× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Plex on ReadyNAS 314 not visible to Plex clients

RupertGiles
Apprentice

Plex on ReadyNAS 314 not visible to Plex clients

ReadyNAS 314 with 4x2TB WD2003

Firmware 6.10.5

I've had Plex running on my ReadyNAS for a few years. Sometime over the last year or two, Plex stopped distributing new versions through the Apps page within ReadyNAS. So I kept the app updated by downloading from Plex, and installing manually ("Upload" on the Apps page). This had always worked without a problem.

My devices (iPad, iPhone) are no longer able to connect to the Plex server running on the ReadyNAS. When I login to Plex through the Plex portal, Plex is unable to find my ReadyNAS. I have tried the following:

• Manually updating the app to the most recent version
  • Uninstalling / reinstalling the app
  • Uninstalling the new version by dropping to a command prompt, and using apt remove plexmediaserver
  • Cleaning up any leftovers with command apt autoremove
  • Verifying that the app had been removed by command apt list --installed
  • Reinstalling the version available on the ReadyNAS's page ("Available Apps")

Still not able to connect.

I did read somewhere that Plex now requires a particular version level for clients to connect. Is it possible that ReadyNAS is not able to support the most current version of Plex server?

I'd like to hear from any other users who have experience a similar issue, and what, if any, solution you were able to apply.

Thanks!

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Are you able to reach the NAS plex interface using the admin web ui?  It's possible that you need to reclaim the plex server (re-pairing it to your plex account).

Message 2 of 10
RupertGiles
Apprentice

By the admin web ui, do you mean the Plex login page that comes up when "Launch" button on the ReadyNAS App page is clicked?

After clicking Launch, I logged into the Plex web page. Plex reported that ReadyNAS couldn't be found.

FYI, ReadyCloud is turned off. There was a security report this week of hackers accessing Western Digital NAS's, and activating the "Return to Factory Settings". From the ReadyNAS command prompt, I am able to ping external servers.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@RupertGiles wrote:

By the admin web ui, do you mean the Plex login page that comes up when "Launch" button on the ReadyNAS App page is clicked?

Yes, I meant the launch button (or alternatively https://nas-ip-address:32400 )

Message 4 of 10
RupertGiles
Apprentice

Yes - did that, logged in to the Plex web portal which then reported that it couldn't find my NAS.

I'm thinking I'll try a fresh install from the downloaded binary. I've confirmed again that all prior instances of Plex have been removed.

Any thoughts?

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@RupertGiles wrote:

Yes - did that, logged in to the Plex web portal which then reported that it couldn't find my NAS.

I'm thinking I'll try a fresh install from the downloaded binary. I've confirmed again that all prior instances of Plex have been removed.

Any thoughts?

Is it not showing it, or is it saying it is off-line/not reachable?

If it's not showing it, then the issue might be that the server needs to be claimed in your account.

Message 6 of 10
RupertGiles
Apprentice

Hmmm...let me try with a fresh install.

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 10
RupertGiles
Apprentice

So I've performed a fresh install, and launched the app.

On the Plex page (from my ReadyNAS), I get the message:

"The server '<<myNAS>>' is unreachable. Make sure it's running, double check your network, and try again."

The NAS was shown in the sidebar, but as unreachable. I deleted it, logged off from the Plex page, toggled the service OFF on Frontview, and back ON again. The Plex page said that the NAS would reappear upon relaunching the app.

Upon relaunch, Plex doesn't see the ReadyNAS at all. I've even tried rebooting the NAS, but to no avail.

I'm at a loss. Both the ReadyNAS and the Mac (Firefox) that I'm using to access FrontView are both on the same internal LAN.

I'm at a loss!

Message 8 of 10
RupertGiles
Apprentice

Okay - I've found a solution, from here. Apparently, even though Plex is running on my local LAN, it was unwilling to recognize my local domain, even though both dig and nslookup find the NAS by name without a problem.

By opening the Plex url with 192.168.1.xx:32400, I got right to the setup page that allowed me to point to the Videos folder on the ReadyNAS.

Accesing the Plex server by name had never been a problem before, but perhaps through a combination of changes to the ReadyNAS O/S and the Plex server, it simply didn't want to work.

If you (or anyone) has any further thoughts on this issue, I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks!

Message 9 of 10
RupertGiles
Apprentice

I have further discovered that it is only when Plex is launched from within the ReadyNAS interface that it can't seem to find itself.

If I open a browser tab with http://mynas:32400/web/index.html#!/, it works perfectly. All my video content is available both through the browser, and from my iOS devices.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements