× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need help for shared permission and dual redundancy

sylvainp
Aspirant

Need help for shared permission and dual redundancy

Hi all, I have been using my ReadyNAS Pro (6 bays) for many years and upgrade (CPU, Memory, and OS) Now using OS 6.xx

Recently I lost all my volume (all red) probably a corrupt system files or Netdata screw something because after a reboot this happen.

I have all my files backup to an external USB drive connect to the NAS. So I factory reset and start from scratch. At the moment I use 3 x 3TB drives (X-Raid 5 mode) and I have 2 spares drives. I wanted to use dual redundancy with 4 drives but I never got the option

when I factory default. Can I change to dual redundancy from a X-RAID 5 mode without restart everything ?

Another issue with Shared folder permission. I have 1 PC which I use as Admin rights and have a NUC, media player, Roon to access music on the NAS. For many years I use Genie Timeline Pro to backup my files and documents. The backup times are slow and I found the restore not reliable and I lost some files because the software couldn't restore it. So I look for a backup software alternative and I end up with AOMEI Backupper Pro on sale.

When I create my shared folder on the NAS I select SMB (not legacy mode or SMB 1.0) and all users for permission but by default (anonymous to access shared folder) is enable. So I deactivate (anonymous access). For a reason AOMEI Backupper cannot write to my Shared folder "Backup" but what is strange I can access and write to the shared folder "backup" with the PC.

The only way I can make backup with AOMEI Backupper is if I set the permission to "anonymous can access shared folder"

All Users as permission don't work. If I remember I didn't have this issue with Genie Timeline Pro.

What could cause the backup software to not have access and write on my shared folder if the anonymous access is not enable ?

Is there a security issue by using the anonymous user to access my shared folders ?

Thank you

Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: Need help for shared permission and dual redundancy

@sylvainp wrote:

What could cause the backup software to not have access and write on my shared folder if the anonymous access is not enable ?

It sounds like the backup software is giving the NAS a username that doesn't exist on the NAS.

@sylvainp wrote:

Can I change to dual redundancy from a X-RAID 5 mode without restart everything ?

If you switch to flexraid you should be able to add a disk for redundancy.

Message 2 of 8
sylvainp
Aspirant

When I try to execute the backup I have a prompt to enter username and password.

So I enter "Admin" and my password : The same I use to access the NAS Admin Page.

This software only work in anonymous access which I don't want to use.

Message 3 of 8
sylvainp
Aspirant

Looks like I need to use SMB Legacy Windows Discovery to make it work. I think this is SMB 1.0 compatibility mode.

I read some concern about using SMB 1.0  is vulnerable for privacy and security issue.

Very strange this software need the SMB Legacy Windows Discovery to work.

Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@sylvainp wrote:

Looks like I need to use SMB Legacy Windows Discovery to make it work. I think this is SMB 1.0 compatibility mode.

Very strange this software need the SMB Legacy Windows Discovery to work.

OS 6 supports SMB 3.  Are you connecting using the NAS hostname, or are you using the IP address?

Is the NAS admin password still set to the default value of password?

Message 5 of 8
sylvainp
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

OS 6 supports SMB 3.  Are you connecting using the NAS hostname, or are you using the IP address?

I have tried both IP and NAS Hostname. Both work when I use the SMB Legacy Windows Discovery

No I change the password

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@sylvainp wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

I have tried both IP and NAS Hostname. Both work when I use the SMB Legacy Windows Discovery

No I change the password

I am thinking this must be something unusual that the backup tool is doing.  Are you seeing similar behavior with other applications?  FreeFileSync is another backup tool you could do a test with (https://freefilesync.org/).

Message 7 of 8
sylvainp
Aspirant

Well I finally get a refund for AOMEI and today I just purchase Acronis True Image 2021 (perpetual license) not the yearly subscription.

This software backup work the very first time without issue and it's easy to use.

I just miss the File sync features that AOMEI had (but not working).

I will check the filesync you suggest. This could be good for some task.

Thank you

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements