× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems running Plex Media Server after 6.6.0 update

Pinkyg
Apprentice

Problems running Plex Media Server after 6.6.0 update

Plex was running fine until readynas update to 6.6.0. I have removed plex from my rn214 and uploaded the new version 1.2.2 for ARM 6.x RN2xx. Anytime i try to turn it on it returns and error after a minute or so "Application failed to initialize. Empty resource error. Bad NML call. Code 22002010000".
Not sure what to try from here.
Message 1 of 82

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Problems running Plex Media Server after 6.6.0 update

Short answer:

So if you have problems with starting Plex for RN2XX since the upgrade to 6.6.0 please try rebooting your NAS or wait it out and it should fix itself. It might be about 5-10 minutes (or perhaps a bit longer - it does depend on things such as your internet connection) after a reboot or so before it fixes itself.

Then you should be able to start Plex which is your confirmation that it is fixed.

More info:

We have uploaded the missing package to our repository.

Glad it turned out to be a simple fix.

You can download the logs and look in packages.log to see which packages are installed. This log is generated from
# dpkg -l

You should see ii next to the package if it is installed properly. The version of libc6:armhf should match the one for libc6:armel

I think if I'm reading it right that the 1.2.2 installer only installs the libc6:armhf package if on firmware prior to 6.6.0 so if you last factory reset on 6.6.0 and installed 1.2.2 rather than 1.1.4 or earlier first the necessary package likely won't be installed. Hopefully Plex fixes this in the next PlexPass version of Plex Media Server.

The public 1.1.4 version should work on 6.6.0 now too, I think.

If you did happen to have done a factory reset on 6.6.0 and installed the 1.2.2 app and there is no libc6:armhf in the packages list (not even an old version that needs updating) you could do:

# apt-get update
# apt-get install libgcc1:armhf libc6:armhf

to force the missing packages to be installed.

Edit: siigna's suggestion below:

Alternatively the libc6:armhf package can be downloaded from our repository and uploaded to the NAS (Apps > Upload), for those uncomfortable with SSH access.  An apt-get update will be performed as part of the installation.

View solution in original post

Message 61 of 82

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Might be best to ask about that on the Plex community and wait for a production compatibility fix.

Message 2 of 82
jhagg
Luminary

I am pretty sure I read here that other people have been running Plex fine on 6.6.0  I myself have not upgraded yet as I am waiting for a version of NZBGet that works because I cannot live without it.

Message 3 of 82
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The issue affects the RN21x. Users of x86 models are unaffected.

Message 4 of 82
Pinkyg
Apprentice

I've raised the question in the plex community too. Fairly disappointing though that the update has caused a problem, given that the rn214 was heavily marketed towards plex media server. Only had my nas 11 days.....
Message 5 of 82
jhagg
Luminary

Sorry to hear that Pinkyg, I did see that this issue is stickied at the top of the Netgear/ReadyNAS section of Plex Forums, prfetty sure it is getting some attention and a fix will be on the way soon. 

Message 6 of 82
Pinkyg
Apprentice

Yes it is officially not working. I got a response from a netgear support ticket saying there currently is no workaround but that netgear/plex were working towards a solution.
Message 7 of 82
Pinkyg
Apprentice

Hi Folks,

Just figured I'd update the thread in case anyone else is following.

Still offline and no updates on a resolution.....

Message 8 of 82
jhagg
Luminary

We are about due for a new Plex Media Server release, hopefully the issue will be addressed in it, are you on Plex Pass so you can get the latest versions? 

Message 9 of 82
Pinkyg
Apprentice

Hi jhagg,

Yes I'm on plex pass, wasn't 1.2.2 only released on the 5th October?

Message 10 of 82
jhagg
Luminary

They seem to do a Plex Pass release about every 2 weeks and sometimes earlier to push something critical, hopefully your issue is something critical and fixed!

Message 11 of 82
Eckers
Guide

Yes, it certainly is critical. I'm disappointed it hasn't been fixed already 😕
Message 12 of 82
Pinkyg
Apprentice

It's good to hear they release new versions that often 🙂

Fingers crossed the next version corrects the problem.

I have to agree with Eckers though, it shouldn't take this long to fix.

In fact, given that the rn214 was heavily marketed towards running PMS, it should never have been allowed to happen in the 1st place.

Message 13 of 82
jhagg
Luminary

It is taking too long to fix I agree.  This one isn't really Netgears fault, something happened on the Plex end and they are the ones that need to push a solution, although it would be nice if the Netgear techs reached out to them and applied a bit of pressure since as you mentioned, Netgear did use Plex in its marketing.

Message 14 of 82
Pinkyg
Apprentice

I'm not so sure that I place the blame on the Plex side though tbh.

After all, Plex was running fine before I applied the readynas update 6.6.0

Maybe I'm taking too simple an approach to the whole thing....

In my mind, the 6.6.0 update should have been tested with the current release of PMS before rollout. Maybe even communicate to registered users of the rn214 (etc), when they need to update their version of PMS, although this would only work with proper testing.

Again this is just my point of view, it's quite possible there could be something I'm overlooking!

Message 15 of 82
jhagg
Luminary

You have changed my mind, you are absolutely correct.

Message 16 of 82
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

6.6.0 includes a major update to the core OS from Debian 7 to Debian 8. This is a major update and like with a major update under the hood for your smartphone, tablet or PC, app updates can be required to address compatibility issues.

This core update was necessary. It was only a matter of when the timing was right, not if it would be done. It will be much easier to maintain the OS compared with backporting to Debian 7.

6.6.0 builds were available for public testing for close to two months before we released the production build providing ample time for developers to test and verify compatibility of their apps with the new update and it will make things easier for app developers too once they've updated their apps (for those that need an update).

Ultimately it's up to 3rd party app developers to test app compatibility and address any issues.

Apps that we don't distribute via Available Apps or apps.readynas.com we tend not to routinely test for compatibility issues with major OS updates.

Message 17 of 82
Pinkyg
Apprentice

Hi mdgm,

This is the crux of the problem. The rn214 was heavily marketed towards running a Plex Media server.

Given this, why is it no longer available via readynas.com? Why is it not routinely tested for compatibility issues?

Using PMS on the rn214 should be a walk in the park, at least that's what the marketing would have you believe.

I agree with your stance for apps in general, but I feel Netgear have a repsonsibility in this for PMS. 

I bought an rn214 based on Netgears marketing, not Plex marketing.

Message 18 of 82
Pinkyg
Apprentice

Hi mdgm,

I do agree with your points. 3rd party app developers should be testing their apps well in advance of release of the netgear readynas updates.

I feel however that Netgears marketing towards running PMS on the rn214 makes this scenario a little different.

Given that a lot of consumers would have purchased the nas to run a PMS (myself included) on the back of Netgears marketing, I feel Netgear have a responsibility to ensure that any readynas update won't knock PMS offline. Couldn't compatibility have been confirmed before rolling out the 6.6.0 update?

You also mentioned "Apps that we don't distribute via Available Apps or apps.readynas.com we tend not to routinely test for compatibility issues with major OS updates."

I find it strange that PMS is no longer available via readynas.com, again due to the marketing of the rn214.

Could the PMS app be reinstated to readynas.com and compatibility tested before any further updates? It would sure improve the situation for the consumer...

Message 19 of 82
SergeBaeyens
Aspirant

I made the update thinking it will just improve my security... And I also bought this netgear for have a good plex server at home. I'm not happy with this situation ! Is there an idea of timing to solve this issue ??

Message 20 of 82
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

For timing you would have to ask Plex, but with software it's always difficult to put an ETA on things.

Message 21 of 82
siigna
NETGEAR Expert

For reference, from the Plex forum:

ziggimon wrote:

To all users with the ReadyNAS RN2xx series NAS with transcoder enabled Plex Media Server builds please read this!!

We have noticed that the Firmware 6.6 version brought some under the hood changes that requires some tweaks made to Plex Media Server, so if you are running with this device and want to continue to use Plex Media Server on it, please delay upgrading to Firmware 6.6 just yet. We are working on a fix to make it work on the updated firmware.

Stay tuned!

UPDATE: Plex Pass version of Plex Media Server 1.2.1 has a fix that again makes PMS run on the RN2xx series.

Message 22 of 82
Eckers
Guide

I have a Plex Pass and download and keep all the updates to PMS but I have never seen PMS version 1.2.1. The latest version is 1.2.2 and before that it was 1.1.4 I think. Older versions are no longer available from Plex so we're stuck with waiting for an update. As a matter of interest, does anyone have version 1.2.1?

Message 23 of 82
Pinkyg
Apprentice

Hi siigna.

Yes I've seen the statement from ziggimon on the plex forums. It seems 1.2.2 (not 1.2.1) is working in their test environment but this doesn't appear to be the case for users.

They are working on it to try and establish why.

Hi Eckers,

I have never seen 1.2.1. There was a mention of a build that had errors which was only posted for a short time, maybe that was 1.2.1.

Message 24 of 82
Eckers
Guide

I've managed it install and get running PMS 1.2.2.2857 for Readynas other than RN2XX models and it is working on my RN214. I've lost all my playlists but least it's recreating my library again

Message 25 of 82
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 81 replies
  • 34 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements