× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Plex update on ReadyNAS

RupertGiles
Apprentice

Plex update on ReadyNAS

This is an "FYI" Post

My Specs:

ReadyNAS 314 (4x2TB, X-RAID/RAID5)

OS 6.10.2

Now at Plex:

1.18.2.2058-e67a4e892 - November 22, 2019

Notes:

I installed the version of Plex on my ReadyNAS that was already listed on my ReadyNAS as being available.

I had a problem connecting to it with the DNS name of my ReadyNAS. One of the forums suggested using the unit's IP instead of the name, and this worked.

Shortly after setting up my Plex videos, Plex reported that a server update was available. Since this update wasn't listed on the ReadyNAS itself, I downloaded the .deb file to my iMac, then used the "Upload" button to instal it on my ReadyNAS. The install went perfectly. In addition to updating the software, it apparently fixed the issue of accessing the server by name, which now works perfectly as well.

While it would be nice if Netgear made the latest updates to their promoted apps (of which Plex is one) easily available on the "Apps" page, uploading the .deb file worked without a problem.

Model: RN31442D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (4x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@RupertGiles wrote:

While it would be nice if Netgear made the latest updates to their promoted apps (of which Plex is one) easily available on the "Apps" page ...

I believe that was actually up to Plex, and that some time ago they decided they wanted to distribute their server software (including updates) directly.

Message 2 of 9
RupertGiles
Apprentice

I suppose there's some logic to that. However, since Plex is one of the 'Featured" apps in FrontView, would there be a way to include a note to that effect? Or a link to Plex's downloads page? Just a thought...

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@RupertGiles wrote:

I suppose there's some logic to that. However, since Plex is one of the 'Featured" apps in FrontView, would there be a way to include a note to that effect? Or a link to Plex's downloads page? Just a thought...

That would be up to Netgear of course.  But it does make some sense.

Message 4 of 9

I have a similar situation using RR2304 and RN526X NAS, both on 6.10.2. that includes Plex Server 1.11 while the current version is already 1.18 . So I downloaded the plexmediaserver_1.18.6.2368-97add474d_amd64.deb which should be for Netgear NAS Intel 64 bit processor.

In December I tried the manual upload on the RR2304, result was that nothing worked any more and I had to reinstall the 1.11 Plex from scratch.

Can you confirm that uploading the .deb is the intended way to do it? Then, keep fingers crossed and retry? I don't have proper Linux knowledge to get along the installation logs so I need to consinder beforehand.

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@ThomasNanninga wrote:

Can you confirm that uploading the .deb is the intended way to do it? 

That is certainly the way Plex intends you to do it.

Message 6 of 9
RupertGiles
Apprentice

That worked perfectly for me. I downloaded the update (.deb), and used the "Upload" button in FrontView to navigate to it. ReadyNAS was smart enough to recognize it as an update, and siimply installed it

Message 7 of 9

I did the same way and it worked perfectly; Thanks. Plex server 1.18 has a nice dashboard of system utilization.

I ever thought that Plex Updates only come within a ReadyNas SW update but obviously this has changed at some point. Good to know because Plex is pretty active with updates.

>>I believe that was actually up to Plex, and that some time ago they decided they wanted to distribute their server software (including updates) directly.<<

Message 8 of 9
RupertGiles
Apprentice

If you read farther up in the string, you'll see that exact topic--auto-update vs. user update--discussed. Apparently, Plex decdied they wanted to deliver their own updates to the end-user, rather than having them delivered by a third party, such as Netgear. I've updated twice since I originally installed Plex, and it went smoothly both times.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements