× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAS 212 - Firmware Update and User Interface Issues (UI)

SH121VK
Aspirant

NAS 212 - Firmware Update and User Interface Issues (UI)

Need help recovering data after failed firmware upgrade! I made huge rookie mistake by making couple assumptions that turned out to be completely inaccurate. After failed firmware upgrade 6.10.2 I was forced to complete factory restore of my NAS 212 which reverted my NAS back to factory defaults and deleted all data on both drives. Since I had two drives setup in RAID 1, I wrongly assumed that second drive wouldn't get formatted during factory reset since it is backup drive. I also didn't create another backup since I was running RAID1 and felt that I already had redundancy. If I still have to pay Google or Microsoft to back up my backup then there is no point owning a NAS. As you can see what looked like "common sense" to me appeared to be too much to ask from Netgear. Anyway, the reason why I am here is to see if anyone has figured out way to recover data after the factory reset. Maybe some third-party application?
PS. Since I am in complaining mode already... Netgear is got to have one of the most closed and unfriendly user interfaces I have ever used. Example: Try following instructions to reset their NAS, you will be "flying completely blind" and praying for the best. If you have ever used other NAS products or FreeNAS... Netgear interface will feel like going back to 1991-1995.
Any suggestions regarding recovering my data is greatly appreciated?
Thank you!

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: NAS 212 - Firmware Update and User Interface Issues (UI)

@SH121VK wrote:

I wrongly assumed that second drive wouldn't get formatted during factory reset since it is backup drive.

With RAID-1 the two disks are always mirrored - anything written to the first drive is automatically mirrored to the second.  So it is fundamentally wrong to think about the second drive as a backup.  Note that's standard RAID stuff, not specific to Netgear.

@SH121VK wrote:

Anyway, the reason why I am here is to see if anyone has figured out way to recover data after the factory reset. Maybe some third-party application?

Any suggestions regarding recovering my data is greatly appreciated?

Unfortunately the odds of recovery aren't good - both drives were reformatted when you did the factory default.  You could try ReclaiMe ( https://www.reclaime.com/ ).  That would require putting one of the drives in a Windows PC.  You would be able to see what ReclaiMe finds on the drive prior to purchase.

If you are familiar with ssh, you could also try the "dry run" option in btrfs restore, and see if can find anything in the new data volume. https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Restore

Message 2 of 3
SH121VK
Aspirant

Re: NAS 212 - Firmware Update and User Interface Issues (UI)

Thank you for trying to help! After doing some research I realized that there was a huge number of options to recover data before the factory reset. After the reset... all those options were pretty much gone. Huge mistake on my part! I will try your recommendation but at this point I don't have much hope. GBs of photos, memories ... all gone! This is one lesson I will never forget!
Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements