× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Migrating from one ReadyNAS to another

andiyar
Aspirant

Migrating from one ReadyNAS to another

I have what I hope isn't too stupid a question. I've currently got a ReadyNAS 214 model which I use for a combination of home office and media server cases (has plex installed). I'm considering moving to a more powerful ReadyNAS system - looking at something similar to the 526x, which I know is going from a 4 disk to a 6 disk system.

My question is: when I decide on a new system, can I simply take the old disks out of the old system and slot them into the new one? Or do I need to purchase new disks and migrate my data across manually? With the caveat that if I buy a larger-bay system I would of course be putting 'blank' extra disks in.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Migrating from one ReadyNAS to another

@andiyar

Welcome to the Community!

Migrating your RN214 disks to your new RN526x or bigger NAS should be as easy as transferring the disks in order. This will work since both units are on OS6 firmware. It is advisable to upgrade the new NAS to the latest firmware first. If you are planning to expand your drives, it would be better to purchase larger capacity disks and set it up with the RN526X then transfer your data from RN214 to RN526X using the built in backup feature or other backup software. If you don't have any plans then you can proceed with inserting the old disks and then add the same capacity for the remaining slots.

One thing to take note though would be the apps installed, since you are planning on using a x86 platform, Apps from an ARM device will not be compatible so uninstalling it first and then reinstalling a x86 version on the new NAS once it's setup.

HTH

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@andiyar

Welcome to the Community!

Migrating your RN214 disks to your new RN526x or bigger NAS should be as easy as transferring the disks in order. This will work since both units are on OS6 firmware. It is advisable to upgrade the new NAS to the latest firmware first. If you are planning to expand your drives, it would be better to purchase larger capacity disks and set it up with the RN526X then transfer your data from RN214 to RN526X using the built in backup feature or other backup software. If you don't have any plans then you can proceed with inserting the old disks and then add the same capacity for the remaining slots.

One thing to take note though would be the apps installed, since you are planning on using a x86 platform, Apps from an ARM device will not be compatible so uninstalling it first and then reinstalling a x86 version on the new NAS once it's setup.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 3
andiyar
Aspirant

Many thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos