× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: More on CPU specs of the ReadyNAS Pro

renedis
Aspirant

Tried 2 different CPU's that I had in stock.

E6550 http://ark.intel.com/products/30783

and

E8400 http://ark.intel.com/nl/products/33910/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E8400-6M-Cache-3_00-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB

Both did not work. Probably because of the 1333MHz FSB.

I have:

07/26/2010 FLAME6-MB V2.0 bios
FLAME6 V1.1 board
(Yellow) Sticker near processor: FA5

Now I'm waiting for my Q6600 to arrive, hope that it works on my board..
Message 201 of 285
renedis
Aspirant

Q6600 SLACR works on my board but with the errors.

07/26/2010 FLAME6-MB V2.0 bios
FLAME6 V1.1 board
(Yellow) Sticker near processor: FA5
Message 202 of 285
noadvertise
Tutor

ddoming73 wrote:
Hi everybody,

I couldn't resist and went and bought the Q6700 for my readynas Pro Pioneer. However, installing it wasn't as straightforward as I thought. Once installed, the system started sending out scary alarms like:

DDB18 power is out of normal range [expected: 1.80 current: -0.00].
AVCC power is out of normal range [expected: 3.30 current: -0.00].
VCC3 power is out of normal range [expected: 3.30 current: -0.00].
VCC1_25 power is out of normal range [expected: 1.25 current: -0.00].
VCC1_5 power is out of normal range [expected: 1.50 current: -0.00].
VCC1_05 power is out of normal range [expected: 1.04 current: -0.00].
3VDUAL power is out of normal range [expected: 3.30 current: -0.00].
VBAT power is out of normal range [expected: 3.30 current: -0.00].

However, the CPU seemed to be running fine. After some research I traced the cause to the /frontview/conf/enclosure.db file. Fortunately this file is a sqlite DB, which I could modify. To make a long story short, you have to change the paths where the system looks for voltage and temp data from /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2 (which assumes a dual core CPU) to /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon4 (which assumes a quad core CPU).

I wonder if the people that tried quad core CPUs before ran into this too? Maybe this format was introduced recently? I'm running Radiator 4.2.21

I know it's too much to ask but maybe netgear can make this conf more CPU independent in later releases?

can we make the short story a bit longer? 😄 Does that mean replace all instances of hwmon2 with hwmon4 - or only specific instances?

I just put in my quad and am getting those errors... also getting a fan failure error
Fan 1 has failed ( -22 rpm).
Message 203 of 285
noadvertise
Tutor

Hmm, ok well i answered my own question by checking the paths of ever hwmon2 and finding out they are file not found. Whereas all of the hwmon4 paths existed. So the answer is, swap out all hwmon2 for hwmon4. However, you can't just nano or vi the enclosure.db file. Doing so is what caused my odd fan 1 has failed message. I used an sqlite editor, scp'd the enclosure.db file down local, upon viewing the data, I found that its structure had a main list containing all the readynas models. I clicked my readynas model, edited the column "paths", replaced all hwmon2 with hwmon4, saved, and uploaded back to my nas, overwriting the old file (i of course made a backup first).

Once done, the readynas seems to be fully and properly functional now. No more errors and the "health" view properly displays everything.

If anyone gets stuck on this part, let me know, I'll up screenshots and more details.
Message 204 of 285
Xaver
Tutor

Hi,

finally I have also upgradet the CPU of my Pro 6 from E2160 to E7600 (Board FLAME6 v1.1.)

first try won't work but after upgrading the BIOS from something/2008 to this 07/26/2010 FLAME6-MB V2.0
(http://www.readynas.com/download/addons ... .5-x86.bin from here viewtopic.php?f=35&t=29284&start=135#p387035)
it worked 🙂

my idle temp is 3C° more, about 56C° which is fine for me (Room temperature is 28C°, no air-con in the office 😞 )
I have 4GB (4-5-5-18 DDR2) Memory, maybe I will upgrade this at well to 8GB 🙂

so now VirtualBox should be fine for running win8
Message 205 of 285
ATCIS
Tutor

ReadyNAS Pro BIOS Upgrade

chirpa wrote:
There may be even newer BIOS now, but I don't work there anymore to know that.

You can try running this add-on (install in FrontView, don't need USB boot anymore), which will update to the latest I had at the time: http://www.readynas.com/download/addons ... .5-x86.bin

That v0.5 add-on provides these BIOS versions:
  • Ultra2/ReadyNAS-ProUltra2 (1102/v1.8)

• Ultra4/ReadyNAS-NVX-V2 (0823/v1.1)

• Ultra6/FLAME6-2 (0610/v1.1)

• Pro(6)/FLAME6-MB (0726/v2.0)

Has anyone tried using this BIOS Update method on a Pro running OS6 v6.0.8. If so did you have any success?
EDIT/P.S.: I just tried this on an Ultra 4 running OS6 v6.0.8. I got an error that said "Error: Only Debian package is allowed". So I'm guessing that this will not work on the Pro either. . .
If not, is there an alternative method for performing the BIOS update without having to go back to Frontview v4.2.23?
Additionally, is this the latest and greatest BIOS revision that we currently know of?

Thanks in advance!
Message 206 of 285
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You have to install dmidecode and flashrom via apt-get. Then download the add-on onto the NAS and extract the contents of the add-on .bin manually, look at the contents of install.sh and run flashrom manually. Do make sure to check the current bios version and make sure to attempt to flash the correct BIOS.

I haven't tried this recently but it did work for me some months ago so I presume it would still work.
Message 207 of 285
bishoptf
Aspirant

Looking at upgrading my ultra 2 and getting a pro 6 from the bay to upgrade, is there a certain model, I know pro 6 but of the pro 6 models is there better ones to try to go after (or avoid). Is there a way to tell with the pictures if a version is a newer vs older version like the location of the display etc....

Thanks in advance 🙂
Message 208 of 285
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The ReadyNAS Pro 6 is the RNDP6000-200. It has "ReadyNAS" written at the bottom right on the front of the unit.
Message 209 of 285
bishoptf
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
The ReadyNAS Pro 6 is the RNDP6000-200. It has "ReadyNAS" written at the bottom right on the front of the unit.

Thanks for the usual quick reply, just reading through the threads it appears there are dofferent versions and I wasn't sure if the later ones were better then the older ones, so I thought I would ask. For example I see some with an LCD and some without, does it matter when wanting one to upgrade the CPU etc.
Message 210 of 285
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

All 6-bay units have a display on the front.

If you want to upgrade the CPU in a system running 4.2.x the best unit to get is a Pro 6. But you replace the CPU at your own risk.
Message 211 of 285
bishoptf
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
All 6-bay units have a display on the front.

If you want to upgrade the CPU in a system running 4.2.x the best unit to get is a Pro 6. But you replace the CPU at your own risk.

I am looking at pro 6, I understand the risks also, I have been upgrading hacking stuff for many moons. From the pictures when they are off it was hard to tell that the top piece was part of the display, I see that now.

I just enjoy doing stuff like that, I have the ultra 2 and thought it would be nice to have more bays and came across the CPU upgrade, I am wanting to run plex in the future and that would be a good fit if I can find one at the right price, I don't need many of the bells and whistles just something that is reliable running NFS to serve up my data. I may end up just staying with my ultra 2 and spooling up a vm to run plex on, I have a 16 core box that I fold on that I could fire up a VM but thought that this might be something fun to play with. 🙂
Message 212 of 285
interested
Tutor

I have one E7600 for sell.

50€ + delivery
Message 213 of 285
renedis
Aspirant

noadvertise wrote:
Hmm, ok well i answered my own question by checking the paths of ever hwmon2 and finding out they are file not found. Whereas all of the hwmon4 paths existed. So the answer is, swap out all hwmon2 for hwmon4. However, you can't just nano or vi the enclosure.db file. Doing so is what caused my odd fan 1 has failed message. I used an sqlite editor, scp'd the enclosure.db file down local, upon viewing the data, I found that its structure had a main list containing all the readynas models. I clicked my readynas model, edited the column "paths", replaced all hwmon2 with hwmon4, saved, and uploaded back to my nas, overwriting the old file (i of course made a backup first).

Once done, the readynas seems to be fully and properly functional now. No more errors and the "health" view properly displays everything.

If anyone gets stuck on this part, let me know, I'll up screenshots and more details.

I've changed all hwmon2 to hwmon4 in the enclosure.db.
The Fan fail message doesn't come back anymore but still does not display RPM's, although the status is green/OK
Sadly the voltage messages still occurs 😞
Message 214 of 285
renedis
Aspirant

I've got a lot of help through a TeamViewer session and it works now!
My NAS Pro Business is changed to a NAS Pro 6!
All temp/RPM readings work now!
Message 215 of 285
chirpa
Luminary

Anyone tried an E5620? I have a few around, curious if they would work.
Message 216 of 285
fastfwd
Virtuoso

chirpa wrote:
Anyone tried an E5620? I have a few around, curious if they would work.

The Pro's CPU socket has 755 contacts. Intel says the E5620 has 1366.
Message 217 of 285
chirpa
Luminary

Good catch. Shows how closely I looked at them heh.
Message 218 of 285
Campus
Apprentice

Just wanted to let you know that I was able to upgrade my Pro Business from the slow E2160 to a much faster E7600 (30EUR on ebay) as well. Especially VirtualBox running Zarafa runs much smoother after enabling all VT-x features but also SqueezeCenter is now so much more responsive. I can only recommend this incredible upgrade. Temperature is a little higher when having high load (59/48 vs. 58/38) but lower when idling (56/24 vs. 58/25). My UPS also expects a longer remaining runtime (93 min vs. 88 min) when idling.
Message 219 of 285
menkelis
Tutor

Thought this link might be useful
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Core_2_Duo/index.html
Message 220 of 285
Hibtek
Aspirant

ok, so I also upgraded a pro to an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7200 @ 2.53GHz with a small stop at an E6400, both work, ok but now the system health screen reports this

Device Description Status
Disk 1 Seagate ST31000528AS 931 GB , 36 C / 96 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 2 SAMSUNG HD103UJ 931 GB , 33 C / 91 F , Write-cache ON OK
Fan SYS 953 RPM OK
Fan CPU 2083 RPM OK
Temp SYS 54 C / 129 F [Normal 0-65 C / 32-149 F] OK
Temp CPU 16.5 C / 61 F [Normal 0-60 C / 32-140 F] OK
UPS 1 Not present

is a CPU temp of 17 correct?, the E2160 that was in there ran at 50-55 C

What do you use to create stress on the system?
Message 221 of 285
Campus
Apprentice

Seems to be quite low. My E7600 shows around 20.5C but that one runs at 3GHz. Are you sure you really had 50C for the E2160 cpu? Mine had an idle average of 25C.
Message 222 of 285
Hibtek
Aspirant

I'm pretty sure......although I am getting old now

this is my Ultra 6 + which is in the same room, this is a stock unit, running an E5300,................and I have just looked at that, because that was running at 52-57 and now is running at 30-31!

ok, I think I need more coffee.......and maybe an increase in the old medication!

Disk 1 Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 1863 GB , 40 C / 104 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 2 Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 1863 GB , 41 C / 105 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 3 Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 1863 GB , 37 C / 98 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 4 Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 1863 GB , 34 C / 93 F , Write-cache ON OK
Fan SYS 937 RPM OK
Fan CPU 2057 RPM OK
Temp SYS 58 C / 136 F [Normal 0-65 C / 32-149 F] OK
Temp CPU 31 C / 87 F [Normal 0-85 C / 32-185 F] OK
UPS 1 Not present NA

The Ultra 4 + is running about normal though

Disk 1 WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 1863 GB , 34 C / 93 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 2 WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 1863 GB , 35 C / 95 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 3 WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 1863 GB , 33 C / 91 F , Write-cache ON OK
Fan SYS 1800 RPM OK
Temp CPU 52 C / 125 F [Normal 0-80 C / 32-176 F] OK
Temp SYS 37 C / 98 F [Normal 0-65 C / 32-149 F] OK
UPS 1 Not present NA

Any idea how to create load on the cpu?
Message 223 of 285
fastfwd
Virtuoso

Hibtek wrote:
Any idea how to create load on the cpu?

Open one terminal window per CPU, and in each one type:
cat /dev/urandom > /dev/null
Message 224 of 285
Campus
Apprentice

I test my system by compiling my large code base which stress tests the system for about 30 minutes. In addition I downloaded the stress command line utility from https://github.com/cooljeanius/stress-1.0.4 which can also put some load on your cpu.
Message 225 of 285
Top Contributors
Announcements