× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NAS Ready NV+ mainboard fried

TanTran
Aspirant

NAS Ready NV+ mainboard fried

Hi all,

My ReadyNAS NV+ mainboard is fried. It has 4 x 1TB disks in RAID5 and I don't have external backup.

Can I purchase a replacement model and insert 4 x disks into the replacement and able to access existing data?

Thank you

TanTran

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+, RND4410v1|READYNAS NV+ v1 (4TB: 4 X 1TB)|EOL
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@TanTran wrote:

Can I purchase a replacement model and insert 4 x disks into the replacement and able to access existing data?

A new ReadyNAS uses a different file system and processor, so you can't directly migrate the disks.  With the help of paid Netgear support, you can temporarily mount them in the replacement so you can offload the data.  They probably will charge.  There is more information here here: https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA...

You could migrate the disks directly to another (used) NV+ v1.  Though it would be old (since Netgear discontinued it back in 2011), so it likely wouldn't last that long.

You could also purchase a 4-bay sata enclosure, connect it to a PC, and put your NV+ disks in there.  You could then use RAID recovery software to access the data (for instance https://www.r-studio.com/ ).  If the PC runs linux you could instead directly mount the RAID array - if you want to do that, we can provide detailed instructions.

An RN210 model (RN212 or RN214) is a reasonable replacement for the NV+ v1 - with more features, more capacity, and much higher performance.  Though you might also want to look at the x86 ReadyNAS (for instance the RN420 models).  

Message 2 of 6
TanTran
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,
Please share details instruction for Linux.
Thank you,
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

The info below is old, but should still work.

Mounting Sparc-based ReadyNAS Drives in x86-based Linux
By dbott | October 17, 2009
Update – Thanks to Peter Schlesinger in the comments section below:
Simple step by step guide to mounting Sparc-based ReadyNAS Drives in x86-based Linux:
Tested on brand new install of Ubuntu 10.10 (32bit x86), no other dependencies- 23rd Jan 2011
In a terminal window:
(1) sudo su
(2) apt-get install fuseext2
(3) apt-get install lvm2
(4) modprobe fuse
(5) vgscan
(6) vgchange -ay c
(7) fuseext2 -o ro -o sync_read /dev/c/c /mnt
That’s it!!!
You can now see the mounted files in the /mnt directory
(NB: Without the “-o sync_read” option to fuseext2 I had problems with copying large files. 
It kept saying the source file wasn’t found. After adding this option everything worked fine).
Message 4 of 6
TanTran
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

Thank you for the instruction.

Works like champ.

TT

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru