

I have the same problem, the Bittorrent sync client doesn't save it's settings through reboots..

I've tried setting the permissions on the relevant folders ...
I did ..

cd /apps
chmod 777 btsync
chown admin:admin btsync
cd btsync
chmod 777 config
chown admin:admin config

Does that look right?
I've rebooted and stopped/started the client several times but the "sync.conf" file in /apps/btsync/config never gets updated.

I have version 1.2.82 running on OS6.1.6 on a RN102.

Any ideas?
Message 6 of 12
super_poussin
Virtuoso

I'm note able to reproduce the issue 😞
Message 7 of 12
alanwsg1
Aspirant

Tried every combination of owner & access rights I could think of but still couldn't get the BtSync App to save its settings over a reboot.

Eventually un-installed it and installed the btsync software by hand, put an entry in init.d to start it at boot time and it works just fine. I haven't got a nice button in frontview to stop/start it but I can live without that.

I think the problem is something to do with passing the sync.cong file to btsync via the '--config' parameter. I'm not sure that's even necessary, I didn't use when starting it by hand.

Anyhoo, I've got it all working now so I'm happy!
Message 8 of 12
TonV
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue, running 6.1.6 and whenever I reboot I lose my saved configuration...
I would really like it to work as designed, the tools seems really powerful!

btw, on the Bittorent site I see they already have version 1.3.87 available, is there any way to upgrade?
I'm not really a linux expert, and using the GUI to install is my preferred method 🙂

Cheers!
Message 9 of 12
fastfwd
Virtuoso

Don't use 1.3.87. Like all of the 1.3.x versions so far, it has bugs.

1.2.92 is still the most reliable version at this point.
Message 10 of 12
super_poussin
Virtuoso

The btsync team will provide official version
Message 11 of 12
latitudehopper
Aspirant

Interestingly I was brought here by trying to answer a similar problem. To get around the current bug with the official BTSYNC plugin where R/W keys don't work I have created a new share with RO and have rsynced the data from the old share. Now BTS is struggling as the perms on the rsynced files are wrong. What group/user should they be to allow btsync to write to the share?
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements