× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NETGEAR ReadyNAS RN526X00 and two hyperV host

luukee
Aspirant

NETGEAR ReadyNAS RN526X00 and two hyperV host

sorry for the newb question, but i have two hyper v host (workgroup) and I wanted to present a LUN to both of them.  I was able to connect to both host to that LUN, but one shows online (the host that i formmated the LUN with) and the other shows offline.  

So my question is, is it possible to have both hyperV host see the same LUN active? 

if not, how do i make that LUN nonacive LUN active without formatted the LUN? (if the case was that the hyperv host1 dies, and i need the second hyperv host to take over the VMs in that LUN).

Second question is that it seems that only a readydata NAS will be able to replicated LUNs to another ready data.

I have two of these RN52xx readynas, and just trying to figure out best way to backup the first one to the second one including the LUNS.  Sounds like rsync doesn't support LUNs.

thank so much for the help

Model: RN526X|ReadyNAS 526X – 6 Bays with up to 60TB total storage
Message 1 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

I don't know if it's possible to have one LUN active for two VMs, but it is certainly a very bad idea.  How is one VM going to know what the other is doing with what is basically a virtual drive?  Unlike a share, where the NAS sorts all that out, a LUN is just a block of storage and the user must do all that.

LUN replication is done with ReadyDR.  Since it's just a block of space, file-based backups won't work.  But ReadyDR works differently.

Message 2 of 7
luukee
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, but then how does live migration work?

wouldn't two host need to be aware of the LUN in order for the VM to move from one host to another?

In the vmware world, they have vsphere and they use data stores?  how does hyperV do it?

thanks

Message 3 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

That's a HyperV question, not a ReadyNAS one.  I use VirtualBox, not HyperV for VM's, so can't help with that one, but this appears it may be of help: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/vmm/hyper-v-storage?view=sc-vmm-2019 

Message 4 of 7
luukee
Aspirant

Thank you very much for that.

Can i pick your brain further?  In a case where you might have hardware failure on the readynas, what would you do? Assuming you were running your Vbox VMs from there.

thanks again for the tips 

Message 5 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

I use virtual disk files (.vhd) in a normal share instead of iSCSI, so I would simply unmount the old file and mount the file on my backup in it's place.  I don't host any VMs on the NAS, so I don't need to worry about losing the VM itself at the same time, but it would be easy enough to create a new VM that mounts the backup virtual disk.

Using virtual disks means a normal file-based backup does work.  They are likely a little slower, though.

If you are using iSCSI, then you would have to clone the ReadyDR snapshot on your backup NAS to a usable iSCSI share, and substitute that for the old one.  How you do the substitution in HyperV, I don't know.

Message 6 of 7
luukee
Aspirant

thanks Sandshark, i guess my problem with using a share, is that if you log off, the share is no longer there.  And i guess with a share, the HyperV Manager doesn't see it, and doesn't allow you to do anything with a share.  I thought i may have seen a live motion article somewhere for hyper-v core in workgroups.  Will keep looking, as you've said it's really a Hyper V problem.  thanks again for the tips.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements