× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Currupted copy of picture backuppped with ReadyCLOUD app on Android

rfbeiboer
Aspirant

Currupted copy of picture backuppped with ReadyCLOUD app on Android

I installed the ReadyCLOUD app on my Android phone and enabled backing up of my Camera folder. After a while, it backed up all files (I think, did not check it yet), but alsp found something strange.

Two pictures were created twice. For each a file with the original file name, and one with an additional '(1)' at the end of the name. It appeared that the ones with original name were corrupted. That means, a great prortion of the image is missing! When opened in Windows 10 Photo viewer, only the first 20 - 40 % of the scanlines of the photo's are visible, the rest is missing. The files with the added (1) in the name, are correct though.

How is this possible, and why did this happen? This is the first time I let my phone backup all photo's but it does not give me a great feeling about this. I backed up 599 items, so now I need to check all those items.

Has anybody seen this before? Is there something wrong with the app? Or with the NAS? How can be sure this will never happen again?

Edit: My app says "Application version 2.0.4"

Ramon

Model: RN426|ReadyNAS 426 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 6-Bays
Message 1 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Currupted copy of picture backuppped with ReadyCLOUD app on Android

@rfbeiboer

Welcome to the Community!

Are you connected locally or remotely? If it's connected remotely, have you had any disconnection while on transfer? Are all of your photos have copies of the same file? How about the other copy was it complete?

It is also possible that there are corrupted files already on your phone that was backed up/synced by ReadyCloud that is why you are seeing those. Are your photos saved to a MicroSD card or Phone storage? 

Have you tried taking a new photo and see if it will do the same? Rarely the issue would be on the camera sensor but hopefully it's not.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 5
rfbeiboer
Aspirant

Hi,

What do you mean exactly with connected remotely or locally? I was using the ReadyCloud app on my Android phone while it was on WiFi on the same network as the NAS is.

I compared the Camera folder on the phone with the folder on the NAS with Beyond Compare 4 and did a binary comparison on the files. I attached a screenshot of the differences found by the application. The left pane is the contents of the phone, the right pane the contents of the NAS. In total 4 files are affected. In one occasion only the file with the addtional (1) in the name is present, not the original file. (Also, one file is still on the camera but was not yet backed up. I created that photo just before doing the comparison.)

I do not know if I had connection issues. I was under the impression the app would also backup when the phone goes to the lock screen. Is that a correct assumption? Or does it only backup when you actually open the app?

Ramon 

Message 3 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@rfbeiboer

Do all files show on the NAS Share? I'm not sure why there are corrupted copies and by looking at it, the dates on the corrupted files are latest than with the (1)s. Are  your files saved on Micro SD from your phone? or is it using Internal storage?

If there are disconnection issues, ReadyCloud usually just paused syncing and then continue once connection has re-established, not sure though if it Timed out rendering the file incomplete but it has not happened to me yet, getting a corrupt file uploaded or created.

You are correct with Android, it can backup on the background.

Regards

Message 4 of 5
rfbeiboer
Aspirant

Hi,

All files do show on the NAS share.

The comparrison I did, only shows the differences (I hid all files that are binary equal in the overview, because it were more than 600).

The files on the phone are on the internal storage, not an SD card. All files in the phone are just fine.

I did a new comparisson today (I took about 30 photos since the last comparisson), and noticed none of the new files were synchronized to the nas. It looks like the synchronization process did not take place during that period. Perphaps I need to change a config setting in my phone to allow it to run in the background? I realy would like to have the ReadyCloud app backup new photos and videos without opening the ReadyCloud app. I will post update whenI found something that enabled it.

It looks like the (1) files are created when synchronization a file failed (got interrupted), but when it tried to continue it did not have access. In that case it just created a new file with the (1) suffix in the file name. Somewhere last week the Android app of ReadyCloud was updated, perhaps this issue has also been addressed? I did not find it in the update description though.

Ramon

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements