× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Install BackupPC on Readynas NV+

igor99
Aspirant

Install BackupPC on Readynas NV+

I am wondering, if anyone has already tried to install Backuppc on a Readynas. As I would like to backup remote machines with daily snapshots, ie a different folder per machine for every day.

I am already succeded to install backuppc through apt-get, but getting this error message, when it is configured:

> Can't exec "chfn": No such file or directory at /usr/sbin/adduser line 765.
> chown: `backuppc:backuppc': invalid user
> dpkg-statoverride: non-existing user backuppc
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/backuppc.postinst: line 83: htpasswd2: command not found
> Starting backuppc: start-stop-daemon: user `backuppc' not found
> (Success)
> invoke-rc.d: initscript backuppc, action "start" failed.

first, it seems the install routine was not able to create the user backuppc - it might need the user admin, rather than backuppc user to run smoothly on the nas. Second, I was wondering how it is possible to add the backuppc document folders to the apache server (in /etc/frontview/apache/httpd.conf).

Or there might be another easier way to get running backuppc - anyway i would be very glad, if someone could give a tip.
Message 1 of 15
chirpa
Luminary

Re: Install BackupPC on Readynas NV+

Try installing the 'passwd' package, which should add the chfn program.
Message 2 of 15
igor99
Aspirant

Just tried - it says passwd is already the newest version. i have added then manually the user:group backuppc.

Then though, when trying to start backuppc i get the following error message:
Starting backuppc: Can't locate DirHandle.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/share/backuppc/lib /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/share/backuppc/lib/BackupPC/Lib.pm line 45.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/backuppc/lib/BackupPC/Lib.pm line 45.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC line 60.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC line 60.

are there any libraries missing?
Message 3 of 15
chirpa
Luminary

DirHandle.pm is part of the 'perl-modules' package, try installing that. Use can try to use apt-get -f to force it to install if it says its already there.

Or do this:

# wget http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/perl/perl-modules_5.8.8-7etch3_all.deb
# dpkg-deb -x perl-modules_5.8.8-7etch3_all.deb ./tmp
# cp ./tmp/usr/share/perl/5.8.8/DirHandle.pm /usr/share/perl/5.8.8/
Message 4 of 15
igor99
Aspirant

thank you very much - did as you said, it also removed the existing error message - but got a new one: now the Compare.pm cannot be located. Is there a possibility to install all relevant perl stuff without leaving out any functions etc (as your hint with the manual installation of perl-modules)? with Dpkg i see that the package description seems to be custom-made for Readynas - (perl, perl-base, perl-modules, perl-suid)?

here's the error message:

>Starting backuppc: Can't locate File/Compare.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/share/backuppc/lib /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/share/backuppc/lib/BackupPC/Lib.pm line 47.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/backuppc/lib/BackupPC/Lib.pm line 47.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC line 60.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC line 60.
Message 5 of 15
chirpa
Luminary

Try 'apt-get -f install perl-modules' to put them all there.
Message 6 of 15
duaneg
Aspirant

Hi Folks,

Hope you don't mind if I pickup this thread, but I am trying to do the same thing on my Duo, and have gotten precisely the same results as mentioned above. The suggestion of apt-get -f perl-modules just says the package is already the most recent version. I find things like:

nas-02-33-A4:~# dpkg -L perl-modules | grep Handle
/usr/share/perl/5.8.8/DirHandle.pm
/usr/share/perl/5.8.8/Attribute/Handlers.pm
/usr/share/perl/5.8.8/Tie/Handle.pm

But if I look in /usr/share/perl/5.8.8:
nas-02-33-A4:/usr/share/perl/5.8.8# ls -l D*
DBM_Filter:
total 0

Devel:
total 0

Digest:
total 0

The modules are not there even though the package says they should be. I have another Debian sarge system which is ARM based and it has perl 5.8.4 with all the modules as listed by dpkg.

If I could make backuppc work, I would buy a second Duo just for backups and use my current one as a media server.

Thanks for any ideas,
Duane
Message 7 of 15
Mark_V
Aspirant

I really hope someone can figure this out. I am trying to install zabbix and I get the same error message when I try to add user 'zabbix'.
Message 8 of 15
Mark_V
Aspirant

When I figured that chfn does not do much, I did this:
touch /usr/bin/chfn #which made an empty file named chfn
chmod 755 /usr/bin/chfn #which makes chfn executable
adduser #where I added the user zabbix
cat /etc/passwd #where I saw the new user was added! Yaaaa!

I am not sure if I will run into problems later, but 1 hurdle has been jumped.
I hope this helps someone.
Mark
Message 9 of 15
Mark_V
Aspirant

Sorry about the chatter but here is something else I found at
http://www.regatta.cmc.msu.ru/doc/usr/share/man/info/ru_RU/a_doc_lib/cmds/aixcmds1/chfn.htm

The chfn command changes a user's gecos information. Gecos information is general information stored in the /etc/passwd file. This information is not used by the system. The type of information you store in this field is up to you. Some system administrators store information such as the user's full name, phone number, and office number.
Message 10 of 15
gabriel_hahmann
Aspirant

Sorry to bother you but did anybody actually got BackupPC working on the Duo or the NV+? As I've seen on the compatibility chart, both have the same hardware, I mean, same processor and amount of memory, the huge difference is that NV+ can hold four disks.

I would really appreciate any response as I wanna buy one Duo and I really need this feature to acomplish my goals.

Thanks for all for the great forum and speed on answering the questions.

Gabriel.
Message 11 of 15
hno
Aspirant
Aspirant

If apt-get complains that the package is already there then use the alternative dpkg method explained earlier, but extract to / instead of /tmp

# wget http://www.readynas.com/packages/readynas/perl-modules_5.8.8-7.infrant2_all.deb
# dpkg-deb -x perl-modules_5.8.8-7.infrant2_all.deb /
Message 12 of 15
marfea
Aspirant

I've had a slightly different experience with installing backuppc on a Readynas Duo. My best attempt has been as follows:

1. Install togglessh, enablessh and apt.
2. SSH into the NAS, and enter the following:

apt-get update
apt-get --reinstall install perl perl-base perl-modules perl-doc
apt-get install backuppc

This failed as follows:

/var/lib/dpkg/info/backuppc.postinst: line 83: htpasswd2: command not found
Starting backuppc: 2009-08-10 06:54:24 $Conf{NmbLookupPath} = '/usr/bin/nmblookup' is not a valid executable program
invoke-rc.d: initscript backuppc, action "start" failed.

So I too cannot find htpasswd2, but the installer has successfully created the backuppc user.

Looking into the lack of nmblookup, dpkg -l | grep sa?mba? reveals:

ii samba 3.0.34.netgear2 a LanManager-like file and printer server fo
ii samba-common 3.0.34.netgear2 Samba common files used by both the server a
ii smbclient 3.0.34.netgear2 a LanManager-like simple client for Unix
ii smbfs 3.0.34.netgear2 mount and umount commands for the smbfs (for

So there is obviously a "special" version of smbclient that doesn't include nmblookup. This is a bit of a pain, because this is how backuppc finds machines to back up.

Q1: Does anyone have ideas as to where I can find (or in desperation compile) nmblookup?

Weirdly, when I start backuppc manually (using /etc/init.d/backuppc start), I get a different error:

Starting backuppc: /usr/bin/perl: relocation error: /usr/lib/perl5/auto/Compress/Zlib/Zlib.so: undefined symbol: Perl_Gthr_key_ptr

Q2: How do I solve the zlib problem?
Message 13 of 15
tahintz
Aspirant

I had better luck installing a full, but separate, version of perl:

apt-get install gcc bison make libc6-dev
wget http://www.cpan.org/src/5.0/perl-5.12.2.tar.gz
tar xzf perl-5.12.2.tar.gz
cd perl-5.12.2
./Configure -des -Dprefix=$HOME/tools/perl -Accflags="-DHAS_SYSCALL_PROTO -DHAS_SHMAT_PROTOTYPE"
make install
$HOME/tools/perl/bin/cpan install YAML LWP
Message 14 of 15
Infinite
Aspirant

hno wrote:
If apt-get complains that the package is already there then use the alternative dpkg method explained earlier, but extract to / instead of /tmp

# wget http://www.readynas.com/packages/readynas/perl-modules_5.8.8-7.infrant2_all.deb
# dpkg-deb -x perl-modules_5.8.8-7.infrant2_all.deb /

So... this helped fix many of my issues, but now I'm getting this...

$ make
make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib/perl/5.8/CORE/config.h', needed by `Makefile'. Stop.

I Googled the error and it looks like I need Perl-devel.

From http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/t ... oting.html:
If while running 'make' you get a message:
make: *** No rule to make target
`/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3/i386-linux/CORE/config.h',
needed by `Makefile'. Stop.

That means that your Perl installation is incomplete. Usually this is the case on package based distros, where perl is split across multiple packages. Usually you need to install the Perl-devel package to be able to build any other Perl modules that include XS extensions.

Any idea's on how to fix this? I was hoping to keep 5.8.8 so that I can package up the modules in a Frontview package.

Thanks.
-i
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements