× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Finding Readynas file structure

Newsat11
Luminary

Finding Readynas file structure

I am using SSH to move a file to a directory where I can edit it and then move out back. Everytime I us the ls. command in the root directory nothing is returned, therefore I can't see the potential directory to move it to. Can anyone help me with the file structure on a Readynas OS6 unit?
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

try entering

cd //

after you log in.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

try entering

cd //

after you log in.

Message 2 of 5
Newsat11
Luminary

Thanks again. One last question that my SSH training didn't cover. Do I want to move the file to an accessible share then move it back after it has been edited, or do I want to copy it then copy it back? If I use the copy function with the file automatically overwrite the previous version or is there something I need to be aware of?

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Start by making a local copy (same folder), just in case.

for instance

cp filename filename.orig

Then copy the file to the share, edit it, and then copy it back.  Check the owner/group and permissions (ls -al) after you copy back.  You can change the owner/group with chown and chgrp.  chmod will let you change permissions.  You can find linux man pages for all of those commands pretty easily.

With Windows, you need to be careful to use notepad++ and preserve linux text format conventions.  That's not an issue on the Mac.

Message 4 of 5
Newsat11
Luminary

We're good, I am all done will all of this. Learning the Command Line turned out to be easy. I was dreading it but I am on do other things. I will starting new thread, so I will talk to you soon. I will always keep pushing...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements