× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FTP Server Capability Configuratioon

Digital999
Luminary

FTP Server Capability Configuratioon

There is a KB article on how to configure the ReadyNAS FTP Server capability.

In the article it discusses the Authenticiation Mode -- Either User of Annoynmous.

Tyhpically for a User mode (non-Annoynmous mode) there would be an associated password for validation.  I do not see anywhere to set this password for validation during the longon process.

Certainly I must be missing something here --

Any help or pointers would be appreciated. 

Model: RNDP4430D|ReadyNAS® Pro 4 12TB Unified Storage System|EOL
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

@Digital999 wrote:

Was you response that the username/paswsword combination is a function of the accounts configured on the ReadyNAS?

Yes, exactly!

Yes.  You set up a user account/password (using the accounts page), and then use that with FTP.

If you are planning to use this over the internet, you should set up the NAS to require FTPS  Then you use a client like FileZilla or WinSCP, and set it up to use explicit FTP over TLS.  Ordinary FTP isn't secure, because the username and password are sent as clear text (unencrypted).

Personally I use FileZilla - one reason is that you don't need to set up masquerading.  So you can also use it to access the NAS both locally and remotely.  (One problem with masquerading is that it often ends up not working locally).

@schumaku: Yes, it's really FTPES, but the ReadyNAS doesn't call it that. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Not much experience on the legacy (pre-OS6) ReadyNAS - one would assume that username and password are managed in the user management as used for any other authenticated access like SAMBA/SMB ...

Message 2 of 7
Digital999
Luminary

I must have selected the wrong dropdown list

The device is an OS6 ReadyNASdevice -- a ReadyNAS 314 device.

Was you response that the username/paswsword combination is a function of the accounts configured on the ReadyNAS?

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@Digital999 wrote:

The device is an OS6 ReadyNASdevice -- a ReadyNAS 314 device.

No problem!

@Digital999 wrote:

Yes, exactly!

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

@Digital999 wrote:

Yes, exactly!

Yes.  You set up a user account/password (using the accounts page), and then use that with FTP.

If you are planning to use this over the internet, you should set up the NAS to require FTPS  Then you use a client like FileZilla or WinSCP, and set it up to use explicit FTP over TLS.  Ordinary FTP isn't secure, because the username and password are sent as clear text (unencrypted).

Personally I use FileZilla - one reason is that you don't need to set up masquerading.  So you can also use it to access the NAS both locally and remotely.  (One problem with masquerading is that it often ends up not working locally).

@schumaku: Yes, it's really FTPES, but the ReadyNAS doesn't call it that. 

Message 5 of 7
Digital999
Luminary

Thanks for taking the time to respopnd -- much appreciated.

Thanks also for the hints on setting up an FTP access that will be useful.

The ReadyNAS documentation was a little subtle on the username/password for the FTP setup.  Probably could sue an explicit update. 

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Digital999 wrote:

The ReadyNAS documentation was a little subtle on the username/password for the FTP setup.  Probably could use an explicit update. 

Another thing that is missing - the default passive port range is very large.  If you are forwarding ports in your router, you should narrow it.

Normally I suggest 4 passive ports per simultaneous user.  Also the best practice is to use passive ports in the private/dynamic port range - which is 49152-65535.

I also suggest using a non-standard port for the control connection (and setting that up in the FTP client).  So if you had 10 simultaneous users, you could for example use port 50000 for the FTP control connection and 50001-50040 as passive ports.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements