× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Bluetooth Advice - sma-bluetooth

curry100
Follower

Bluetooth Advice - sma-bluetooth

Hello,

1st time poster here. I'm in the process of migrating squeezebox server, bundle of my perl scripts etc. from a CentOS server which died over to a smaller power ReadyNAS Dou(v1) and that's going pretty much fine.

I have 1 last tool which I run on a regular basis storing Solar PV stats to a MYSQL database and also uploads o http://pvoutput.org The tool is called 'sma bluetooth' details here:
http://code.google.com/p/sma-bluetooth/

I have a SENA UD100 Bluetooth USB Adapter and did try to install the bluez-utils to check hcitool, but the device wasn't recognised, so I have something missing there.

http://code.google.com/p/sma-bluetooth/wiki/Installation comment dated Jun 17, 2011 has a nice list of the other requirements needed to get it working, but some of the installation requirements I couldn't obtain with apt-get

Full list is: though mysql and curl are already installed fine.
"apt-get install build-essential mysql-server libbluetooth-dev libmysqlclient-dev curl libcurl3-dev"

I'm reasonably ok getting around on boxes if things work with apt-get, after that I tend to fall over 🙂
If there's any advice or steps you think I could go through to get this running it would be really appreciated. Once its working I'll document how I got it working for anyone else that may be interested.

Many Thanks,
Harry
Message 1 of 11
pacifox
Aspirant

I am very interested in it too ... Thanks in advance!
Message 2 of 11
optimus1
Aspirant

This is exactly the scenario I'm in and why I've signed up here (p.s. Hi!).

Would love some advice on getting bluetooth to work on 4.1.19 (SPARC).
Message 3 of 11
chirpa
Luminary

I haven't messed with bluetooth in over three years. May set it up one of these days again.

Here is what I did back then: viewtopic.php?p=148357#p148357
Message 4 of 11
optimus1
Aspirant

Thanks Chirpa, I've been following your guides. They've been most helpful in providing me with points from which to google answers.

I've never dealt with kernel modules before so tonight's exercise is to see where that will lead/if it's required. I was able to install bluez-utils last night and I have been able to see a device connected via USB with a description of 'bluetooth' (can't recall if it was via `lsusb` though), so I hope that it's now a case of tying those two pieces together.

It seems the bluez documentation/wiki has disappeared from the internet which makes it harder to work out how to list detected BT devices!
Message 5 of 11
optimus1
Aspirant

A follow up.

I've downloaded the GPL sources, extracted the kernel files and run a `make menuconfig`. I enabled the only bluetooth item I could see (under 'USB Devices -> bluetooth (experimental)'). However when I then run a `make dep` or `make` I get the following error message:

sparc-linux-gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/opt/linux-infrant-2.4.20/include -g -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -m32 -pipe -mno-fpu -fcall-used-g5 -fcall-used-g7 -S -o check_asm_data.s check_asm_data.c
check_asm_data.c:19: error: syntax error before numeric constant
check_asm_data.c:19: error: syntax error before numeric constant
check_asm_data.c:159: error: syntax error before '}' token
check_asm_data.c:5: warning: array `check_asm_data' assumed to have one element
make[1]: *** [check_asm] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/linux-infrant-2.4.20/arch/sparc/kernel'
make: *** [check_asm] Error 2
soundwave:/opt/linux-infrant-2.4.20#

Does this mean there's a problem with the src files in the GPL download? Or maybe make menuconfig isn't setting something correctly?
Message 6 of 11
chirpa
Luminary

I haven't tried it on a Sparc system. You will be more limited with the older code base on that platform.
Message 7 of 11
optimus1
Aspirant

Ah the joys of being a trail blazer! :lol:

Makes me wonder though as to whether the GPL downloads are actually the exact same ones used to build the 4.1.19 Raidiator release for Sparc systems given that I can't compile them on the system...

I haven't done any systems programming for a long time but is this a usual issue when compiling sources across platforms? Am I likely to have better success if I cross-compile the sources on another linux box?
Message 8 of 11
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

We cross-compile the kernel. You can get our cross-compiler toolchain from here.
Message 9 of 11
optimus1
Aspirant

Thank you Skywalker, looks like my weekend project is sorted. 🙂

I shall report back with what I discover to help out others.
Message 10 of 11
sarahz
Aspirant

I connect easily the NXT brick to my computer (windows 7) but after that, the RobotC programm does not see it!
After clicking "repeat search" in USB or Bluetooth selection, I have immediatly the message "no 'NXT' bricks could be found".
Thank you to help for a solution.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements