× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to update BIOS w/ OS6.x installed

dk0r
Guide

How to update BIOS w/ OS6.x installed

So I decided to update the BIOS on my ReadyNAS PRO Pioneer (in order to increase the maximum memory capacity and add support for additional hardware CPU upgrades) and I noticed that people in the forum who had already installed OS6.x were struggling to perform the update. The problem they're having is that the BIOS update was packaged as an add-on for the old readynas os (Radiator 4.x) and is not compatible w/ OS6.x.

Currently, their options are:
a) (painstakingly) revert to Radiator 4.x in order to apply the bios update add-on and then reinstall OS6.x
b) ssh into their box, extract the correct bios update image from the add-on and then manually flash the bios.

I was about halfway through writing up a walk through for manual flashing when I found an article which detailed the process quite well.

For detailed instructions, see the 'BIOS Upgrade' section of the following article:
Replace the OS on ReadyNAS PRO

*note: There is a typo in the article's instructions which I've described below.
**note: This article assumes the user has a couple of packages (dmidecode and flashrom) already installed on their NAS.
If you're uncertain about how to obtain these packages, see the instructions below:

1) Ensure the ssh-toggle is enabled in the OS6.x web GUI under: System > Settings > Services

Then ssh into your ReadyNAS as root (in this example, my nas is located at 192.168.1.75)

$ ssh root@192.168.1.75

root@192.168.1.75's password: **************

Welcome to ReadyNASOS 6.2.2
Last login: Sat Jan 3 21:53:41 2015 from 192.168.1.5
root@readynas:~#

2) add a repository where you may download the packages required in the walkthrough:

# echo "deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian wheezy main non-free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

3) download/install the packages

# apt-get update
# apt-get install dmidecode flashrom

Also, there is a typo in the article's instructions which I would like to draw attention to. First, this is what the article says:

warwick.ac.uk wrote:

This is when you want to be connected to a UPS:

# /opt/biosflash/flashrom -c W25x80 -w /opt/biosflash/RN_NV6_072610.ROM
flashrom v0.9.3-r1205 on Linux 3.7.5-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64 (x86_64), built with libpci 2.2.4-pre4, GCC 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21), little endian
flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org

Calibrating delay loop... OK.
No coreboot table found.
Found chipset "Intel ICH8/ICH8R", enabling flash write... OK.
This chipset supports the following protocols: FWH,SPI.
Found chip "Winbond W25x80" (1024 KB, SPI) at physical address 0xfff00000.
Flash image seems to be a legacy BIOS. Disabling checks.
Writing flash chip... Erasing flash before programming... Erasing flash chip... SUCCESS.
done.
Programming flash... done.
COMPLETE.
Verifying flash... VERIFIED.

Notice that when he actually flashed the new bios, he does:

# flashrom -c W25x80 -w /opt/biosflash/RN_NV6_072610.ROM

If you enter the above command, you'll receive an error about a non-supported chipset.
To correct this, simply capitalize the x in the chipset's name. That is, change "x" to "X" and you'll be good:

# flashrom -c W25X80 -w /opt/biosflash/RN_NV6_072610.ROM
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements