× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: General discussion on LMS for OS6

Mickatroid
Aspirant

The latest release is the one that is still under development. I tend to go with the previous version. At the time it was 7.8.1. The Netgear package was, at least in the past, not for Netgear's new OS6 - it was only for the older firmware on the older NASs (the Pro units). That said having read your post it seems that some people have had some success with it.

If I had to do it again though I would install the LMS app from Logitech (written by Super P here) and update it in the way I described above. It works well.
Message 26 of 44
Labdoc1
Luminary

I successfully installed LMS 1.06 (from Poussin's Dropbox) and latest nightly (logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1427377805_all.deb). The tip to install from a Readynas folder directly (instead of from a download on a computer in the network) was helpful. I am running OS6.3.3 (Beta 11) on a legacy Pro Pioneer having successfully done the upgrade.

The only gotcha is that the OS Admin Apps page shows "Logitech Media Server 1.06" Developer Poussin but LMS>Settings>Information shows:
Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.0 - 1427377805 @ Sun Mar 29 04:05:25 UTC 2015.

Thanks to Poussin and others here all the tips to getting this up and running.
Message 27 of 44
nsne
Virtuoso

So, I managed to get the UE Media Server running on my 314, then I decided I didn't like it and "downgraded" (read: "re-upgraded") everything to Squeezebox/LMS. UE (10+) was stagnant, whereas LMS (7.x) still feels active and fresh.

I installed the LMS 1.0.6 add-on from the "Available Apps" and the latest 7.9 nightly. It's working fine, although I am noticing some UI sluggishness from the ReadyNAS.

I noticed that S-P's Dropbox has lms_1.0.8_all.deb, which seems to be newer than the ReadyNAS add-on and also designed for 7.8+ of the LMS nightlies. Can I just manually install this over 1.0.6, or is there some sort of uninstall process or radical change I should be aware of?
Message 28 of 44
nsne
Virtuoso

Never mind. I answered my own question.

Here's a step-by-step for anyone who wants to install the latest and greatest LMS on their OS 6 ReadyNAS:

1. Install S-P's Logitech Media Server 1.0.6 add-on from the ReadyNAS add-on directory.
2. Install the LMS of your choice (e.g., 7.7, 7.8, 7.9) from the nightly pages by manually uploading the .deb file.
3. Install the lms_1.0.8_all.deb from S-P's Dropbox to bring the LMS app to the current version.

This is working brilliantly for me, even with multiple plugins enabled. LMS is speedy, and the lag is gone from the ReadyNAS admin GUI. Can't even fathom why I upgraded to UE.
Message 29 of 44
lpgravelle
Aspirant

Please help.

Everyone, I just picked up a readyNAS 314 (2x4TB), installed the lms app from the app page.  When I click on the icon, it redirects me to port 9000, but I get an error message "page not found".

RUnning 6.4.1 on the readyNAS

Windows 10

Edge browser.

I also restarted the NAS with no success.

Is there something i'm missing?

Message 30 of 44
lpgravelle
Aspirant

never mind. i just saw the previous post.  I'll try that.

Message 31 of 44
rjwerth1
Aspirant

This no longer seems to work with 6.4.1.  I get "Cannot install...." errors when I upload LMS.

UPDATE:  Well, it seems to be working now.  If you follow the instructions above, you will get "Cannot install" errors, but strangely enough, it seems to do it anyway.  I had to go through the process a couple of times, but at last, I have LMS 7.9 and ReadyNAS App 1.08.

Message 32 of 44
lpgravelle
Aspirant

I must be doing something wrong.

I install lms 1.0.6 from app page.

I try to install 7.8.0 - get error message can't install.

repeat a few times, no success.

I then try to upgrade to 1.0.8. still same error message. try a few times - no success.  All it manages to do is uninstall 1.0.6.

Did you hard/soft reset between installs? Any other hints?

Message 33 of 44
zebons
Aspirant

Hi,

I am using the app store add-on LMS version 7.7.2 on my readynas RN-104. It's working almost fine.

Can I upgrade to the newer version (7.8.x or 7.9) ? And how must I do ?

delete the actual version and install the new one ?

directly upgrade my running version and how to do it ?

Thanks

Message 34 of 44
rjwerth
Luminary

Hey everyone.  Has anyone managed to do this on 6.4.2?  When I upgraded, it borked LMS and now, I can't get the later versions working anymore.

Message 35 of 44
lpgravelle
Aspirant

Nope.  Nothing works for me.  I have to rely on the LMS running on my computer.

Message 36 of 44
rjwerth
Luminary

Well, I at least have the original 1.04 working after trying several other versions...so I at least got that far.

It sure would be nice if Netgear would spend a little time with all their add-ons as most are really long in the tooth.  Other NAS manufacturers seem to keep their apps much more up to date.

Message 37 of 44
forestpct
Guide

Hi.  Hope it's OK to ask query on this thread regarding replacement of an old ReadyNas Duo V1.  I've used this ReadyNas with the Logictech Media Server Add-on for several years to stream music from the NAS to a Logitech Duet and Logitech Radios as well as to a number of smart TVs.  The NAS however has failed and I need to replace it.  Posted on the Logitech Squeezebox forum about use of their add-on on newer ReadyNAS units (100 and 200 series) and was told the add-on only works on older Duo/NV v2 units but to check here for possible solutions.  I found an entry here http://apps.readynas.com/pages/?page_id=9 for a Logitech Media Server app but would like to know for certain that this will allow me to stream music direct from new ReadyNas to my Duet and Radios before I commit to purchase. Appreciate it if someone could confirm this.

Thanks

Model: ReadyNASRND2110|ReadyNAS Duo 1TB (1 X 1TB)
Message 38 of 44
rjwerth
Luminary

I'd be shocked if it didn't work.  I only use Squeeze radios and they work just fine using the standard LMS plugin for my Rn516.  If you are trying to decide between smaller ReadyNAS, I'd suggest the 21x series as they are powerful enough to even transcode via Plex.

Message 39 of 44
forestpct
Guide

OK have purchased a ReadyNas RN212D23 (2x3TB, Arm Quad processor) .  Having looked at the various postings for getting LMS installed I could do with some guidance for getting LMS up and running!  I remember the problems I had trying to get LMS installed on a ReadyNas Duo some years ago and would like to make the process a litlle less troublesome this time!)

The ReadyNas as delivered was at firmware 6.4.1 but updated to 6.4.2 during setup.

I've found the following sources of LMS code:

1. Under Available Apps in the Admin pages of the ReadyNas itself is Logitech Media Server V1.0.6 developed by Poussin
  2. At https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ie9pwk1wut72ias/AACr8V9vMB2dC5lbj03l5VyDa/Logitech%20Media%20server?dl=0 there appears to be a copy of the above file plus later releases (lms_1.0.7_all.deb, 1.08, 1.09) and Logitechmediaserver deb files (e.g. logitechmediaserver_7.7.2_all.deb, 7.7.3, 7.8.0) all supplied by Poussin
  3. At http://downloads.slimdevices.com/ there are various versions of the above logitechmediaserver including a v7.9.0 in the nightly folder

Can someone explain what the relationship is between the lms and logitechmediaserver files is (i.e. why are both needed), which versions I should use with firmware 6.4.2 and what sequence to install them in.

Many thanks

Model: RN212D23|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (2x 3TB Desktop)
Message 40 of 44
schalliol
Aspirant

I too am having trouble getting this to work on 6.4.2, and I really, really would like it to.   Thanks if you have any updates to share!

Message 41 of 44
forestpct
Guide

Hi

Have LMS working on my RN212.  The ReadyNas OS is at V6.5.0 (but see hear (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Windows-10-PCs-unable-to-access-Netgear-ReadyNa...) for problems I encountered with this release with Windows 10.

I'm still not sure about which of the various releases of LMS are the "correct" ones to use nor can I remember exactly how I got it to work (I just couldn't find one place where I could get a definitive explanation)  All I can tell you is the following about my setup. Under In the ReadyNas Admin Page I have  a Logitech Media Server App shown as Developed by Poussin at V1.0.6.  If I launch this and go to Settings/Information tab The LMS is shown as "Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.3 - 1375965195 @ Mon Aug 12 03:09:39 PDT 2013".  I can't be sure but I think I downloaded these either from https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ie9pwk1wut72ias/AACr8V9vMB2dC5lbj03l5VyDa/Logitech%20Media%20server?dl=0 or http://downloads.slimdevices.com/ (i.e. items 2. and 3. in my post of 2016-02-25).  Later versions appear to be available but as everything appears to be working I'm not chancing an update!!

Hope this helps.

Message 42 of 44
Supertramp11
Luminary

Hi,

I'm using OS 6.5.0 on a legacy PRO 6.

Yesterday, I tried to upgrade LMS from 7.8.0 to 7.9.0 using the logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1472633108_all.deb file which can be downloaded from Logitech's nightly builds.

When trying to upload the file, I get error message "Cannot install application D:\My Documents\Netgear\LMS\Logitech Media Server 7.9.0\Deb (for OS 6)\logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1472633108_all.deb". This also happened when afterwards I tried to upload lms_1.0.8_all.deb or lms_1.0.9_all.deb from superpousin.

Trying the above after having successfully uninstalled LMS 7.8.0 results in the same errors.

I now installed 7.9.0 from NAStools found in the available apps in OS 6 which worked fine. The only "issue" is that this is a serveral months old 7.9.0 version.

Does anyone have any idea why I cannot install Logitech's and Superpousin's .deb files?

Thanks for any help!

Message 43 of 44
Supertramp11
Luminary

I reposted this issue separately as it may not be correctly posted under General discussion on LMS for OS6.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Current-NETGEAR-and-Partners/Cannot-upload-apps-under-OS-6-5-0-on-P...

Message 44 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements