× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My LAMP hits 'glass ceiling'.

BaJohn
Virtuoso

My LAMP hits 'glass ceiling'.

I've been looking into the workings of and updating of the LAMP packages.
Using the standard updating facilities (apt-get, aptitude, dselect)
this is the current version status on my ReadyNAS.

ReadyNAS OS  6.4.2
Linux  .............. 4.1.16
Apache  .......... 2.2.31
MySQL  .......... 5.5.47
PHP  ............... 5.4.45
PHPMyAdmin . 4.0.4.1

A 'glass ceiling' has been reached in that the above LAMP packages are uptodate,
as defined in the "source list" for OS 6.4.2.
Obviously I am not intending to update the OS or Linux to a later version,
but Apache, MySQL, PHP and PHPMyAdmin seem like fair game.
Some of these are 3, 4 or more versions behind the current latest available.
(i.e. PHP is up to 7.0.3)

My question is simple:-

Is it sensible to break through the 'glass ceiling' by downloading individual
packages and installing independant of the "source list"?

Or do we have to wait for the next ReadyNAS OD version and hope that they
are included in the standard package?
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: My LAMP hits 'glass ceiling'.

Attempting to update apache to a newer version would likely break it, I would think. Updating PHP may break some of the available apps. Not sure on the other packages.

In the future we might do some updates that may be relevant to what you are after, but I don't have a timeline on that. Certainly not in the imminent future.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could download the VM and try installing them in that and see if they break the VM or not. If they work fine in the VM then it might be O.K. to install them on your NAS.

You do need to be careful not to store too much on the OS partition.

Message 2 of 6
BaJohn
Virtuoso

@mdgm wrote:

You could download the VM and try installing them in that and see if they break the VM or not. If they work fine in the VM then it might be O.K. to install them on your NAS.

You do need to be careful not to store too much on the OS partition.

I think I will pass on downloading the VM onto the NASS. Sounds simple and easy, BUT I have only just got my WordPress on LAMP working correctly after several days and I have a lot of work to do on my new Themes etc. Technically installing LAMP and WordPress could take 30 minutes to an hour.

Actually I quite expected you to say 'Not recommended' to go through the 'glass ceiling', owing to compatibility problems.

Can you tell me (& others) when the next ReadyNAS OS version is due out, and whether it will include an update to the LAMP elements as part of the base install?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@BaJohn wrote:

I think I will pass on downloading the VM onto the NAS...

I think you mis-understood,

You load the VM onto your PC, and then use the VM to test your your updates.  Then you have assurance that they work as expected when you install them on the real machine.

Message 4 of 6
BaJohn
Virtuoso

@StephenB wrote:

@BaJohn wrote:

I think I will pass on downloading the VM onto the NAS...

I think you mis-understood,

You load the VM onto your PC, and then use the VM to test your your updates.  Then you have assurance that they work as expected when you install them on the real machine.

Ooops ... yep misunderstood that.

I suspect that a project to do that (for me) may be a bit too much work at the present time ... have just discovered that my WordPress problem is only 'half fixed' so am returning to that.

Thanks guys, I understand the concepts, but I will live with the 'out of date' versions for the time being.

I would still like an answer about the future ReadyNAS OS release.

Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Attempting to update apache to a newer version would likely break it, I would think. Updating PHP may break some of the available apps. Not sure on the other packages.

In the future we might do some updates that may be relevant to what you are after, but I don't have a timeline on that. Certainly not in the imminent future.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements