× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CPU Utilization

Digital999
Luminary

CPU Utilization

Is there an app or plugin that will display the current CPU utilization.?  

It would be useful for troubleshooting and to determine the result of various system parameters -- btrfs selection, bit-rot selection, snapshot on highly used files, etc.

It is difficult to manage a system when there is no idea of the current load on the CPU actually is. 

FYI, if you install PLEX you can see their view of CPU utilization with their app.  It can't be rocket science to see some of the system basic information. 

Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: CPU Utilization

@Digital999 wrote:

It can't be rocket science to see some of the system basic information. 

It would be good if this were added to the performance page of the web ui.

Message 2 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

There is an HTOP add-on available.  Linux Dash has also been suggested before for this.  I've not tried either, I just generally keep an SSH session open so I can run top if needed.  I keep it open because if the CPU use approaches 100% (which I've seen it do), SSH will usually fail to connect.

Message 3 of 8
Digital999
Luminary

Thank you for you reply.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with the programs or processes you discussed. 

We are a Windows centric organization and my job is to deploy and manage distributed systems nationwide.  As such I expect to purchase solutions and not attempt to 'make do' with other tools.  As I understand it, opening a SSH session has a degree of technical/operational risk associated with it.  I certainly would not expect my semi-technical support staff at each location to  understand or deal with that degree of technical sophsifistication.  Their primary job is to make, sell and deliver widgits. 

We need systems/tools that are readily available for management and maintenance.

Message 4 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

HTOP is not a "make do", ithere is a ReadyNAS add-on for it.  You can find it here: https://apps.readynas.com/pages/?page_id=9 .

SSH itself has zero risk.  The risk is what you do with it.  Using it strictly for monitoring, such as with the TOP command, imposes no risk.  Linux Dash would have to be installed via SSH, so there is minor risk involved with it.

The native GUI would certainly be improved with more visibility into these without the need for an add-o, however..

Message 5 of 8
Digital999
Luminary

My intention in  my last comment was not to be dismissive but to explain my view.

I want to buy products that solve problems -- sort of like the last car I purchased, I do not want to understand about engine dynamics, RPMs and red line issues, oil intricies, wiring diagrams and fuses, etc.  Instead I want to buy a package, use it and get the benefits.

For my organization, computers and NAS systems and most networking devices are in the same category -- buy 'em for their benefits and use them.  It is sometimes useful to understand what is "under the hood' but I am willilng to pay extra for not having to do that.

I would never ask my simi-technical folks in the branch offices to understand/use a command line interface.  If it is not in the GUI then it is not available (to them) in my view.  Additionally a GUI typically protects against inadvertandant mistakes which can be frequent in a command line I/F.  I personally may dip into the internals once in a while but that is the exception, not the predominate approach. 

Once the  available technology gets to the point of a GUI and no 'geek speak' is required then it positioned to be rolled out on a larger scale.  Netgear is on the cusp of being available/usable by average users. 

My personal opinion is that better and more robust GUI interfaces will lead to a larger market of customers who will purchae.

Message 6 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

I mistakenly though HTOP had a web interface.  If it's supposed to, it's not working in the current OS.

But there is an app version of Linux Dash, and it does have a web interface.  It's available on the "Available Apps" page of the GUI.  It probably has more than you need, but you can close out items you don't need to keep it from being so busy.

Message 7 of 8
Digital999
Luminary

Thank you for pointing me to this APP.  I am not certain I understand everything that is being displayed but it looks like it would be useful for a quick view of the system operation. 

Thanks !!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements