× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can a "Recycle Bin " App be made? - Not particularly interested in Snapshots!

MrCyberdude
Tutor

Can a "Recycle Bin " App be made? - Not particularly interested in Snapshots!

Can a "Recycle Bin " App be made? - Not interested in Snapshots!

Running OS6 and looking for the OS5 option of a "Recycle Bin"

I have spotted this old thread below that talks of this, but wanted an app to keep the process simple.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Can-Recycle-Bin-be-enabled-for-CIFS...

I do not want to SSH into the ReadyNAs unit.

What about a "SHARES" - "SETTINGS" Tab next to, or even inside the "SNAPSHOTS" Tab.

Is @super_poussin still around writing fabulous apps for the ReadyNas?

Thanks in Advance

MrCyberdude

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can a "Recycle Bin " App be made? - Not particularly interested in Snapshots!

There is no app for this, and at the moment it can only be done with ssh.

Message 2 of 6
MrCyberdude
Tutor

Thanks for the reply @StephenB, that is exactly why I asked if it could be "made into an app?"

I have found snapshots problematic and time-consuming to navigate and simply miss the recycle bin option.

Surely it's a walk in the park for someone in the forum, or even god forbid, Netgear to convert the directions in the link I provided to an app to enable it as a simple feature.

The original article is from 2013, is it actually a current workaround? 

FYI, Stephen, I was a very active forum member before the forum software made it impossible for me to find anything. Removing old article links also threw away a lot of useful info. The lack of genuine useful help is driving people away from Netgear to other brands. Sad state of affairs, in my opinion, all due to Netgear killing the forum functionality.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@MrCyberdude wrote:

The original article is from 2013, is it actually a current workaround? 

Though I haven't done it myself, the post here looks correct: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Can-Recycle-Bin-be-enabled-for-CIFS...

You do want to put everything into addons.conf because that isn't rebuilt by the ReadyNAS software.  

I haven't analyzed the longer scripts in the thread.

@MrCyberdude wrote:

I have found snapshots problematic and time-consuming to navigate and simply miss the recycle bin option.

If you use Windows, you can just right-click on the file and look at previous versions.

Though the functionality isn't really quite the same as the recycle bin.

@MrCyberdude wrote:

Thanks for the reply @StephenB, that is exactly why I asked if it could be "made into an app?"

There are apps in other places than apps.readynas.com, so I was intending to say that I don't know of any apps anywhere for this.

It probably wouldn't be difficult to create one, so perhaps someone will.  You could reach out to @WhoCares_ either here or through rnxtras.com.

Message 4 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Since Netgear has not updated their information for potential app developers for quite some time and has never provided anything that's not written for sombody who is a Linux programming expert, it's hard to say if it would be "easy".  An app is designed to install a program, and utilizes the underlying Linux apt command.  Adding the recycle bin does not add a program, and what must be added depends on your shares configuration, so it's not quite as simple as you might think.  I'm sure a script could be created that also has to be run via SSH that could do it, but it's just easier to do manually since you have to be in SSH anyway.

There is another way, though you have to be careful, and that's using the configuration backup capability.  If you create a zip that contains /etc/frontview/samba/addons/addons.conf with the content as shown in the other post and using an editor that can create a Linux type text file with LF instead of CRLF for EoL, then you can upload that .zip file as a configuration restoration.  It does not matter that the other config files are not there, it just "restores" what's in the .zip file.

Note that you can't use this method to install and configure the script that cleans the recycle bins on a schedule.

Given that this is mostly using a capability in Samba, not something proprietary to Netgear, I frankly do not understand the reason for not inlcuding it in OS6 from the beginning, Netgear's reluctance to add it back after many have asked for it, nor their insistance that Snapshots are in some way similar or better.  Snapshots are different, better for some uses, and not for others,

Message 5 of 6
MrCyberdude
Tutor

@Sandshark Thanks for the detailed reply. I'll look at your suggestion. The reason I posted was mainly because if it is annoying me there must be a huige number of people out there with the same issue.

I used to SSH into my NAS's regularly, all 5 of them, but those days are over as I just do not have the time to fix anything I may potentially break. And over the years I have had a few ReadyNas breakages with all the beta firmwares.

Just so you know that I'm not just being lazy and talking out of my hat... Have a look at this thread  for example, https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/2TB-WD20EARS-HCL-Advanced-Format-4k-Sect...

This was me trying to get Netgear to acknowledge they had messed up the sector allocation method in their NAS's which caused a MASSIVE performance hit, that they denied.

Eventually by work from @super_poussin we proved the issue, identified the cause and implemented the FIX.

I feel the Netgear has esentially gone from having the best NAS available years ago to throwing all the talent away. I mean to ruin the Forums and delete MDGM's repository are just the first one's that jump into my head.

I for one NEVER understood the lack of a recycle bin when most consumers that their products were aimed at, were windows users.

The ready NAS run a unix type OS so it should be easy enough if we still have any forum users left here that haven't lost interest from all the Netgear roadblocks.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements