× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Syslog Server

darthy
Apprentice

Netgear Syslog Server

Hi, I just installed the Netgear Syslog Server on my ReadyNAS 314 but can't find any guides on how to send the ReadyNAS syslog events to the syslog server. If someone could point my in the right direction I would appreciate it. It sounds like I might need to enable SSH and run some commands to get this working but would prefer to avoid doing this if possible. Also read somewhere that logging in using SSH root can void support which is not ideal. Thanks.
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear Syslog Server

I'm really not convinced there's a good reason to run a syslog server on OS6. It is duplicating the function of the journal.
Message 2 of 6
chirpa
Luminary

The benefit is sending syslog events to a remote server. You can consolidate many systems into one event database. It also helps if you are being rooted/hacked, the bad guy can't just wipe the journal to cover his tracks.
Message 3 of 6
darthy
Apprentice

Hi, any advice on how to set this up would be appreciated.
Message 4 of 6
sergiomarina
Aspirant

Hi,
I'm also dealing with Syslog Server version 1.1.0 and every time I try to configure it I get the following message:
"Storage Settings Data was successfully updated!
But Server Could Not Be Started !!"
Could somebody help me here?

thx&brgrds!
Message 5 of 6
jbernardo
Apprentice

Since ReadyNAS is running systemd, you are out of luck with syslog. Systemd uses it's own binary logging format. I've been told that there is a way to configure systemd to also forward the logs to syslog, so you might be able to do something if you enable ssh and start messing with systemd configuration.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements