× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Uninstall PHP add-on after trying 'Contacts & Calendars'

arnomc
Aspirant

Contacts&Calendars for RN6: Baikal & iOS no cardDAV sync !!

Has anyone tried this add-on based on Baïkal ?
I installed it and then configured it with success on OS X (Mavericks) for both CalDAV and CardDAV (http without SSL). I also figured it out on iPhone for Calendar ; but it's not working for Contacts (no cardDAV sync) : Sometime a settings is refused by the iphone or if accepted it wasn't really synchronizing at all.
Did anyone know a bit more to help me for troubleshooting this Netgear add-on ? (they used the "flat" package of Baikal and the port 7500).

For now my calendar is going on the web without encryption 😕 so I would also like to use SSL for both. Maybe this would require to modify the default config of net gear's add-on.

Thanks for your help

EDIT : this post was simplified to reflects my current problem. To answer, you can jump directly there : viewtopic.php?f=153&t=73636&p=412708#p412708
Message 1 of 16
arnomc
Aspirant

I opened SSH prior to install the PHP add-on (made by Poussin) from the list of available applications.
The readyNAS didn't reboot (even if it said to wait for reboot, don't know if it's relevant..). Now I can't access to the admin page but I still can log in SSH as root to the NAS (I tried cat /proc/... commands that didn't worked).
How to manage/admin the readyNAS without the 'front view' GUI ?
Not having GUI is a problem for me as I am not aware of command line. So how can I SAFELY uninstall the PHP add-on ?

Really need your help, here 😉
Message 2 of 16
super_poussin
Virtuoso

baikal include php : Depends: readynasos (>= 6.0.5~T1271), php5 (>= 5.3.0), mysql-server (>= 5.1), php5-mysql
Message 3 of 16
super_poussin
Virtuoso

what's happen if you reboot the nas ?

too remove a package :
apt-get remove --purge package

replace package with the name of the package you want to remove

ex for my php addon :

apt-get remove --purge phpr6
Message 4 of 16
arnomc
Aspirant

Thanks for your answers super-poussin (fast as usual). So when I tried baikal on my RN 6.1.4, the sync didn't worked for another reason (I will investigate further).
The front button to reboot or shutdown didn't worked so I SSH "rn_shutdown", wait a bit then the NAS yelled me to "Use 'reboot' command to reboot"
But it didn't shudown at all. I tried "reboot" and it absolutely nothing. So I pressed more than 4 sec on the power button on the front of my Ultra2, and it did shut it down instantly like a PC.
Now after a "cold boot" I have again access to the webadmin 😄 The readynas was just stuck for no reason in the end of the shutdown.
Thanks Poussin.
Does "istat" needs PHP to work ? While I have it I could try this add-on 🙂
And I'll try again Baikal : I really need a solution for Mavericks which doesn't include anymore any sync services for local backup of iOS devices.
Message 5 of 16
super_poussin
Virtuoso

Istat does not require php
Message 6 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

To reboot you could do

# rn_shutdown -r

To safely shutdown the NAS using the power button you need to press it briefly twice.

Pressing and holding the power button for ~ 5 seconds would forcibly shutdown the NAS.

It is possible to restart the Dashboard without needing to reboot. See this thread: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=71773&p=398678#p398678
Message 7 of 16
arnomc
Aspirant

thanks for your advice I will remember that next time for sure :thumbsup:
The first problem is solved, now I have to figure out why calDAV wasn't working from the beginning.
Message 8 of 16
arnomc
Aspirant

Re: 'Contacts & Calendars' for OS 6 (and a shutdown freeze)

OK I tried a 2nd time this add-on made by Netgear based on Baïkal.
http://baikal-server.com
https://github.com/jeromeschneider/Baikal
And.. It's working perfectly !! Now I can sync my phone and laptop for {calendar & reminders} even from outside my LAN (with redirect port 7500) 😄
For anyone boing disappointed by the lack of syncservices in Mavericks : this is THE way to go : easy to configure, working and for free. Ok this solution may appear a bit too professional for only one user but don't worry the add-on is very simple to use!!
Day after day I am more and more happy as I see more and more add ons for OS 6.
Message 9 of 16
arnomc
Aspirant

Re: 'Contacts & Calendars' add-on OS6: Baikal's cardDAV prob

Ok it was quite easy to configure OSX and iOS for CalDAV but for cardDAV I can't find a way to configure m iPhone :'(
I know for sure that Calendar of Mavericks's calendar is well configured (despite the control panel constantly bugging me for password) because I can create new contacts and I see in the webadmin of Baikal, that the number of contacts is increasing.
But for iOS, apparently the iPhone liked my settings and validate my account, but I can't create a new contact that could be seen in the count on Baikal's webadmin.
Does anyone ever tried this add-on ? Any advice ?
Message 10 of 16
arnomc
Aspirant

Re: 'Contacts & Calendars' add-on OS6: Baikal's cardDAV prob

seems like iO7 causes small problems for Baikal : https://github.com/jeromeschneider/Baikal/issues/119

I hope someone could update this add-on published by netgear. With the growing iphone user deceived by Apple lack of sun in mavericks, a working baikal could help customers to consider buying a readyNAS instead of other brands 🙂
Message 11 of 16
arnomc
Aspirant

Re: Contacts&Calendars for RN6: Baikal & iOS no cardDAV sync

Did anyone tried Netgear's baikal for RN6 ?
Message 12 of 16
sjuul
Aspirant

I have solved the carddav problem on IOS7.

The problem is caused by IOS7 messing up the account-url and putting the same thing in there twice.

This is how to set up a contacts account to a baikal server (all on the IOS7 device - baikal is just fine)

1. go to the settings-app. select E-mail, contactcs, calendars', and set up a new CardDAV account.
2. in the 'Server' field, add the complete path to your contacts. Something like: my.domain.com/baikal-flat/card.php/principals/mycalendar
3. in the 'user name' field, repeat the name of your calendar (mycalendar in this example)
4. in the 'password' field... well, the password.
5. tap 'next'
6. You end up back in the list of accounts. Select the account that you just created. Select 'advanced'.

7. Now comes the weird bit. In the 'Account-url' field, everything you entered in step 2, earlier on has been repeated. Something like this:
my.domain.com/baikal-flat/card.php/principals/mycalendar/my.domain.com/baikal-flat/card.php/principals/mycalendar
Just edit the field to correct this.
8. When you're done, IOS7 will complain that it can't establish an SSL connection, and it will ask if it should try to create a non-ssl connection. Decline.
9. Now, IOS7 will warn that it might just have created a non-working account. But it hasn't. At this point, it should all work just fine.

Just remember, the only problem is that IOS7 messes up the 'account-url' field. Just correct it and you're good.
Message 13 of 16
arnomc
Aspirant

How can I didn't notice your answer before! Thanks for the advice sjuul 🙂
When I tried this add-on on november, I had a look on the address but it's been few month so I don'tremeber if it was doing the 'double address' you told me. I tried again today and I noticed what you explained me : this is definitively a potential source of failure. Still, taking care of it didn't sync my iOS to Baikal 😞 (Baikal syncs correctly with OS X).
But the example address you wrote contains difference compare to the one given by Baïkal add-on made by NETGEAR :
"Server: ipaddress:7500/card.php(note: no http:// nor https://, and no trailing slash) "
- you didn't specify the port ? and you insert a "baikal-flat" ?
- so I am wondering if you installed this addon yourself via a command line or did you install netgear's package from OS6 interface ? (maybe it's a stupid question, but I tried so many solutions without success... it's getting me crazy :x )

Thanks for your help.

Note : I also heard about the SSL 'false' warning that we should rejected so it should sync with SSL, isn't it? I am asking because when I'll have a working card sync I would like to sync with SSL to replace my local ip by my domain name (to be able to sync from outside my homeLAN).
Message 14 of 16
arnomc
Aspirant

I finally obtain half a success on my quest :D. I configured an account without SSL, edit the adress like sjuul said, and iOS gave me the warning that it will probably not work ; but in fact the sync is effective !
Then I decided to try for SSL.
1) I edited the working account to activate SSL using the port 7500 :port used by the add-on (see the add-on help). but it didn't worked.
2) then a recreate the account from the beginning but this time without accepting to switch to non-SSL connection when the iphone warned me. It neither worked :(.

I really would like to be able to use SSL, that would allow me to replace in the setting my local LAN IP address with my full address and avoid sending request to the 192.168... each time I connect my iOS through 3G or a hotspot 😕
Otherwise could I install a VPN server on my NAS ? then connect my iphone to my vpn and then use my local LAN IP address in Baïkal settings like it is currently ?

Thanks for you help, I finally could go a little forward.
Message 15 of 16
arnomc
Aspirant

There's rumors about local iOS sync to come back with iTunes 11.1.6 and Mavericks 10.9.3
Anyway, I'll keep this add-on for CalDAV/cardDAV active for a backup purpose.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements