× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OwnCloud 9.1 WebDAV, Permissions and HTTP Issue

mike83cz
Follower

OwnCloud 9.1 WebDAV, Permissions and HTTP Issue

Hey everyone,

I installed lastest OwnCloud 9.1 on my Ready NAS (RN214,FW6.5.1). Not the Addon, but normally on the webserver using MySQL. So only apps installed are PHP, MySQL and phpMyAdmin. Port 80 is forwarded, it works. But I read 3 security notifications in OwnCloud administration. And I can't find anyting to help me.

1) Your web server is not yet set up properly to allow file synchronization because the WebDAV interface seems to be broken.

I set WebDAV enabled on folder setting in Share admin page, but still... Should I configure someting else?

2) Your data directory and your files are probably accessible from the Internet. The .htaccess file is not working. We strongly suggest that you configure your web server in a way that the data directory is no longer accessible or you move the data directory outside the web server document root.

Unfortunatelly I have no idea how to do that.

3) You are accessing this site via HTTP. We strongly suggest you configure your server to require using HTTPS instead as described in our security tips.

I'd like to. I followed security tips, but I did't got what exactly I have to do. HTTPS in ReadyNAS Services is enabled, but it takes no effect.

I'll be glad for any advice and sorry for my poor english

Thank you

Mike

Message 1 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: OwnCloud 9.1 WebDAV, Permissions and HTTP Issue

Hello mike83cz,

Welcome to the community!

Where did you get the add-on? Even if it is from the available apps, once installed, you need to check the configuration with the developer.

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
CharD
Aspirant

First of all. Please use Nextcloud instead of ownCloud. It is more secure and has more features.

1. You probalby should DISABLE Webdav in your settings. Because outerwise it collides with the WebDAV server that is part of Nextcloud

2. This measn that your apache doesn't allow to override some settings with a .htaccess file. You should check this documentation how to configure your apache: https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/9/admin_manual/installation/source_installation.html

3. You need an SSL cert. I recommend that you look into https://letsencrypt.org to get a cert and configure your apache.

I hope this helps 🙂 

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@CharD wrote:

First of all. Please use Nextcloud instead of ownCloud. It is more secure and has more features.

No real opinion on that, though the formation of NextCloud has undoubtedly done some financial damage to OwnCloud.  A bit of a mess I think.  https://owncloud.org/blog/owncloud-statement-concerning-the-formation-of-nextcloud-by-frank-karlitsc...

Message 4 of 6
ArchPrime
Guide

Hi - I am struggling to find a noob friendly way (or any way) to install Nextcloud on ReadyNAS.

How do I do it?  

Where would I find a supported NextCloud.deb file that I can upload using the official ReadyNAS apps manual install method?

Message 5 of 6
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ArchPrime,

I apologize about this but I do not have articles for the NextCloud. I think CharD placed a link for the setup. You could probably try check the NextCloud forum also.

Regards,

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements