× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I can't delete the "Home Folder" on my ReadyNas OS 6.10.3

Bob245
Guide

I can't delete the "Home Folder" on my ReadyNas OS 6.10.3

Hello at all,
in my ReadyNas OS 6.10.3 I would like to completely remove the "Home Folder" but I can't.
I have already read this thread https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Deleting-old-home-directories/td-p/... on the forum, but the command "btrfs" is not recognized and therefore I cannot use the indications of that thread.
I am in the same condition as that thread. I have some folders of the domain to which I was previously connected and then I have the folders of the local user "admin" and "test".
Obviously I have disabled SMB on the Home Folder so that it doesn't see it as a share ...

Ok all the folders are empty but I don't like seeing them in the management interface.
I entered SSH as an admin user, to try to delete those folders via shell command line (rm * -f -r) but I can't because it always gives me "Operation not permitted".
Do I have to resign myself to keeping the "Home Folder" or is there a possibility for its removal?
Thank you. Bob

Model: RND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: I can't delete the "Home Folder" on my ReadyNas OS 6.10.3

You show in your signature that you have an NV+V2, which does not run OS6 nor use BTRFS.  Please confirm which NAS this is on.

Assuming you also have a newer NAS you just haven't added to your signature, you have to use root credentials, not admin, in SSH.  The root password is the same as your admin password.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Bob245 wrote:

Do I have to resign myself to keeping the "Home Folder" or is there a possibility for its removal?

I suggest leaving it.  It might be possible to delete it with ssh, but that would likely have side effects - since the application software assumes it is there.

Message 2 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

You show in your signature that you have an NV+V2, which does not run OS6 nor use BTRFS.  Please confirm which NAS this is on.

Assuming you also have a newer NAS you just haven't added to your signature, you have to use root credentials, not admin, in SSH.  The root password is the same as your admin password.

Message 3 of 8
Bob245
Guide

Hi, my system is ReadyNas Pro 4 (RNDP4000).
Ok, I need to use the ssh session with the "root" administrative user.
Now with the root user I can use the btrfs command and then I finally deleted all the sub-folders of the Home folder.
What happens if I also delete the Home folder?

So many thanks. Bob

Message 4 of 8
Bob245
Guide

Hi, I have deleted the various folders with ssh and I am satisfied.

I realize that perhaps it is better to leave the Home Folder in order not to have problems in the future. Thank you

Message 5 of 8
Bob245
Guide

Hi, just one last question.

I realized that the folders of the local user, under the "Home Folder"  are still created.
In my case I use only one user called "veeam-account" and if I delete this folder, it is then recreated.
The SMB service on the share Home Folder is disabled but the system still creates a folder for each local user present and used.
It is not important but I was wondering if I could disable the creation of the home folder of the local user used. Thank you. Bob

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Bob245 wrote:

but I was wondering if I could disable the creation of the home folder of the local user used.

I don't think you can.  But it shouldn't possible to put anything into that folder, unless you are using NAS admin credentials to access the full data volume with SMB.

Message 7 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

In the old RAIDiator firmware, you could.  But in OS6, you can't.  I suspect that's because of the dependency of things like Time Machine backups on the existance of a Home folder.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements