× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help install Kolab on Netgear ReadyNAS Pro (ultra 4)

Progressed
Aspirant

Help install Kolab on Netgear ReadyNAS Pro (ultra 4)

Hi I would like to have an Microsoft Exchange alternative on my Netgear. I was wondering if anyone knows kolab, and if so how to install it on my ReadyNAS. It seems Kolab is the ONLY alternative that is 100% free, and when its free... i love it 🙂

kolab: http://kolab.org/

Im kinda new on linux building packages, but i would like to make a package of this at the end with some help of the gurus here.

Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 17
WhoCares_
Mentor

Re: Help install Kolab on Netgear ReadyNAS Pro (ultra 4)

I had a look at Kolab some years ago and just had another look because of your post. As I could see the major problem with Kolab hasn't changed over the years: It is using a lot of heavyweight applications that are not that easy to setup and manage. Time permitting I'll try to have a closer look but don't get your hopes too high.

-Stefan
Message 2 of 17
Progressed
Aspirant

Well thank you for looking into it...

What I red on the internet installing is the bigest job... managing on the other hand is easy with the UI.
Message 3 of 17
WhoCares_
Mentor

The real problem there is that Kolab at least partially depends on software that is already present on the ReadyNAS and needs to be upgraded to support Kolab, Upgrading base software always poses the risk of breaking things so it's not just hard to do it but a real bitch 😉

-Stefan
Message 4 of 17
Progressed
Aspirant

im guessing that ***** is bad 🙂

But we could install vmware as base right? and use the second nic as link... I would be happy with a detailed installguide... not that jibberish that i found on the website! :rofl:
Message 5 of 17
WhoCares_
Mentor

Progressed wrote:
im guessing that ***** is bad 🙂

Guess so, since the asterisks are made by the forum software, not by me. I used a word that ends on 'itch' - maybe I should have used PITA 😛

Progressed wrote:
But we could install vmware as base right?

I don't see how adding another layer of complexity should make the task at hand easier ...

-Stefan
Message 6 of 17
Progressed
Aspirant

maybe the layer is complex but better if you need to do a factory reset... just backup the vm, and place it back after the VM addon is installed. My guess its better then reinstalling the whole Kolab stuff again.

PITA is ok 🙂
Message 7 of 17
WhoCares_
Mentor

Factory Reset? If I were crazy enough to develop ON my ReadyNAS (which I'm not) I'd try to make really, really sure this won't happen.

-Stefan
Message 8 of 17
Progressed
Aspirant

WhoCares? wrote:
Factory Reset? If I were crazy enough to develop ON my ReadyNAS (which I'm not) I'd try to make really, really sure this won't happen.

-Stefan

you never know... by browsing the topics here i've seen allot of solutions contain a factory reset... so its not that crazy for safety is it? :shock:

In fact... installing your php 5.3.6 that i bought i needed a factory reset after the install i couldnt get into mysql via phpmyadmin... now im running the free version 🙂
Message 9 of 17
WhoCares_
Mentor

You could have asked or just have edited the php.ini values for the MySQL socket 😉 This "fix" will be included in the next release of the PHP add-on. Although it's rather a fix for the stupidity of the PHP developers who choose to make a socket connection whenever the user specifies "localhost" as host name.

Anyway, a Factory Reset shouldn't have been necessary at all. And with roughly 8TB of data on my ReadyNAS I for sure wouldn't do it.

-Stefan
Message 10 of 17
Progressed
Aspirant

I know... but i was out of time and it was 3.30AM for the both of us neighbour 🙂

Do you know if i could extend the internal memory easy? google hasnt much to say about this.
Message 11 of 17
WhoCares_
Mentor

Progressed wrote:
I know... but i was out of time and it was 3.30AM for the both of us neighbour 🙂

Usually a good time to contact me 😉

Progressed wrote:
Do you know if i could extend the internal memory easy? google hasnt much to say about this.

Heven't tried with the Ultra yet. Works fine on my Pro, though. So if you open your Ultra and check what specs the current RAM has I don't see why it shouldn't work using larger modules.

-Stefan
Message 12 of 17
Progressed
Aspirant

Do you have some guides howto make addon-packages?
Message 13 of 17
WhoCares_
Mentor

Actually the general process is still the same as outline by Yoh-Dah's original post. The "magic" is in the install.sh which handles all the installation details and where you have to add your stuff.

-Stefan
Message 14 of 17
Progressed
Aspirant

updating the kernel now for installation of VMware... found compatible memory for upgrade.. going to buy 8 GB tommorow.

But seriously... if you can pull this off with kolab, I will donate extra money 🙂
Message 15 of 17
kdannath
Aspirant

I'll go inline with "Progressed", I will donate extra cash.
So what is the Status now? Any progres...
Message 16 of 17
MattyShack
Tutor

I have not had time to implement but, recommend trying with the Pro or Ultra series.

1. Setup VBox: Follow my guide post here for x86.
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=26468&start=360

2. Install CentOS 6.2 or 6.3 as VM

3a. Follow "Quick HOWTO: Kolab 2.4 on CentOS 6.2"
http://kolab.org/howto/quick-howto-kolab-24-centos-62
or
3b. Follow "Quick HOWTO: Kolab 3.0 pre-alpha on CentOS 6.3"
http://kolab.org/blog/grote/2012/07/18/kolab-3.0-pre-alpha-release-and-installation

Looks like OwnCloud will be integrated into Kolab 3.0 by final release.
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements