× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Incremental cloud backup to Azure after Initial DataBox upload

readyjoove
Aspirant

Incremental cloud backup to Azure after Initial DataBox upload

I have a Pro Pioneer (ReadyNAS Pro6: 6.10.3, XRAID) as my main NAS and a smaller 2 bay readynas as the backup (JBOD). While I should have been checking the backup-nas status more frequently, I relied on it's alert mechanism and apparently the alerts to my gmail account have been failing for a while (it is on OS 6.5.x). I realized only a couple days back that it is out of space. This scare is making me revisit cloud backups: currently exploring Azure blob cold storage (S3 Galacier is my second option).

I have around 4TB of data max. However, given my 5Mbps upload, I am looking at around 2 months to upload 4TB(No AT&T or Sonic DSL in my part of Mountain View, CA). The Azure data-box drive (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databox/data-box-disk-overview) service where I simply ship them my data in a 8TB SSD (around 90$: 50$ for the order, 30$ for shipping and 10$/day if I keep it beyond 3 days) seems to be super useful for my scenario.

I am hoping to get help from the awesome folk in this forum and see if I can make this two-step process workable.

1. Seed the initial azure blob backup to an SSD (targeting blob storage). Unknown here is how to setup the directory/file structure in a way the integrated azure backup app recognizes.
  2. One azure load the disk to my cloud blob location, resume incremental backups using the integrated Azure backup in the OS6 GUI

Can this work ? I am assuming that the azure backup app in OS6 needs to create the initial backup (converting shares/files into blob/container/files) for it to figure out the incremental uploads needed. Hoping there is a way to use the app's underlying components via ssh to seed a backup location ? Any suggestions/alternatives will be welcome. I can dig into the scripts if someone can help point me in the right direction.

thanks in advance

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements