× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

External storage device is connected but the file system is not recognized.

MatthiasG
Aspirant

External storage device is connected but the file system is not recognized.

Hi you All,

I have a NAS 424 with version 6.10.2 and now I'm getting: System: External storage device is connected but the file system is not recognized.

This error occurs after a external HDD is pluged in.

I can see it in the log file, but I do not see it on the admin system page and therefor I can't format it the right way. I attached a brand new LaCie 6TB USB3 HDD.

Its quite funny, because I did a Backup to the same type of HDD a few month ago and I was able to see the HDD on the admin system page.

Any Ideas?

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: External storage device is connected but the file system is not recognized.

@MatthiasG wrote:

Hi you All,

I have a NAS 424 with version 6.10.2 and now I'm getting: System: External storage device is connected but the file system is not recognized.

How is the disk formatted?  Your NAS supports BTRFS, EXT2/3, FAT32 and NTFS.  It doesn't support exFAT. 

I don't recommend use of FAT32, as it can't handle large files.  NTFS is the best option if you want to also access the files on a PC (though you would need to purchase some software to get write access to NTFS on a Mac).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: External storage device is connected but the file system is not recognized.

@MatthiasG wrote:

Hi you All,

How is the disk formatted?  Your NAS supports BTRFS, EXT2/3, FAT32 and NTFS.  It doesn't support exFAT. 

I don't recommend use of FAT32, as it can't handle large files.  NTFS is the best option if you want to also access the files on a PC (though you would need to purchase some software to get write access to NTFS on a Mac).

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements