× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FreeRadius Readynas os6 addon Not saving any changes

assassin2k5
Aspirant

FreeRadius Readynas os6 addon Not saving any changes

had my readynas 312 for about 4-6 months now
during that time I had the freeradius server installed. I was able to add user and client details via the web UI.
at the time I had no use for this addon so removed it.

As of today I wanted to use this addon and installed it again. The installation went fine, no errors no complaints of any kind.
for some reason I am unable to make any changes via the web UI, I'm also unable to add users, clients or change service port.
On the main page of free radius UI I get a message that states "RADIUS SERVER APP IS TURNED OFF click here to turn on.
I also get a similar message on the user and client screens altho it has hyperlink to turn on in blue.
clicking this link brings you to main page of free radius. basically nothings actually happening regardless of how long you wait for a response.

link for those who need to see the screens im refering to https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9ut6b2qdhr5rrov/AABoMOn-xHAn_1nzi0eFfipWa

in app section of my 312 it seems not to allow the use of the toggle on off switch to enable or disable the addon, guess maybe that's not a
major issue.

anyone have any experience with this app to help me find what's wrong with it

I have limited knowledge of using ssh, am far from scared to type some commands if it helps give more info into my issue. all be that you may have to tell me what to type, but hey its all part of the learning and resolving.

many thanks in advance.

I have now seen in the terminal the following error when I issue systemctl status httpd.service command.

root@Distributer:/etc# systemctl status httpd.service
httpd.service
Loaded: error (Reason: No such file or directory)
Active: inactive (dead)

could this be related to my problem ?

if so any ideas how to resolve, what to look for ?

again any help appreciated
Message 1 of 14
JabbaTheHutt
Tutor

I'll let the app author know of the issue. Application issues are the responsibility of the app author. If this is a general issue for everyone, we'll have the app removed from the app list until a update is available.
Message 2 of 14
assassin2k5
Aspirant

I did contact netgear regarding this. The tech I spoke to seemed clueless,
The call disconnected abruptly and I didn't get to calling back, waiting time was too ridiculous.

Many thanks for your respone on this matter.
Message 3 of 14
JabbaTheHutt
Tutor

This is not a NETGEAR built add-on app, so it will be up to the app author/packager to correct.
Message 4 of 14
assassin2k5
Aspirant

Dont know what had me thinking it was a netgear app

thanks
Message 5 of 14
PeterKocic
Aspirant

JabbaTheHutt wrote:
I'll let the app author know of the issue. Application issues are the responsibility of the app author. If this is a general issue for everyone, we'll have the app removed from the app list until a update is available.

I can verify that I have a similar problem on my ReadyNAS 516 (6.2), I'm not very good at the SSH part but what does happen is:

1. Had Radius installed few months ago, played around - removed it. All by Frontview.

2. Wanted to install it again now, it does install from the market place. I can start and run the app but I can't start the radius server service. When looking at the log in the app it says "Virtual Server failed to load".

Can't explain but that there has to be some residue from the old installation. Ideas how to fix this would be appreciated.

edit: can actually confirm the residue, still 2 accounts in the users list I made last time I had it installed.
Message 6 of 14
PeterKocic
Aspirant

Thu Dec 18 04:52:24 2014 		Error	/etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/default[252]
Thu Dec 18 04:52:24 2014 Error /etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/default[310]
Thu Dec 18 04:52:24 2014 Error /etc/freeradius/eap.conf[17]
Thu Dec 18 04:52:24 2014 Error rlm_eap
Thu Dec 18 04:52:24 2014 Error rlm_eap_tls
Thu Dec 18 04:52:24 2014 Error rlm_eap

This is the copy of the log in the radius app, from the same second i installed it through Frontview.
Message 7 of 14
chirpa
Luminary

You'll have to try and contact the author somehow.

JabbaTheHutt is no longer with NETGEAR.
Message 8 of 14
PeterKocic
Aspirant

Hi Chirpa,

Thanks - I've not had any success googling after who to contact. But my thought was that deleting the Freeradius-catalogue under /dev could be a way to remove any old settings maybe? What do you think, would it be enough?

Through my Plex app's file browser I've seen that even though I've removed Radius Server there's a catalogue called /dev/freeradius
Message 9 of 14
john_es
Aspirant

It has nothing to do with previous installs... I just tried to install this plugin on my NAS and it won't work at all.. No way to save the port number or to start the service.
Message 10 of 14
Backdraft090782
Aspirant

same problem here.

Dont know "readynasguru" and i dont know how to contact him. So if Netgear doesnt know how to contact the author they should delete this package and stop making advertising on there site that there is a nas with radius server technology!
Message 11 of 14
Trytohelp11
Aspirant

Hi there,

Enable ssh, on the nas

In putty enter the ip address of the nas selecting ssh

cd / , cd apps , ls (to get the name of the app, in this case is radius-app), 

Duplicate your putty session.

apt-get purge radius-app, it will remove te app plus the configuration.

apt-get install radius-app

Check your web admin interface to see the app installed and click on launch. The "ON " should be green now.

Hope did help.

Regards

Trytohelp1

Message 12 of 14
petercoolllll
Aspirant

Hi ,

Where can find step by step setup guide for this Netgear free radius server ? Already try to setup , but fail . I want to use it for a wireless AP .

Message 13 of 14
Trytohelp11
Aspirant

Hi there,

Currently I have tested on a RN314 and it worked after I have flushed away everything and re-install it again. You might have to flush it. Also I have used Chrome web browser with a cleared cache/history. 

The configuration is straight. 

Add the user which he is the user logging in, with the password that will use to access the network.

Add the client whic is the IP address of the Access point. and the password that the Access Point will use to authenticate him self to the Radius

That it is as simple as it is. check the port that the radius will use, but usually the default if fine.

Good luck.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements