× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Java Support for Readynas Suveillance RN102

sayerns
Aspirant

Java Support for Readynas Suveillance RN102

Can anyone help.

Now that all the major Web browsers (Firefox, Edge, Chrome) are not supporting Java anymore, How can i view my Camera Feeds in Readynas Surveillance which relys on Java?

Nigel

Message 1 of 9
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi sayerns,

I can inquire about this but have you tried to use IE or Safari for viewing camera feeds?

Regards,

Message 2 of 9
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi sayerns,

Were you able to try IE or Safari?

Regards,

Message 3 of 9
sayerns
Aspirant

IE crshes when i try and i dont want to download yet another browser so Safari is out of the question.

It seems to be the fact that Readynas relies on Java for playback and realtime viewing of the Video. Now that Firefox and other browsers do not support Java, the Platback video will not work rendering the system useless. I believe Readynas needs to adopt a new protocol for the showing of the video feed. 

As i mostly use my RN102 box for this purpose, it seems the box itself is obsolete. Does anyone have any workarounds or other ideas? 

Message 4 of 9
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi sayerns,

I will seek additional information if we have anything that we can assist you with.

Regards,

Message 5 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could try a different browser.

Message 6 of 9
robmack
Initiate

I totally agree that ReadyNAS Surveillance needs some love and attention!  It seems to have been abandoned, which is very frustrating after having shelled out hundreds of $ for camera licenses.

Both the web app (using Java) AND the iPhone app (Surveillance) are out of date. When I launch the app on my iPhone, I get a message saying the app developer needs to update it.  Of course, this is out of my control and I just have to hope Netgear will eventually throw some resources at this.

I was able to get the Java plugin running by using the Firefox "Extended Support Release" or ESR version. This version still supports the API needed by the Java plugin.See https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/  You have to add the IP of your ReadyNAS to the list of trusted sites in the Java configuration and accept a bunch of warnings, but the live view works, and sometimes downloading previous recordings works.  But this seems fragile and likely to stop working at any time.

Can Netgear make a formal announcement on whether Surveillance is abandoned or not?  The updates in the last couple years seem only to add support for new camera, not to fix any bugs, add any features or improve reliability.

Message 7 of 9
Brannor
Guide

I've tried the various browsers over time and have had to settle on IE.  if IE11 isn't working for you, you can try the Internet Explorer extention for Chrome (if you use Chrome...) which might help.

I support Robmack's post.  All of us paid a fair bit for the licenses for this software and though there have been mini releases recently, I think those are just rebuilds to get them onto the new OS version?

I'd love a feature where our licenses are kept at Netgear and linked to our NAS serial and and our account... currently, if anything goes wrong, you're generally having to beg Netgear to unlock the licenses for you once you're out of warranty, which is just plain silly.  The issues with Surveillance has made me wary of updating the NAS's firmware because of little quirks like this.

-G

Message 8 of 9
yoban
Apprentice

Hi there, 

Possible solution would be for netgear to migrate all users of Readynas Surveillance to Milestone Arcus and work out a similar licensing deal that we currently all have.

When you look at the offering of Qnap/Synology - there is a lot of work to do to get up to that standard. Easier to make Arcus the go to solution.

Yoban.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements