× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help with raid or whatever

ahagelthorn
Aspirant

Help with raid or whatever

hi, i have a readynas 104. i have 2 hdd, one of 1.5 tb and one of 500 gb. i want 2 volumes, one on each disk. but then when I buy a new hard drive and insert it. do I want this to only expand the data storage on one of the volumes. Can someone tell me how i configure this? I don't need a data protection because I have backup elsewhere.
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Help with raid or whatever

@ahagelthorn wrote:
hi, i have a readynas 104. i have 2 hdd, one of 1.5 tb and one of 500 gb. i want 2 volumes, one on each disk. but then when I buy a new hard drive and insert it. do I want this to only expand the data storage on one of the volumes. Can someone tell me how i configure this? I

You can't expand storage with a jbod volume.  What you'll need to do is destroy the volume, remove the old disk, and then insert the new one.  Then create a new volume (which can have the same name), recreate the shares, and restore the data from your backup.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@ahagelthorn wrote:
hi, i have a readynas 104. i have 2 hdd, one of 1.5 tb and one of 500 gb. i want 2 volumes, one on each disk. but then when I buy a new hard drive and insert it. do I want this to only expand the data storage on one of the volumes. Can someone tell me how i configure this? I

You can't expand storage with a jbod volume.  What you'll need to do is destroy the volume, remove the old disk, and then insert the new one.  Then create a new volume (which can have the same name), recreate the shares, and restore the data from your backup.

Message 2 of 9
ahagelthorn
Aspirant

Thanks for reply. But i read somewhere when you use x-raid it sounds like just install a new disk and then the readynas will configure it so i can use the new disk too?
Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@ahagelthorn wrote:
Thanks for reply. But i read somewhere when you use x-raid it sounds like just install a new disk and then the readynas will configure it so i can use the new disk too?

If you have two volumes, then you aren't using X-RAID.  You must be using FlexRAID.  You can check this by looking at the X-RAID control on the volume page of the web ui.  If it has a green stripe, then you are using X-RAID (and would only have one volume of 500 GB).

FWIW, since you have two empty bays, you could also just add the third disk, and create a third volume on it.  Then move some shares to that volume (or create new ones).

Message 4 of 9
ahagelthorn
Aspirant

Thanks, i think to adda a third volume is the best option.

But lets say that i want everything in one volume? So i have 2 disk as before but tjey are in the same volume, then i add a third disk. Is that so that i just get more storage space in the existing volume?

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@ahagelthorn wrote:
But lets say that i want everything in one volume? So i have 2 disk as before but tjey are in the same volume, then i add a third disk. Is that so that i just get more storage space in the existing volume?

While it is possible to do that without RAID redundancy, it's not something I recommend.  Although disks can be added to that array, you can't expand them (or replace them) without creating a new volume, and loading all the data from scratch.  So it's quite fragile.  The only reason to do it is if you have a share that simply can't fit on a single disk.

Honestly, given your disk sizes, I'd consider just getting one much larger disk (4-8 TB) and move everything onto that.  Then take your existing disks out of service.  (If they are mechanical disks, then they are likely very old).  

If you start over, then you could start with XRAID (single disk), then decide on the RAID configuration/number of volumes later on when you start to fill it up.

Message 6 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

How much total storage does your NAS currently show?  I'm not sure you really do have a JBOD volume, though it may just be an English language issue that's making it unclear.  If you can attach a screen dump of the Volumes page in the GUI, that would help.

Message 7 of 9
ahagelthorn
Aspirant

Ok, thanks for answer,
I also have a readynas 102 but on it I only have a 1 tb disk and it feels unnecessary to have 2 different devices that are half full so therefore I thought to remove my readynas 102 and just use 104, unfortunately 102 has started to warn about ata error and so I want to transfer everything from that hard drive to another 1.5 tb sitting in the 104, but also use a 500 gb one because I had one lying around but maybe that's stupid? maybe should ignore 500 gb completely. (at the moment they are completely formatted and emptied and so I thought I would start from scratch with my 104) but I want to somehow separate different things using volumes (was thinking of having one volume for monitoring at home and another for backups from computers and so on) the best would of course be to do as written, buy brand new hard drives with the same capacity and hardware but it will be quite expensive
Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@ahagelthorn wrote:
the best would of course be to do as written, buy brand new hard drives with the same capacity and hardware but it will be quite expensive

A single 4 TB NAS purposed disk would hold all your data.  US Amazon costs at the moment are about $83 for either a Seagate Ironwolf or a WD Red Plus drive (both of which are well matched to your NAS).

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements