× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Docker CLI Addon for ReadyNAS 6.9.3 - Installation Failure

fhqwhgads
Aspirant

Docker CLI Addon for ReadyNAS 6.9.3 - Installation Failure

Hi guys, completely new here. I've just purchased a Netgear ReadyNAS 214 and just setting it up now.  I'd like to install Docker on it and from what I've learned so far, @Mhynlo has put in a bit of work on getting this to work.  I've tried downloading the latest stable and pre-release versions from here:

https://github.com/Mhynlo/readynas-docker-cli

Unfortunately, I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to install.  I keep getting an "Cannot install application docker-cli-rnapp" error message.  Help?

My goal is to have my ReadyNAS spin up icloud_photos_downloader (https://github.com/ndbroadbent/icloud_photos_downloader) pull files from iCloud on a scheduled basis to backup to storage on the NAS.  It's a different approach than ReadyCLOUD and it gives me more control over how files are backed up:

• An app also doesn't have to be installed (and managed by the end user)
  • Backups are initiated from server-side and not client-side on the device
  • Backups are not managed on the device, which can be confusing for a non-technical end user
  • Delete older content from iCloud if it is already backed up to NAS; This maximizes the use of cloud storage space

Any help greatly appreciated! 

Message 1 of 10
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Docker CLI Addon for ReadyNAS 6.9.3 - Installation Failure

I suspect there might have been another app that you encountered some issues.

There are two things we could do: 1) you can provide remote access with the Secure Diagnostics Mode and PM me the 5 digit code 2) if you didn't want to provide remote access, you can provide the logs to the moderator email and we can see what is causing the issue.

Details for both remote access and logs are in my signature.

Message 2 of 10
fhqwhgads
Aspirant

Thanks! I'll reach out to you later this evening.  It's puzzling - This NAS unit is pretty much vanilla (only applied an OS update) and I haven't tried to install anything else besides Docker.

Message 3 of 10
fhqwhgads
Aspirant

Looks like I overlooked the fact that readynas-docker-cli is x86 only.  I have a RN214 which is ARM-based ...

Message 4 of 10
MrGamerChoi
Tutor

Has anyone successfully installed docker on their arm based device ? I'm aiming to install rtorrent on my device via docker since rtorrent broke my admin web page once so I wanna do it in a docker container to be safe.

Currently I'm having a Readynas 102 (6.9.4) which has an Armv7l cpu running armhf (?). I tried installing docker on my system through ssh but didnt succeed. It said I might held broken packages or something... I think it's because it has conflict with default system packages which pulled from netgear's source.

Here is my step which I followed:

1) Go check https://get.docker.com/ (It shows docker supports armv7l-debian-jessie)

SUPPORT_MAP="
armv7l-debian-jessie
"

2) Then I followed the official guide on docker's website: https://docs.docker.com/install/linux/docker-ce/debian/

3) When I performed 

apt-get install docker-ce

It said 

Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages

Message 5 of 10
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

The RN100 series (and RN2120 series both)  are armel arch based platforms. They do not support the hardfloats that would add the armhf arch support.

We are working with some devs with existing armhf builds to have better support in the ReadyNAS for the RN200 (and RN210) series in some of the coming firmware release. Seeing that Docker has armhf support, we should expect an option for the RN200 series as a ReadyNAS package.

Message 6 of 10
MrGamerChoi
Tutor

Thank you for answering,

Let's fingercross netgear team will be able to include this in near future. I'm sure many users here are waiting this feature to come to arm based devices. cheers and keep up the good work.

Message 7 of 10
fhqwhgads
Aspirant

Can't wait until this is available.  Still interested.

Message 8 of 10
robgardien
Aspirant

I'm also using a Readynas 102, any progress on the issue with the held broken packages installing docker?

Message 9 of 10
bbiggs
Initiate

Anyone have an update on this? Interested in getting Docker running on a ReadyNAS 214.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements