× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Delete Time Machine Sparsebundles

Phv211
Aspirant

Delete Time Machine Sparsebundles

Hi

To help those who have not solved the Sparsebundles removal problem

Enable Timemachine AFP on the NAS
Put the same password as the admin of the NAS
Launch Terminal on Mac
ssh NASIP (for example: ssh 192.168.1.117)
enter the password of NAS
go to ReadyNAS folder
type: cd /data/.timemachine/ReadyNAS
type the command: su
enter the password of the NAS
type: rm -rf NameOfTheSparsebundles

the other methods did not work.

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Phv211 wrote:

type the command: su
enter the password of the NAS

Normally you should log in as root when you access the NAS with ssh.  If you do that then su isn't needed.

Message 2 of 5
Phv211
Aspirant

Hi

Thanks for reply
Normally ... but nothing worked and the ssh login refused root and took the admin from the mac. With "su" it ended up happening.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Phv211 wrote:

the ssh login refused root and took the admin from the mac. 

Sometimes the admin and root password end up out-of-sync.  Try changing the admin password (then change it back if you like).

Message 4 of 5
TheMissSunshine
Aspirant

MacBook Pro A1706

macOS Mojave

I finally deleted my old macbook's (that I no longer own) sparsebundle on my Airport Time Capusle without using the Terminal! I spent a few hours following many Terminal prompts and coding for deleting the sparsebundle on my Air Port Timecapsule. Nothing worked. When I tried to just delete the sparsebundle by moving it to the trash, it said that "bands" is in use. I tried opening the folder bands, and it stayed blank and didn't load any content - waited for over an hour. I renamed .sparsebundle to ".s" and bands to "b" still nothing. Finally, this is the combination that worked for me... I'm writing it out in the hope that it helps someone else:

I happened to be in safe mode from a previous failed solution - not sure if that helped this process or not?

1. Open Finder

2. Click on your Airport Time Capusle in left bar (probably named something else)

3. Connect to it by entering the admin password for your Airport

4. Click on "Data"

5. Right click on the sparsebundle you want to delete and select "Show Package Contents"

6. Right click on the folder "bands" and select "Compress bands"

7. For some reason, doing this caused the contents of the bands folder to immediately load!!!

8. Select all the files in the bands folder and move them to the trash

9. Cancel the compress process, and move the rest of the contents (including the compressed zip file) of the the sparsebundle to the trash.

10. Then move the sparsebundle to the trash!!! It worked!!! Miracle!!!

11. Empty the Trash - this is taking a long time, so I'm going to try force emptying the trash!!

Good luck and I hope this helps you... not sure why compressing the file loaded the contents, but happy it did!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements