× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OwnCloud external storage -- problem and work-around

Sandshark
Sensei

OwnCloud external storage -- problem and work-around

Running OS 6.1.1 on ReadyNAS Pro2 with OwnCloud app owncloud_9.1.3-rnx2_all.deb from RNXtras. 

I decided I wanted to mount a directory on another NAS as an external source,  I enabled the External Sources module in OwnCloud and set everything up for SMB access to the other NAS.  Got a "Green Light" on the settings and thought all was OK, but it failed to show any files when I accessed the directory.  There was a horribly long error message in the log that basically came down to "Can't access external share".  Googling told me that I might need php5-libsmbclient_0.7.0-10.2_amd64.deb, so i installed that.  Still no-go.  So I tried FTP.  Didn't even get the green light on that.  Yes the user name I was using has both SMB and FTP access, both verified outside of OwnCloud.

I remember seeing where the ReadyNAS does not support Active Mode FTP, and figured that could be the problem.  But I can't find a solution to use SMB or a good reason why it won't work.  The php5-libsmbclient (or it's equivalent for other distros) seemed to be the solution for everyone with non-NAS installations.  It may have something to do with the somewhat non-traditional install that keeps OwnCloud from filling the system partition.

But, I did find a work-around.  I created a symbolic link in /mnt and added an NFS mount of the link in fstab so it mounts at boot.  Then I created the external storage link in OwnCloud using "Local" mode to that symlink.  Voila, it worked!  I just wanted it to be read-only, so used the ro option in the NFS mount and admin credentials in OwnCloud, so I don't know what permissions might be needed if you want it read/write.  One time I rebooted and the directory was empty.  I suspect that the other NAS was in spin-down mode at the time and something timed out.  It would be nice if it all worked as it should directly from the OwnCloud GUI, but this is a work-around others can try if they need it until somebody figures out how to fix the problem with external SMB storage.

Message 1 of 3
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Sandshark,

Thank you for sharing your resolution and/or workaround. We appreciate your contribution to the community. 

Feel free to post any suggestions, questions, recommendations or anything about your NAS that you think needs attention or will help others.

Regards,

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Until I do some more investigating, label this "Use with extreme caution".  All of the files in the directory I shared suddently had their ownership changed (to 65534, whihc I believe to be unassigned), and I could not access them normally via SMB.  I'm assuming for now that this was the cause.

I changed the ownership to guest:guest and all is working via SMB to the host NAS and OwnCloud from the NAS where I mounted it, but that could change again (maybe on re-boot).  I also changed the ownership of the link target to guest:guest and maybe that will fix it.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements