× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.

More on CPU specs of the ReadyNAS Pro

MrCyberdude
Tutor

Re: More on CPU specs of the ReadyNAS Pro

@cpitchford. Hi, I was wondering which version of CPU you had for EACH of the E6600 and E6700 as I cannot find mention of it in your post. ?
SL9S7, SL9ZF, SL9ZL, SL9S8. Any Alternatives for both CPU and Fan?

E6700 http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9S7
These parts have Extended Halt (C1E) power of 22W.
These parts have THERMTRIP# enabled

E6700 http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9ZF
These parts have Extended Halt (C1E) power of 12W.
These parts support Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) feature

They have quite different C1E values that may possibly make the difference. Also there is TM2?
I'm not so concerned about the N^ speed but would like some CPU choices as they are almost extinct.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/ ... odes/611/1

Also your E6600 comes in 2 variants
E6600 http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9ZL
These parts have Extended Halt (C1E) power of 12W.
Missing: These parts have THERMTRIP# enabled --**-- This is on Intels Site.. Typo maybe ??

E6600 http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9S8
These parts have Extended Halt (C1E) power of 22W.
Message 51 of 285
jakkes
Aspirant

Would this cpu work in a readynas pro:
Intel Boxed Intel Pentium Dual-Core ProcessorE6700 ( 2MB Cache 3.33 GHz 1066 MHz FSB)2 cores & 2 threads. LGA775

Or this one:
Intel Boxed Intel Pentium Dual-Core ProcessorE6700 (2MB Cache 3.20 GHz 1066 MHz FSB)2cores & 2 threads. LGA775
Message 52 of 285
WhoCares_
Mentor

Nope, tested both of them. Neither works 😉

-Stefan
Message 53 of 285
jakkes
Aspirant

Did you find a cpu that did work?
Message 54 of 285
WhoCares_
Mentor

jakkes wrote:
Did you find a cpu that did work?

Core2 E6600 & E6700 (why Intel did re-use these numbers for the Dual-Core Pentium, I'll never understand).
On Intel's site, look up the DP965/967 Chipset specs. There should be a list of compatible CPUs (at least there was last time I looked).

-Stefan
Message 55 of 285
jakkes
Aspirant

ok, thanks for the tip.

Now trying to get a cpu....
Message 56 of 285
ddoming73
Tutor

Just installed a Core 2 Duo E6700 with a Silverstone FM83 fan on Readynas Pro Pioneer

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=fm83

Some slight tinkering is necessary to make the fan fit as it is so tall that it touches the side panel, but everything seems to be running fine. I do hope the increased power of the fan (it is actually a 92mm fan in a 80mm frame, with up to 72 CFM) offsets the increase in power of the CPU.

I have a question:

Is it possible to control the minimum/maximum fan RPM in the Pro? I have seen an add-on for this but it is only for Sparc.
Message 57 of 285
jmirabil
Aspirant

Does an E8600 work? Alot of power but should run cooler than an E6600.

Anyone try an E8600 in a readynas pro?
Message 58 of 285
xtrips1
Aspirant

Hello

Who here can claim having performed the best Readynas Pro upgrade (cpu and memory)?
By best I mean of course most performance gain without stability issues.
I want to do the same but I'd rather rely on my most experienced peers.

Thank you
Message 59 of 285
ddoming73
Tutor

I have received some private queries on the performance of my Readynas Pro Pioneer after upgrading it to an E6700 CPU. I post here to benefit everybody.

The upgraded Cpu has been in place for 9 months with no issues that I can see. I had a scare after upgrading the unit to 4.2.18 a few days ago because the unit suddenly locked up and refused to boot. But the problem went away after a few reboot attempts and an fs check, so I'm inclined to think that it was a glitch with the upgrade.

I also increased memory to 4GB a while ago.

Which upgrade gives more performance increase? I think the CPU upgrade is worthwhile for me because I manage a big share with a lot of large files (my DVD collection actually), so I do benefit from the added power when it comes to fs scans and rsync backups. I haven't tried video transcoding yet but I hope it will be an advantage there too... your mileage may vary.

I installed a big fan along with the new CPU, but I'm thinking that maybe it is not necessary. The Stock fan is probably enough to cool it. The fan rpms will be higher on average though. The advantage of my big fan is that it can do effective cooling while being reasonably quiet. Actually my Pro Pioneer seems to be a lot quieter than The Ultra 6 I have as a backup unit.

Hope this helps...
Message 60 of 285
xtrips1
Aspirant

Thanks for sharing.
So to sum up, I can go for a E6700 and 4Gb of ram without worries.
I still have some more questions though.
Is that compatible with my Readynas Pro (not Pioneer)?
I suppose the 4Gb ram are 2x2Gb DDR2, but what kind? I mean the laptop kind or PC kind? What speed?
Is the access ti the mobo easy? Maybe screenshots or a Youtube howto is available?

Thx
Message 61 of 285
ddoming73
Tutor

hi

The Pro and Pro Pioneer are the same hardware. So it should work fine on the Pro.

Regarding the memory, it is normal PC DDR2 memory, I don't remember the exact speed rating I bought, but there are some threads on compatible memory here at the forums. A lot of people have successfully upgraded, so it should not be a problem.

Regarding the CPU, getting ahold of one will be tough, I had to buy mine on ebay... Nothing special about installing it, except that I recommend you clean out the stock thermal paste throughly and spend a few bucks on artic silver. You'll get a few degrees better cooling just for that.

Sorry no videos...
Message 62 of 285
xtrips1
Aspirant

Hello,

Today I bought an Intel CPU E6700 3.2GHz and 2X2Gb Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066MGHz Dual channel and Surprise...

Nothing worked.
Not when both the new pieces were installed
Nor when I tried them alternatively with the other original piece.
No matter what permutation I tried the NAS just started and got stuck on the ReadyNAS name displayed on the display.
But as soon as I reverted to the original Cpu and 1gb memory bar it worked fine.
So what happened?
Maybe this mobo does not support Dual Channel memory? Maybe I need 2X2Gb regular DDR2 PC memory and not dual channel?
And what about the Cpu? Maybe it does not support the 3.2Ghz speed? Maybe i should go lower?

Isn't there any vga output on the mobo? Something that could give me a hint?

I need your help here.

Thanks
Message 63 of 285
MikeMcr1
Aspirant

xtrips wrote:
Isn't there any vga output on the mobo? Something that could give me a hint?

Yes, there is a VGA header if I remember correctly. You need a "Low Profile Graphics Card Bracket VGA Extension Cable" to use it.
Message 64 of 285
ddoming73
Tutor

Hi,

Regarding the CPU, I'm pretty sure it is NOT going to work. The E6700 part that works with the Readynas is rated to 2.66 GHz.

http://ark.intel.com/products/27251/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E6700-(4M-Cache-2_66-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB)

And it is NOT easy to find as I think it is no longer being manufactured.

Regarding the memory, I read a bit in the forum before buying... I have looked at my mails and found the invoice. This is what I bought, and it work inmediately with no tinkering.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=BL2KIT25664AA80A

Hope this helps...
Message 65 of 285
gazgaz
Aspirant

unfortunately this link for the ram does not work now
if you are looking can you give other details on the ram to use
Message 66 of 285
ddoming73
Tutor

Crucial has apparently EOLed that particular kit.

The description was:

Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT25664AA80A

So the important points are:

1) DDR2 800 (or higher) memory in 240 pin DIMM format, unbuffered, non-ECC

2) 2 DIMMs of 2 Gygabytes each, for a total of 4 Gbytes

3) The BL2KIT25664AA80A was rated up to 2.0 volts, but that's for overclocking which the Readynas does not do AFAIK. Any 1.8 Volts kit should work too.

A new parametric search at Crucial returns 2 possible kits:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listmod ... /list.html

Any of them should be fine, but try at your risk.
Message 67 of 285
sleepy06405
Aspirant

Old old thread.. But the question on specific cpu was never answered. In my case core2duo E6700 SL9ZF worked. Hope some future person finds this helpful!

If someone knows something faster than that cpu that works, please share.
Message 68 of 285
WhoCares_
Mentor

I guess there's no faster one than the E6700 working for the older Pro series. Still trying to get hold of one or at least an E6600 myself but the prices they charge over here are outrageous.

-Stefan
Message 69 of 285
grimloch
Aspirant

I found an E6600 on my local craigslist for about $50 last year. I have an android app called "Craigslist Notification" that searches multiple times a day for many items, including "E6700", which seems more difficult to find. I see E6600s pop up in used desktop systems quite regularly.
Message 70 of 285
sleepy06405
Aspirant

Be careful with the generic intel e6700 part number, intel also makes a boring pentium d with an e6700 name. Be sure its a core2duo e6700.
Message 71 of 285
WhoCares_
Mentor

Actually what I'd be interested in is testing a Core2Quad because judging from the board specs there should be at least two models that might work.

-Stefan
Message 72 of 285
grimloch
Aspirant

Now that would be cool. Which two Core2Quads models are you thinking?
Message 73 of 285
WhoCares_
Mentor

That'd be the Q6600 or Q6700 (For the older Pro models, that is. Dont't have any real board info for the newer ones).

-Stefan
Message 74 of 285
sleepy06405
Aspirant

I have a qx6700 here I could try. Its the same as the q but has an unlocked multiplier. The Q chips put out twice the heat though, there is no space in the readynas for an appropriate heatsink. I've had random luck with the qx, not everything that accepts the q will take the qx, which is silly, its the same exact chip, just unlocked. I'll give it a try and see if it boots.
Message 75 of 285