× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear ReadyNAS Surveillance

DGCMartin
Tutor

Netgear ReadyNAS Surveillance

Hi,

I have a ReadyNAS 316 and have installed the Netgear ReadyNAS Surveillance App Firmware Version: 1.4.3  which I am keen to make use of. It has commenced a 30 day trial period and requires a licence.

I approach the vendor I purchased the NAS from who advised that the licences are an 'end of life product' so I cannot obtain them. 

The Netgear app looks very suitable for my purpose. I expect to use 8 cameras. Is it possible for me to use the Netgear ReadyNAS Surveillance app? 

Message 1 of 14
yoban
Apprentice

Re: Netgear ReadyNAS Surveillance

@DGCMartin wrote:

I approach the vendor I purchased the NAS from who advised that the licences are an 'end of life product' so I cannot obtain them. 

Not wanting to go off topic, but you comment about EOL for the current surveillance app is an interesting statement of which the partnership with Milestone and their product Arcus would seem to imply this too. Especially when you consider the difference in application capability.

I hope someone at Netgear can confirm/deny this for @DGCMartin and all other users of Surveillance App and if true what is the upgrade path for licensed users as the Milestone license model is considerably different.

Message 2 of 14
yoban
Apprentice

@DGCMartin wrote:

...I approach the vendor I purchased the NAS from who advised that the licences are an 'end of life product' so I cannot obtain them.... 

Not wanting to go off topic, but you comment about EOL for the current surveillance app is an interesting statement of which the partnership with Milestone and their product Arcus would seem to imply this too. Especially when you consider the difference in application capability.

I hope someone at Netgear can confirm/deny this for @DGCMartin and all other users of Surveillance App and if true what is the upgrade path for licensed users as the Milestone license model is considerably different.

[Sorry repost as previous got lost in formating]

Message 3 of 14
DGCMartin
Tutor

I have also tried to explore licences for Milestone Arcus following the links provided in the ReadyNAS app which I have also installed. The links lead to the email address sales@netgear.com for licence enquiries. So far (4 days) .... no response. For a product that looks so promising, its hard to understand how difficult it seems to be to purchase it.

Does anyone know of  other surveillance software which can run on the ReadyNAS?

Message 4 of 14
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DGCMartin,

ReadyNAS Surveillance is already discontinued and it was already replaced by Milestone Arcus. The Milestone Arcus is supported for the ReadyNAS that is running on OS 6.8 or higher. For more information, you can also visit this link. You may also contact support for presales inquiry.

For the license purchase, you may purchase them from our authorized resellers.

Regards,
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 14
yoban
Apprentice

@JohnCM_S wrote:

Hi DGCMartin,

ReadyNAS Surveillance is already discontinued and it was already replaced by Milestone Arcus. 

Thanks for that @JohnCM_S!

I had a sneaky suspicion that may have been the case - even though I have heard nothing in my part of the world. Would have thought this Press Release Sept 2017 could have been emailed to all licensed Netgear Surveillance users.

Do you have an idea if there is the plan to offer existing ReadyNAS Surveillance users an upgrade/migration path to Milestone Arcus? The renewal license model of Arcus is quite different to the existing model.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 14
yoban
Apprentice

@JohnCM_S is there a definitive statement from Netgear on the end of life/dicontinued status of Readynas Surveillance?

It woud seem that licenses are still being sold on Amazon - Readynas Surveillance Licenses

Message 7 of 14
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi yoban,

Unfortunately, there is no migration or upgrade path for the licensed users of Surveillance to Milestone Arcus and I doubt if there will be any plan as well in the future.

Currently, there is no definitive statement yet about the Surveillance but we have received the information that Surveillance will no longer be available for purchase.

Regards,
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 14
yoban
Apprentice

@JohnCM_S wrote:

Hi yoban,

Unfortunately, there is no migration or upgrade path for the licensed users of Surveillance to Milestone Arcus and I doubt if there will be any plan as well in the future.

Currently, there is no definitive statement yet about the Surveillance but we have received the information that Surveillance will no longer be available for purchase.

Regards,
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Community Team

Thanks for the @JohnCM_S and sorry if I have hijacked your post @DGCMartin - sure hope not, and we are still on topic.

Shame to hear the likelihood of an upgrade path is slim...fingers crossed though.

@JohnCM_S wrote:

Do look forward to the official announcement of EOL as this may spark the need for existing license holders to have an upgrade/migration path...but not holding my breath

As @DGCMartin has stated about his difficulty in getting help/support from the likes of Sales etc. - do you have any reading material explaining how the 5-year license model works? Does application just stop? or is it support/upgrades stop? Cannot find much online.

I see WD offer 2-camera free license after the 30day trial period for certain products - maybe Netgear could also consider that as it woudl seem competitors are ahead of Netgear in this space....

Thanks!

Message 9 of 14
DGCMartin
Tutor

Thanks for your help JohnCM_S.

Are you able to confirm that Milestone Arcus on ReadyNAS is supported internationally?

I'm in New Zealand and local resellers, Netgear and Milestone here all seem to be in the dark on supply of the licences. I can find some supply options online but none of them supply to NZ.

Can I have the licence key supplied electronically?

Message 10 of 14
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do look forward to the official announcement of EOL as this may spark the need for existing license holders to have an upgrade/migration path...but not holding my breath

As @DGCMartin has stated about his difficulty in getting help/support from the likes of Sales etc. - do you have any reading material explaining how the 5-year license model works? Does application just stop? or is it support/upgrades stop? Cannot find much online.

I see WD offer 2-camera free license after the 30day trial period for certain products - maybe Netgear could also consider that as it woudl seem competitors are ahead of Netgear in this space....

@yoban

the license pertains on how many cameras you can add to your Milestone Arcus account.  A camera license is required to record video captured from the connected IP surveillance cameras. You may check page 17-18 of the manual for more information regarding this. Here is the link:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/ReadyNAS-Arcus/MilestoneArcus_UM_EN.pdf

The application supports 2 cameras for free for a trial period of 60 days.

Thanks for your help JohnCM_S.

Are you able to confirm that Milestone Arcus on ReadyNAS is supported internationally?

I'm in New Zealand and local resellers, Netgear and Milestone here all seem to be in the dark on supply of the licences. I can find some supply options online but none of them supply to NZ.

Can I have the licence key supplied electronically?

@DGCMartin

The Milestone Arcus is supported internationally. The license should be available from our authorized resellers and I believe the resellers can provide it to you electronically. 

Message 11 of 14
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

Hi all,

Sorry for the confusion. 

We extended the sale of ReadyNAS Surveillance licenses to meet the requirements of customers who are still wanting to add a few cameras to their existing ReadyNAS Surveillance.  We will be putting a hard stop on selling that product very soon. 

We are transitioning to "Milestone Arcus on ReadyNAS", a far better product with a significantly larger list of compatible IP cameras.

One more word of caution.  Milestone Arcus on ReadyNAS is not available on ReadyNAS 102, 104, 202, 204, 212, 214, 2120.  We concluded that, after extensive performance testing, these products (based on ARM architecture) would not give the adequate performance to support a SMB (8 cameras and above) surveillance environment.

Best regards,

Doug

Message 12 of 14
yoban
Apprentice

hi there

@douglas_cheung this is a good update so far.

We extended the sale of ReadyNAS Surveillance licenses to meet the requirements of customers who are still wanting to add a few cameras to their existing ReadyNAS Surveillance.  We will be putting a hard stop on selling that product very soon.

We are transitioning to "Milestone Arcus on ReadyNAS", a far better product with a significantly larger list of compatible IP cameras.

It will be good to get this formal announcement and what the path is for those wanting to migrate. Do think this is a good move by Netgear.

I currently run a ReadyNas 314 with 16Tb so should be in a good position to migrate.

@DGCMartin as a fellow NZL based user, I sourced my licenses from the local Netgear distributor http://online.exeed.co.nz/. Failing that you can try Martin at http://www.vitalit.co.nz/

@douglas_cheung are you able to shed any more clarity on the license model for Arcus - I have read about a 5-year license, rather than the current perpetual license per camera. Will the licensing remain the same as Surveillance - per camera for life?

Message 13 of 14
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

The Milestone Arcus license is a 5-year term license which entitles the user software updates and bug fixes during the five year period.  Beyond the five year period, software updates and bug fixes will cease.  The camera will continue to operate, as-is.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements