× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Management Service is offline - Due to Plex

nhelp
Aspirant

Management Service is offline - Due to Plex

I have a RN104 and use it primarily as a streaming media server. Any attempts to use plex (installed on the RN) results in the systems management service going offline in addition to the front interface being unaccessible (when hitting the power button). File sharing continues to work, as does the plex interface, but the RN is not accesible by any other means. The fix has always been to reload the entire system and not use plex. Each firmware release I hope the plex issue is resolved, but its still an issue. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: Management Service is offline - Due to Plex

I have seen the web ui become unresponsive for a bit when plex was building or updating a library.  Not sure, but I suspect that's a task prioritization issue. 

But I haven't seen the web ui become unresponsive simply because I was using plex.  Only when I was creating or updating a large library.

Are you seeing something different?

Message 2 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which services are you running? The 100 series is a cost effective storage solution and some combinations of services don't work well.

When you encounter the issue can you download the logs using RAIDar 6.0 (if you can't reboot the system and try to download the logs) and send them in?

Message 3 of 10
nhelp
Aspirant

Appreciate the response. Currently I have: SMB, AFP, Rsync, NFS, UPnP, FTP, http, and https running on my 104. The only app that I have running is Plex. Consistently when I install and run Plex, I run into this issue. If I restart my RN the problem goes away for a few hours, then the managment service shutdown again. To your point on Raidar, I have to use it to restart the system because this issue makes the web interface and power button unusable. 

Message 4 of 10
nhelp
Aspirant

Yes, the issue is not associated to the plex library update; even after the library update the detailed issues persist and are only temporarily resolved via a restart (using RaidAr).

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

You tried uninstalling/reinstalling plex?  

Also are you using the normal 32400 port for the plex interface?

Message 6 of 10
vandermerwe
Master

Have you tried mdgm's suggestion to turn off as many services as you can and seeing if the problem goes away?

Message 7 of 10
nhelp
Aspirant

Yes, I have tried shutting down services. DLNA, and Antivirus were recently shut down to test. The problem still remains. I have also accomplished the uninstall and reinstall of plex (even used different versions) - The problem remains that if you use Plex with my RN, those issues occur. I appreciate all of the feedback/assistance. 

Message 8 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which version of Plex are you running?

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Also I am wondering if the issue is specific to some of your media files - that is not uncommon with streaming media servers.

Did you try starting with a small library of files that are known to be good and are properly tagged?

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements