× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OwnCloud 6.0.4

WhoCares_
Mentor

OwnCloud 8.0.4

ownCloud[/sizde]

• Description
      ownCloud> is a flexible, open source file sync and share solution. Whether using a mobile device, a workstation, or a web client, ownCloud provides the ability to put the right files at the user's fingertips on any device in one simple-to-use, secure, private and controlled solution.

• Requirements:
        • ReadyNAS Platform: ARM

• ReadyNAS Firmware: RAIDiator 5.3.5 or newer

• Requires:
      • PHP 5.4: For this add-on to work, the PHP 5.4 add-on has to be installed first!

• Configuration
    After installation of the add-on, open the add-on's pane from the list of installed add-ons and click on the "Access you ownCloud" link. You will be redirected to your ownCloud installation.

if you're asked to login, use admin as your username. The default password after initial installation is netgear1.

For further configuration options please consult the OwnCloud Online Documentation.
Message 1 of 36
WhoCares_
Mentor

Re: OwnCloud 6.0.1

Updated to ownCloud 6.0.1
Message 2 of 36
WhoCares_
Mentor

Re: OwnCloud 6.0.3

Updated to ownCloud 6.0.3
Message 3 of 36
WhoCares_
Mentor

Re: OwnCloud 6.0.4

Updated to ownCloud 6.0.4
Message 4 of 36
WhoCares_
Mentor

Re: OwnCloud 7.0.2

Updated to ownCloud 7.0.2
Message 5 of 36
WhoCares_
Mentor

Re: OwnCloud 7.0.3

Updated to ownCloud 7.0.3
Message 6 of 36
WhoCares_
Mentor

Re: OwnCloud 8.0.0

Updated to ownCloud 8.0.0
Message 7 of 36
WhoCares_
Mentor

Re: OwnCloud 8.0.2

Updated to ownCloud 8.0.2
Message 8 of 36
WhoCares_
Mentor

Re: OwnCloud 8.0.3

Updated to ownCloud 8.0.3
Message 9 of 36
WhoCares_
Mentor

Re: OwnCloud 8.0.4

Updated to ownCloud 8.0.4
Message 10 of 36
Forage
Aspirant

Thanks for creating these add-ons and still maintaining them for pre R6 systems.

I'm a bit confused about one thing with this add-on though and since this post is out-of-sync with your website I think it would be good to clear it up.

This post talks about the requirement of the PHP add-on for ownCloud 8.0.4. In the post about the R6 version this is not mentioned for ownCloud 8.1.0.

Both pages on your website for R5 with OC 8.1.0 and R6 with OC 8.1.0 don't mention this requirement either.

ownCloud will need PHP no matter what. Did the add-on requirement drop for a post R5 OC 8.0.4 release because it got included or is it still required for all versions?

Message 11 of 36
WhoCares_
Mentor

On RNOS4 and RNOS5 the version of PHP "shipping" with the base OS isn't recent enough to run OwnCloud > version 5 or 6 I think. Thus on either RNOS4 or RNOS5 system you need to install the separate PHP add-on. On RNOS6 however the version of PHP is recent enough to run OwnCloud (at least for now) so the add-on just pulls the required PHP packages onto the system during installation. Thus no need for a separate PHP add-on on ReadyNAS OS 6. And yes, I'm aware that there is a PHP add-on available for RNOS6 but it is generally not needed to run any app - if the app has defined it's requirements properly.

That said, on RNOS4 and RNOS5 there is no system for add-ons/apps to request needed packages and have them pulled in during install. Thus the OwnCloud add-on will check for the presence of a matching PHP add-on while installing on those systems and report a missing PHP add-on to the user and abort installation. So essentially there's no "need" to specify the requirement on the R4/R5 add-on pages, which are mostly auto-generated anyway. But I agree that it would be nice so I may add those statements if I find the time. The thing is that I prefer building add-ons over writing/editing posts, so I tend to forget to make these documentatiion updates 😉

-Stefan

Message 12 of 36
Forage
Aspirant

The following curl issue occurs when trying to get an add-on list: https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/19127

Does that happen to you as well or did you manage to fix it somehow?

Message 13 of 36
HansBKK
Aspirant

Thanks so much for building/maintaining these addons!

Any chance on getting us to an updated v9 anytime soon? Would be greatly appreciated. . .
Message 14 of 36
agoodside
Aspirant

Ok. I have gone to rnxtras and purchased the latest update. I won;t install neither will the previous v6? Any help appreciated otherwise sorely disappointed.

Message 15 of 36
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@agoodside wrote:

Ok. I have gone to rnxtras and purchased the latest update. I won;t install neither will the previous v6? Any help appreciated otherwise sorely disappointed.

For the RN104 you need apps for ReadyNAS OS6 (ARM). The OwnCloud app is the one deb for both platforms.

Which firmware are you running? Do you have any other apps installed? Have you tried reaching out to RNXtras/WhoCares? for assistance?

Message 16 of 36
agoodside
Aspirant

Hi mdgm,

thanks for the reply. It's a Radynas 104 OS 6.51 (arm).

No other apps. I went onto the RNxtras website but there is no conatct or support option.....

Message 17 of 36
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could try the Slack page: https://rnxtras.com/forums

Or perhaps PM WhoCares_ (this is the main developer for the RNXtras site and he posted earlier in this thread).

Message 18 of 36
agoodside
Aspirant

The forums are closed....

I PM'd WhoCares_; let's see what he says.

Is there an easy way to at least restore owncloud v6 = default? Even that won't install anymore....

Message 19 of 36
agoodside
Aspirant

Now I can install Owncloud v6 but it disappears once I refresh and cannot find it anymore???

Any help appreciated...

Message 20 of 36
dschwartzer
Luminary

I am fairly new to ReadyNASand am running an RN202 with OS 6.5.1.  I have seen the OwnCloud app in the Netgear app store but admittedly am confused why I would need this.  Isn't one of the reasons to have a ReadyNAS is to have your own cloud services?  I did look at the OwnCloud site and there appears to be a lot of apps available but on a basic level, could you explain why someone would use OwnCloud vs. just the readyNAS if all they want is remote access to their files?

Thanks,

David

Message 21 of 36
StephenB
Guru

If all you want is remote access, then you have basically two alternatives

-use port forwarding for ftps (or https) combined with ddns

-use OpenVPN combined with ddns

You can also use a variety of other tools that have additional features - generally sync and controlled sharing

-ReadyCloud

-OwnCloud

-Bittorent Sync

-Amazon Cloud sync

-plex (limited to media)

You can learn more about the OwnCloud features here: https://owncloud.org/features/

Personally I use OpenVPN for general remote access - that runs in my R8500 router.  Clients are installed on my mobile devices and laptop.

I've been playing with Bittorrent sync for some folders - one benefit is that it will transfer files in the background.  I'm not running it on my NAS though - I run it on a PC (with the NAS mapped to a drive letter).  

I also use plex, and allow family members access to my media.

Message 22 of 36
dschwartzer
Luminary

StephenB:

Thanks for the quick response.  I am already using Plex for media sharing.  I guess my question really is, what are the advantages of OwnCloud vs. ReadyCloud?

Regards,

David

Message 23 of 36
StephenB
Guru

@dschwartzer wrote:

I guess my question really is, what are the advantages of OwnCloud vs. ReadyCloud?

Since I'm not using either, it would be useful for other folks to chime in.  The main differences I see:

-ReadyCloud relies on Netgear cloud servers to maintain the VPN connection it uses.  Using it therefore means that you are trusting Netgear to maintain good security (and the speeds your get depend on loading on the Netgear servers).

-OwnCloud on the other hand only uses equipment that is fully under your control (though of course you are trusting the OwnCloud folks to keep up with security patches).

You can of course try both, and then decide which one works for you.  I suggest using @WhoCares_ version ( https://rnxtras.com/ ), even though there is a small charge.

Message 24 of 36
osilvab
Aspirant

Hi

i bought and downloaded the owncloud add-on ARM version from RNXtras.  have a Netgear ReadyNAS 102 firmware 6.6.0. When I try to install it I from the administration panel i get an error.

I tried instaling the PHP from RNXtras, that is a .bin file, but i didnt succedd to installed via SSH, im a bit newbie and i dont know how to install it:

apps# chmod +x PHP5_5.4.45-arm-1.bin

apps# ./PHP5_5.4.45-arm-1.bin
./PHP5_5.4.45-arm-1.bin: line 1: addon::name=PHP5,version=5.4.45-arm-1,time=1442682383,size=20684800,md5sum=88f4fa21060abbcf956eb85dd65dcbaa,unencrypted=1,skipreboot=1,api=1,arch=arm,min_raidiator_version=5.3.2,restartapache=0: command not found
./PHP5_5.4.45-arm-1.bin: line 2: install.sh0000644000000000000000000001142612577311040011562: command not found
awk: cannot open addons.conf (No such file or directory)

I tried with other versions of PHP from repositry and trying the add-on after but the same error:

"Cannot install application owncloud_9.1.1-rnx1_all.deb"

I tried other versions of the add-on but i didnt have any success.

any suggestion?

Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements