× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

More on CPU specs of the ReadyNAS Pro

bzhpedro
Aspirant

Re: More on CPU specs of the ReadyNAS Pro

You just have to remove the clip system and put the screws instead.
I have already done that on another heatsink
Message 176 of 285
soremaniac
Aspirant

Okay Thanx 😄

Is a Org. Intel Fan better than the one that is "Build In" from Netgear?
Message 177 of 285
fbmachines
Guide

Is there a certain revision Q6600 that if likes better (SL9UM or SLACR)?

From what I read, the newer SLACR runs cooler so if it's compatible I'd like to run that one.

Also, for those running a Q6600 what cooler works the best without modding the case?

Thanks!
Message 178 of 285
soremaniac
Aspirant

fbmachines wrote:
Is there a certain revision Q6600 that if likes better (SL9UM or SLACR)?

Okay how i see the Difference, or where are they marked as "SLACR"?
Message 179 of 285
fbmachines
Guide

soremaniac wrote:

Okay how i see the Difference, or where are they marked as "SLACR"?

It's printed on the top CPU.

Also the SL9UM is a 105W chip and the SLACR is 95W.
Message 180 of 285
sander11
Aspirant

My what an interesting thread, as usual Chirpa makes me reassess my opinion of Ewoks, as I have an unfortunate prejudice since a nasty encounter in 1983.

I'm primarily interested in hardware virtualization and running as cool as possible to prolong the life the NAS/disks.

I'm not clear if the E6600 SL9ZL or E7400 SLGW3 would be better in this regard. I'm not running anything really cpu intensive (occasional spikes) I'm just hoping it will make my virtual machine more responsive.

TIA.
Message 181 of 285
fbmachines
Guide

I took the plunge and and popped an E7600 (SLGTD) in my main Pro6. I'm using the stock cooler and the idle & stressed temperatures seem to be identical to the original CPU. I used IC Diamond thermal paste. This was a beta Pro6 unit that was updated to the linked firmware. I'll pull the cover again to check board revision.

Plex transcoding is smooth as butter with everything I've thrown at it.

Best $45 upgrade IMHO.
Message 182 of 285
sander11
Aspirant

Me too. After more research I settled on the E7400 SLGW3. The CPU load on the NAS and VMs are incredibly low all the time and it is running a little cooler.

I was a little intimidated reading through the early parts of this thread, but it really was only 6 screws and some thermal paste. Pretty painless.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, there's no way I would have even considered this without all the research that came before.
Message 183 of 285
fbmachines
Guide

My Pro6 board is a FLAME6 v1.1.

Now that the IC Diamond paste has had a chance to cure, it looks like on average my E7600 runs 1-2 degrees Celsius cooler than the stock CPU.
Message 184 of 285
dbreiny1
Aspirant

I also took the plunge and and replaced the E5300 in a Pro 6 with an E7600 (SLGTD). I'm too an using the stock cooler and the idle as well as pegged at 100% (intentionally) temperatures seem to be really close to the stock CPU (even slightly cooler). I used Arctic Silver 5 heat sink compound as I have always had good luck with it in the past.

This really gave Plex new life. Even the screens while browsing are faster and more responsive, and anything that needs to be transcoded starts within a few seconds.

Very happy with the new CPU ($49.00).
Message 185 of 285
soremaniac
Aspirant

Choices of CPU's

I was looking on the new Intel ARK App for iPhone and iPad for CPU's and found These. They 1066MHz shut all work in the Pro.

http://ark.intel.com/
- E7600 / 3 MB / 3.06 GHz / 1066 MHz FSB bis E7200 / 3 MB / 2.53 GHz / 1066 MHz FSB
- E6700 / 4 MB / 2.66 GHz / 1066 MHz FSB bis E6600 / 4 MB / 2.40 GHz / 1066 MHz FSB
- Q6700 / 4 MB / 2.66 GHz / 1066 MHz FSB bis Q6600 / 8 MB / 2.40 GHz / 1066 MHz FSB
- X6800 / 4 MB / 2.93 GHz / 1066 MHz FSB
- QX6800 / 8 MB / 2.93 GHz / 1066 MHz FSB bis QX6700 / 8 MB / 2.66 GHz / 1066 MHz FSB

I tried the E7600, E6600, Q6600 and i am Shopping around for a X6800 and QX6800 (Hard to find).

And i also looking for These CPU's, QX9655 or the Q9550S to trie Out 🙂 i will Post my Feedback to them.
- QX9650 / 12 MB / 3.00 GHz / 1333 MHz FSB
- Q9450 / 12 MB / 2.66 GHz / 1333 MHz FSB
- Q9550S / 12MB / 2.83 GHz 1333 MHz FSB (just 65W!)
Message 186 of 285
dsm1212
Apprentice

In case you haven't read this whole thread, watch the power consumption on some of those. There is limited airflow in the box. That's why many of us settled on E7600. It actually seems to run a little cooler than the stock cpu.

steve
Message 187 of 285
soremaniac
Aspirant

yes thanks, until now these tree here E7600, E6600, Q6600 are runing cooler as the stock CPU with the Stock Fan. In my older Pro with the Q6600 makes some strange warings (i posted it earlyer in this thred). And yes thats why i whant to find out what is the best CPU (AirFlow vs Speed).

Mike
Message 188 of 285
karex
Aspirant

Hi Mike,
My Pro with the Q6600 makes warnings too. Do you have some solution? Thanks, Karel
Message 189 of 285
soremaniac
Aspirant

karex wrote:
Hi Mike,
My Pro with the Q6600 makes warnings too. Do you have some solution? Thanks, Karel

is it like these here?
https://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=29284&start=150#p387419

Than you have to do this (like chirpa says):
https://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=29284&start=150#p387444
chirpa wrote:
On boot up, RAIDiator firmware looks at the system type, and builds a layout for monitor_enclosure (health check program, adjusts fans, sends alerts). Easiest way to deal with your logs is to modify that layout (saved in ramdisk) and restart moitor_enclosure. I haven't tested this out, but it should hopefully work, maybe needing a few tweaks:

# cat /etc/rc2.d/S02readynas_enclosure
#!/bin/bash
sed '/^vol/d' /ramfs/enclosure.cfg > /tmp/enc.$$$
mv /tmp/enc.$$$ /ramfs/enclosure.cfg
killall monitor_enclosure
sleep 1
/frontview/bin/monitor_enclosure
This removes the voltage lines from the layout, then restarts the service. So it won't know to read the voltages, causing logs/email alerts. If you look at /ramfs/enclosure.cfg, you can also see references for the temp/fan sensors.

I had to do a similar boot script for my retro-fitted Repertoire. I replaced the Sparc board with x86 (Ultra4 board). Since the Repertoire chassis has no fans, the system would complain that the fan has failed. The script I used there would tell the system there was no fans to monitor (over the default Ultra4 layout), so no more alerts would occur.

Hope that helped
Mike
Message 190 of 285
kboudre
Aspirant

Just upgraded my first edition Readynas business edition to a E6700 SL9ZF without any issues. Thanks for the helpfully advise.
Message 191 of 285
DavidtHulin
Aspirant

I feel like I owe this thread my results:

I have a "new" Pro and upgraded to Q6600 SLACR. Used from eBay. At the same time I upgraded the CPU-cooling to a Dynatron P199 - this cooler fits vertically, the only issue I can imagine is that some condensators on the mobo would in some cases hinder a snug fit - but not in my case. The P199 should be able to handle 130W, so I tried first with a QX6700 - it didn't even start. It handles the 95W of the SLACR @ <50%. It hovers between 48-51C.

Two points:
Firstly, apparently this fan is loud. I don't care. The RNS is in a closet next to a noisy switch.
Secondly, I am now able to transcode 3 1080 videos and stream them at the same time. This is the only performance I measure.

David
Message 192 of 285
StephenB
Guru

Thanks for sharing!
Message 193 of 285
noadvertise
Tutor

wow, great thread with lots of great info!

I bought the RNDP600E when it first came out, but then had it replaced just a year or two ago due to a hardware failure, the tech support said something about it being "a later revision". I have the bios upgrade that was previous mentioned:
before 10/03/2008 FLAME6-MB V1.6
after 07/26/2010 FLAME6-MB V2.0

And I had previously upgraded the ram to 4gb as I thought at the time that was the limit.

I really need better video transcoding speeds out of this box, so I want to upgrade the CPU. I'm less concerned about the cost of upgrade and more about maxing it out in one order. I will have to ship from usa to central america, wait long times and pay big taxes and shipping fees, so I want to be sure I get everything I need in one go. There won't be room for "returning" anything.

All that being said, I get a little confused to the terminology used throughout this thread. Some people mention Readynas 6 while others speak of Pro 6. The differences in the terms used has left me a little lost on what has been confirmed working for RNDP600E "later revision".

So far, I understand that E7600 3.06ghz works with default fans/heatsink?
But the Q6700 is the better choice for transcoding, but needs alternate cooling solutions and a firmware hack to fix the error messages?

I am understanding cooling solutions are hard to find due to lack of space around CPU and between CPU and case? Is there a determined dimension that always works?

Would something like this be viable?
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Cooling-Heatsink-Radiator/dp/B009SJR3GS

I like Gelid fans, they are super quiet, dust-proof, and have an interesting patented nanoflux bearing, so I was also thinking about getting these two:
CPU Fan/Sink: http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/index.php?lid=1&cid=8&id=104
System Fan: http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/index.php?lid=1&cid=2&id=35

Also wondering if my system can handle 8gb ram as was hinted at in this thread.

Any pro out there can help me conclude?
Message 194 of 285
chirpa
Luminary

Yes, you can upgrade it to 8GB RAM.
Message 195 of 285
noadvertise
Tutor

chirpa wrote:
Yes, you can upgrade it to 8GB RAM.

sweet, thanks for the info chirpa! do i need to stick with the slower 800mhz ddr2 or can i go with 1066 DDR2 - i read something about a problem with cooling when faster ram is installed.
Message 196 of 285
Squazz
Aspirant

I'm SO SORRY if I catually post a question that have already been answered in this topic. But I searched the topic, and have read most of the pages, and I really couldn't find anything concrete about my system (ReadyNas Pro 4; Model RNDU4000). I don't know if this is the first or the second gen ReadyNas Pro, but I'm pretty sure it's running an intel Atom processor, and that it's having 1Gb SO-DIMM DDR2 RAM.
Is there a way to find out exactly what hardware my NAS is using?

Furthermore, I was wondering if I would be so lucky that I would be able to run a E6700 or a Q6600 in my NAS? Anyone knowing something here? 🙂
Message 197 of 285
dsm1212
Apprentice

I'm not sure what the upgrade options are for an Atom processor, but it won't be the E6700 or Q6600. It would be an updated Atom processor if any. Might want to start a separate topic since you are right that all the discussion here for processor upgrades was about the Pro 6. If you have SSH access there are utilities you can install to print out some info about the system, but there is also a nice NASMON addon you might want to look at which shows a fair amount of info. I think that requires the PHP addon.

steve
Message 198 of 285
Squazz
Aspirant

dsm1212 wrote:
I'm not sure what the upgrade options are for an Atom processor, but it won't be the E6700 or Q6600. It would be an updated Atom processor if any. Might want to start a separate topic since you are right that all the discussion here for processor upgrades was about the Pro 6. If you have SSH access there are utilities you can install to print out some info about the system, but there is also a nice NASMON addon you might want to look at which shows a fair amount of info. I think that requires the PHP addon.

steve

I might create a new topic then, thanks for your input 🙂

Edit: Thread for Pro 4 can be found here: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=71148
Message 199 of 285
chirpa
Luminary

Pro/Ultra 2/4 cannot have their CPU upgraded, it is soldered to the board.
Message 200 of 285
Top Contributors
Announcements