× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to Install "Mosquitto MQTT server on Netgear Nas202"

itsnotworking
Aspirant

How to Install "Mosquitto MQTT server on Netgear Nas202"

I'm wanting to run "Mosquitto server" on my nas 202 but not able to figure how to install it. Anyone know how I could get this installed, or if this can be done?

Model: RN20221D|ReadyNAS202 2-Bay 2x1TB Desktop Drive
Message 1 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Via SSH, did the Debian instructions not work?  mosquitto-debian-repository.

Whenever you install somethng like this via SSH apt-get, it is best to create a directory for it in /apps, copy the content from the normal installation directory to the one you created, and then replace the original with a symbolic link to the one in /apps.  That helps keep the OS partition from filling up.

Message 2 of 7
itsnotworking
Aspirant

Thank You for your help Sandshark. My NAS202 has been on the shelf for over a year, bought it thinking I could build a secure home cloud to back up everything, but ran into a snag(and time) figuring out how to make that happen. Just bought a Hometroller ZEE S2 and was thinking that the NAS could be useful to make this "Mosquitto" server avialable. I will be studying and learning about SSH(and install it) to see how to put what you siad here to work.

Message 3 of 7
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

You can really screw up your NAS when you SSH into it!!!  Just a warning, know what you're doing.  I had to install a few apps this way because there wasn't a nice simple installer.  I'm not really a Linux person.  I managed, thanks to the Internet, took my time.   Maybe sure everyone on your NAS is backed up!!!  It should be anyway.  If you don't at least have a second copy of everything on it someplace else, you don't have a backup!!!

But ya, ReadyNAS is using the Debian version of Linux.  So that is the install instructions you would be looking for.

https://mosquitto.org/blog/2013/01/mosquitto-debian-repository/

I use a program called SmarTTY on my Windows computer which I like to SSH into my ReadyNAS 516.  You're going to log in as "root" and use your admin password.  I log in and I see this.  Have fun and be careful.  You were warned.

Welcome to ReadyNASOS 6.10.0-T272 (Beta 3)

Last login: Sat Jan 12 02:05:36 2019 from desktop-amu76gj.asusrouter
root@READYNAS:~#

Message 4 of 7
itsnotworking
Aspirant

Thank You very much for the help and the warning! I will look it up and be working on it.

Message 5 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Windows 10 did add a native SSH client a couple updates back (at least in the Pro version, I'm not sure about Home).  From a CMD prompt, just type ssh root@NAS.IP.address (using the actual IP, of course).  The password is the admin password for the NAS.  One thing I like more using PuTTY, though, is that it has a scrollable output window where the native Windows one does not.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Windows 10 did add a native SSH client a couple updates back (at least in the Pro version, I'm not sure about Home). 

Somehow I'd missed that!  

Thanks for the tip, my systems run Pro, so they do have that client.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements