× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Plex Media Server

Minkin
Aspirant

Plex Media Server

Netgear ReadyNAS 316 with 12TB (6x2TB = 9TB after configuring array).
Firmware is up to date at 6.10.3.

Current Plex Media Server (PMS) - Version 1.20.1.3252

Since installing this version I have had trouble with PMS. Something went wrong. It started to do things like it was a new install instead of an update.
Now it wants me to Claim the Server, but I cannot Claim the Server.
Also, I cannot update the server to the newest version 1.21.1.3842-b0c7a97d9 [Jan 4, 2021]

When I add shows, it used to update the client view automatically. Now I have to go to the computer/browser and tell it to sacn the library to update.
It won’t connect to the TV or Movie Databases. So I get no cover art or details about anything.
In the client view, I can watch the shows I have on the server. But the show’s icons are all a grey box and do not show the covers or update the episode information.

This worked for years.
Do I wipe the NAS and start fresh? is there a config file that needs to be deleted so the updated PMS can be installed?
I’m not handy with tech at this level. Plex was an easy solution for me. It installed and has updated easily for a very long time. Now that it’s down, I don’t have any experience to fix it. All assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
M–

Model: RN31662E|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay 6x2TB Enterprise Drive
Message 1 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Plex Media Server

@Minkin

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling PMS? A1.21.1.3876-3c3adfcb4

Message 2 of 7
Minkin
Aspirant

Hi Marc_V,

Yes I have tried reinstalling several times. Most recently I tried plexmediaserver_1.21.1.3842-b0c7a97d9_amd64.deb which I downloaded from Plex.tv. It's confusing to me to see amd64 when I have selected NetGear as the PMS. 

I have also tried to uninstall and that fails now too. 😞

I appreciate any thoughts or ideas how to proceed you may have.

Marc_M

Message 3 of 7
Minkin
Aspirant

Hi Marc,

I see there is a newer version. I downloaded it and tried again.

I got the message

Preparing Packages...
   Application plexmediaserver cannot be installed

That's it.

MM.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Minkin wrote:

It's confusing to me to see amd64 when I have selected NetGear as the PMS. 

This is standard linux naming.  AMD actually invented this 64 bit instruction set, although it is available now on both Intel and AMD processors.

@Minkin wrote:

I have also tried to uninstall and that fails now too. 😞

The plex forum might be a better place to pursue the claiming problem.

Are you uninstalling from the web ui, or from ssh?

Message 5 of 7
Minkin
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

I am installing from the web UI. I don't know anything about SSH - unfortunately.

I have asked on the Plex forum and the reddit /Plex forum. I have recieved no replies to my posts.

What if I were to wipe the drive entirely? Would that get me back to a better place?

Is there something that SSH provides that the web ui doesn't? Do I need to persue that avenue?

Thank you!

Marc

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Minkin wrote:

What if I were to wipe the drive entirely? Would that get me back to a better place?

A factory reset would of course resolve the uninstall problem, and give you a clean slate to try again.

It is of course painful.

@Minkin wrote:

I don't know anything about SSH - unfortunately.

Is there something that SSH provides that the web ui doesn't? 

It would give you a bit more information on what is going wrong.  But if you don't know linux then it's not a good path.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements