× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot access ReadyNAS Duo from Mac OS Catalina

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Cannot access ReadyNAS Duo from Mac OS Catalina

Hi, I had problems about a year ago when my Time Machine stopped working. I think it happend with me updating my Mac OS and didn't have time to check on it. I know tried to get my NAS working but have not succeded yet. Here is all I have tried.

If I connect my NAS directly to my router. I cannot access it, nor see it in the list of connected devices on the routers admin page.

If I connect my NAS directly to my computer. I cann see the NAS on Finder but get a connection error. Netgear Raidar is able to find the NAS (if I turn off my WiFi), but I get ann error when trying to access the admin page "Your NETGEAR storage is not accessible from this computer. Check your network settings.".

If tried both assigning a static IP Adress to the NAS and getting one assigned automatically to it but no luck. NETGEAR Raidar says however that the router has the IP address 192.168.168.168, no matter which IP Adress I assign to the NAS or which IP adress gets assigned automatically to the IP Adress.

I remember that I used to be able to specify the user when clicking the "Connect as" button on Finder, but I cannot do that anymore. I've tried accessing my NAS from two different MacBook Pros but have not succeded. 

Any ideas on how I can gain access to my NAS again? Thanks

Model: RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only, RND2000v2 (ReadyNAS Duo v2)|READYNAS DUO v2 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Cannot access ReadyNAS Duo from Mac OS Catalina

@Retired_Member wrote:

I am using RAIDator v. 5.3.13 since the older versions are not supported in MAC OS Catalina, apparently this RAIDator version is not compatible with my ReadyNAS Duo

This makes no sense.  If your Duo isn't capable of running 5.3.13, then you can't be using it.

The original Duo (called "v1" here) runs 4.1.x firmware - the most recent version being 4.1.16.  The v2 runs 5.3.13.  They are very different platforms.

More relevant here - both models only support SMB v1.  So as far as SMB access goes, either both models can be made to work, or neither model can be made to work.  That is an issue with Catalina (which dropped support for SMB v1), and also Windows 10 (which still allows it, but turns it off by default).  Getting a new NAS will be needed at some point (and you might have reached that point now).

In the meantime, you can try AFP.  But if you didn't have that enabled before, you will need to connect to the NAS admin ui with your browser and make sure it is enabled. 

There are three steps needed here, and you should do them in order:

1. get basic connectivity to the NAS
  2. connect to the NAS web ui with your browser
  3. see if you can get finder to work (or perhaps something like Filezilla).

@Retired_Member wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I tried again connecting the NAS directly to my MAC but this time I assigned a static IP address as you suggested but still go the same error message.

To clarify the settings:

The Mac would be set up to use 192.168.168.100 as it's IP address.  The subnet mask would be 255.255.255.0, and the router/gateway would be 192.168.168.168.  Check the connectivity with ping before you go any further.  That completes step 1.

Then access the NAS with your browser using http://192.168.168.168/admin - not the host name (which likely won't be resolved).  You will get a security warning, and you will need to click past that.  That completes step 2.

For step 3,  see if AFP is enabled for your shares.  Also, if you can't get finder to work, you can enable FTP access in the NAS, and use FileZilla (or some other FTP client that supports the Mac).  That would allow you to at least get the data off.  Though FileZilla isn't as convenient as using finder, you might be able to live with it longer term - it depends on how you use the NAS.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

If tried both assigning a static IP Address to the NAS and getting one assigned automatically to it but no luck. NETGEAR Raidar says however that the router has the IP address 192.168.168.168, no matter which IP Adress I assign to the NAS or which IP address gets assigned automatically to the IP Address.

192.168.168.168 is the fail-over address the NAS uses when DHCP fails for some reason.  FWIW, You aren't actually assigning a "static IP address" - you are reserving an IP address in the router (which is still using DHCP).  That is the right way to do it, but it is frustrasting when it fails for some reason.

One simple option is to change the router settings so it uses 192.168.168.x IP addresses.  Then if the failover address is used you will still be able to reach the NAS.  

You can also bypass the router and do a direct connect from a PC (Windows or MAC) to the NAS - connecting ethernet directly between the devices.  The assign a static IP address of 192.168.168.100 to the PC, using the PC network settings.  

Message 2 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. I tried again connecting the NAS directly to my MAC but this time I assigned a static IP address as you suggested but still go the same error message. The Netgear RAIDiator could find my NAS but I couldn't access it, got the same message to check my network settings. I am using RAIDator v. 5.3.13 since the older versions are not supported in MAC OS Catalina, apparently this RAIDator version is not compatible with my ReadyNAS Duo and older versions are not compatible with my current OS. I took out of my closet a really old Mac Book with Mavericks and I tried the same thing and it worked finally when I assigned a static IP address. I still get the fallback IP address 198.168.168.168 but at least I was able to access my files.

I am glad my files are not lost and I am doing a backup in case I am not able to access my ReadyNAS Duo in the future but it is a shame I am not able to use it as intended, through my local network. I will do some more testing just to be sure is not my router that is causing the problem but it would be nice to get it running again as it worke before.

Thanks a lot for your help again

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

I am using RAIDator v. 5.3.13 since the older versions are not supported in MAC OS Catalina, apparently this RAIDator version is not compatible with my ReadyNAS Duo

This makes no sense.  If your Duo isn't capable of running 5.3.13, then you can't be using it.

The original Duo (called "v1" here) runs 4.1.x firmware - the most recent version being 4.1.16.  The v2 runs 5.3.13.  They are very different platforms.

More relevant here - both models only support SMB v1.  So as far as SMB access goes, either both models can be made to work, or neither model can be made to work.  That is an issue with Catalina (which dropped support for SMB v1), and also Windows 10 (which still allows it, but turns it off by default).  Getting a new NAS will be needed at some point (and you might have reached that point now).

In the meantime, you can try AFP.  But if you didn't have that enabled before, you will need to connect to the NAS admin ui with your browser and make sure it is enabled. 

There are three steps needed here, and you should do them in order:

1. get basic connectivity to the NAS
  2. connect to the NAS web ui with your browser
  3. see if you can get finder to work (or perhaps something like Filezilla).

@Retired_Member wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I tried again connecting the NAS directly to my MAC but this time I assigned a static IP address as you suggested but still go the same error message.

To clarify the settings:

The Mac would be set up to use 192.168.168.100 as it's IP address.  The subnet mask would be 255.255.255.0, and the router/gateway would be 192.168.168.168.  Check the connectivity with ping before you go any further.  That completes step 1.

Then access the NAS with your browser using http://192.168.168.168/admin - not the host name (which likely won't be resolved).  You will get a security warning, and you will need to click past that.  That completes step 2.

For step 3,  see if AFP is enabled for your shares.  Also, if you can't get finder to work, you can enable FTP access in the NAS, and use FileZilla (or some other FTP client that supports the Mac).  That would allow you to at least get the data off.  Though FileZilla isn't as convenient as using finder, you might be able to live with it longer term - it depends on how you use the NAS.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements