× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Command line help

Digital999
Luminary

Command line help

This is an unusual request for assistance. 

We have IDrive backup application installed on the ReadyNAS systems.  As a Backup App it seems full featured and aside from some GUI confusion works well at very reasonable cost.

We had significant problems with the APP initially – it displayed directories that were non-existent according to the NETGEAR GUI display of shares/directories.

The IDrive developers scratched their head and eventually found six of these

‘non-existent’ (according to the NETGEAR listing) directories.  I have deleted them with SSH access and the IDrive app does not seem them. 

There is one directory that still shows up – “ZZZZ”.  Obviously this was setup during testing, possibly years ago. 

We are barely literate with LINUX commands.  I would appreciate it if a kind individual could provide  “ls” command or equivalent that would locate the errant “ZZZZ” directory.  I will in turn delete it after some investigation. 

Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Digital999 wrote:

We are barely literate with LINUX commands.  I would appreciate it if a kind individual could provide  “ls” command or equivalent that would locate the errant “ZZZZ” directory.  I will in turn delete it after some investigation. 

find /data -type d -name "ZZZZ" -print

will find all the ZZZZ directories in the data volume (and output the full path to the folder).

Note that data in the above command needs to match the actual volume name you are searching in.  (With X-RAID, the volume name is always data).

Message 2 of 5
Digital999
Luminary

Thanks -- found it.

It was in the /media directory and apparently related to an old Seagate drive I had been testing with years ago that was removed and replaced with operational drives. 

I appreciate you kind help.

Message 3 of 5
Digital999
Luminary

Further investigation indicates that this entry was related to external media device connected via USB.  My guess is that the USB external storage info obtained when the device is plugged in for the first time is stored someplace and since the drive may not ever be plugged into the NAS again it is not purged.

The area of SATA and USB external connections seems a mystery.  External devices are 'recognized' once they are plugged in so obviously there must be some information about these devices saved someplace.  It would be nice of NETGEAR had a way to purge that information or at least document where that information is saved. 

Thanks again StephenB for leading me to the solution. 

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Digital999 wrote:

Further investigation indicates that this entry was related to external media device connected via USB.  

The system reates an empty folder in /media to serve as a mount point for the USB drive.

There are some rare situations where data can end up in that mount point - for instance it can happen if a USB drive is removed during a backup job.

@Digital999 wrote:

It would be nice of NETGEAR had a way to purge that information or at least document where that information is saved. 

It would be nice if there were a way to delete the mount points from the GUI (and remove whatever other info might be in the database at the same time). 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements